Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pennzoil Marine

I'm getting ready for winterizing and maintenance. I live in Medford, OR and I'm having a difficult time locating all the Pennzoil products required for the Indmar Monsoon. For the cost of the boat, I don't mind buying the recommeded products to make it last. Anyone know of a one stop shop I can get oil, filter, grease, Dexron, etc. Getting a bit frustrated finding this stuff.

Ryan

Any auto store will do. At least for me. The oil I use is not labeled "marine", but it is Penzoil 15W40 heavy duty. It is usually stocked away from the main oils and down in the section where diesel oils are found. I really don't know what if anything is different about "marine" oil. But because the viscosity is right and it is inteneded for heavy duty cycles like these engines see, I don't think there is anything wrong with using the diesel oil. I think that's the only way you'll find a 15W40 other than synthetic.

do you have West Marines in your area? they have most of the products (i just bought the oil in gallon containers Friday). they are a bit more expensive, but they have it. You can probably order it through their website, if you can't find it anywhere else.

Any auto store will do. At least for me. The oil I use is not labeled "marine", but it is Penzoil 15W40 heavy duty. It is usually stocked away from the main oils and down in the section where diesel oils are found. I really don't know what if anything is different about "marine" oil. But because the viscosity is right and it is inteneded for heavy duty cycles like these engines see, I don't think there is anything wrong with using the diesel oil. I think that's the only way you'll find a 15W40 other than synthetic.

Just be certain that the oil you use meets API grade CI-4 (or, even better, CI-4 Plus). Thats the API grade for "severe duty" oil. CI-4 is a step above CF-4. And, of course, use the viscosity that is recommended. The Pennzoil "Marine" oil meets the CI-4 requirement. People can and will debate endlessly about the best brand of oil and whether synthetic is better. In my opinion, as long as you buy an oil that meets the CI-4 designation, you are fine. Just me, but tripleing the cost of changing your oil by going synthetic, is not worth it.

Chevron Delo 400 15-40 is an equivalent and can be found at a lot of auto parts stores and costco which is where I get it.

Shell Rotella will also work. There all diesel/turbo diesel engine rated oils (hi detergent low ash oils)and that is basically the same ratings as the Penzoil Marine stuff.

API service ratings for the Chevron Delo 400 15-40 are

CI-4 PLUS,CI-4,CH-4,CF-4,CG-4,CD,SC,SJ,SH,SG...

Napa will have a better quality filter than the Penzoil which is just a rebranded POS Fram filter.

Here's the stuff I get: http://www.pennzoil.com/products/LongLife/..._shorthaul.html

Yes, it's CI-4 rated. I would probably get the marine specific if it was readily accessible. But for most people it's not stocked at the corner store. IMO this 15W40 is a good substitute. And like Gordo said, I use synthetic in most of my cars to extend the change interval. Unless you are running hundreds of hours per year in the boat (IE, multiple oil changes per season), I wouldn't go to synthetic either.

There is a CARQUEST location in town whose oil filters are actually WIX filters, just ask to cross reference Pennzoil P-Z3 . I've never used any of the Penzoil stuff.

Carquest Auto Parts

(541) 773-8456 - 335 E Mcandrews Rd, Medford, OR

Chevron Delo 400 15-40 is an equivalent and can be found at a lot of auto parts stores and costco which is where I get it.

Shell Rotella will also work. There all diesel/turbo diesel engine rated oils (hi detergent low ash oils)and that is basically the same ratings as the Penzoil Marine stuff.

API service ratings for the Chevron Delo 400 15-40 are

CI-4 PLUS,CI-4,CH-4,CF-4,CG-4,CD,SC,SJ,SH,SG...

Napa will have a better quality filter than the Penzoil which is just a rebranded POS Fram filter.

FYI, its the convention of the API (American Petroleum Institute) to list their API grades from most severe to least. So, once you see the CI-4 PLUS designation (in the example above), you can quit reading and disregard the remaining API grades - the first one listed is the highest (best) for that oil. Lastly - Since the Chevron Delo gets the CI-4 PLUS rating, its just as good as the Pennzoil product, IMO. Same goes for any other brand with the CI-4PLUS designation.

Edited by Gordo

Nothing special about Pennzoil....just that Indmar has a marketing agreement with them. Any 15W40 CI-4/SL oil will do. Not true of oil filters, however. The Pennzoil filter recommended is made by Fram - same as a Fram XtraGuard, which is consistently low-rated as an oil filter. Stop by NAPA and get a Wix 51069 or a NAPA Gold 1069 to replace the PZ-3.

Nothing special about Pennzoil....just that Indmar has a marketing agreement with them. Any 15W40 CI-4/SL oil will do. Not true of oil filters, however. The Pennzoil filter recommended is made by Fram - same as a Fram XtraGuard, which is consistently low-rated as an oil filter. Stop by NAPA and get a Wix 51069 or a NAPA Gold 1069 to replace the PZ-3.

Be aware that you are mixing two different API grades when you say CI-4/SL. The SL designation is for gasoline engines and is a lessor grade than the CI-4 designation. Look for an oil with a CI-4 PLUS designation. You can then disregard the other designations.

Be aware that you are mixing two different API grades when you say CI-4/SL. The SL designation is for gasoline engines and is a lessor grade than the CI-4 designation. Look for an oil with a CI-4 PLUS designation. You can then disregard the other designations.

It just delineates the specs it must meet. The older oils were labeled as meeting both API CI-4 and SL and that's what Indmar recommended, in fact still recommends in their current engine owner's manual. Most of the older CI-4/SL - labeled oils were already formulated to meet CI-4 Plus, and were just relabeled without having to be reformulated.

I'm getting ready for winterizing and maintenance. I live in Medford, OR and I'm having a difficult time locating all the Pennzoil products required for the Indmar Monsoon. For the cost of the boat, I don't mind buying the recommeded products to make it last. Anyone know of a one stop shop I can get oil, filter, grease, Dexron, etc. Getting a bit frustrated finding this stuff.

Ryan

Thanks to all who contributed your knowledge of oil. I'll be off to buy DELO and a quality filter after work and the BU will get the lay up she deserves. Next, the jet skis and poor old pontoon boat that never get any lovin'. First things first though. Clap.gif

what does the API SM stand for?

SM=For all automotive engines currently

in use. Introduced November 30, 2004,

SM oils are designed to provide improved

oxidation resistance, improved deposit

protection, better wear protection, and

better low-temperature performance over

the life of the oil. Some SM oils may also

meet the latest ILSAC specification

and/or qualify as Energy Conserving.

API=American Petroleum Institute

CI-4 PLUS: Used in conjunction with API CI-4, the “CI-4 PLUS” designation identifies oils formulated to provide a higher level of protection against soot-related viscosity increase and viscosity loss due to shear in diesel engines. Like Energy Conserving, CI-4 PLUS appears in the lower portion of the API Service Symbol “Donut.”

category to maintain performance.

CI-4 and CI-4 plus are now oils from the past. CJ-4 and CJ-4 plus have been around since the beginning of summer and are backwards compatable to CI oil requirements. Mobil, Castrol, and Shell are some of the oils meeting the newest CJ requirement. No doubt there are more and the list will grow.

Lots of discussion about oil. Biggest "bang for your buck" will be buying a good filter. I agree thats its best to stay clear of Penzoil and Fram filters. Napa Gold is a step up. Better yet is a K&N or Mobil. Both of these filters are readily available at Schucks for about $11 which isn't much more than a $5 Fram. I used to have the specs for these filters but recall them being the best of the readily available filters.

Ryan

I intatalled the napa gold filter and it was considerable larger than the quicksilver filter that the dealer used. I took quit some time to fill it and held about 2/3 of a quart of oil.