Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

sanding scuffs out of hull

Ok, I picked an area about the size of the palm of my hand on the transom to try and get rid of one of the many board dings. I used 1000 grit wet sand paper and went at it as lightly as I could and while the scuff is gone, I now have a major dull area on my black finish. I've put one coat of polish on it, but I'm nervous that I've really screwed up here cause its not improving much with the polish.

Ok, I picked an area about the size of the palm of my hand on the transom to try and get rid of one of the many board dings. I used 1000 grit wet sand paper and went at it as lightly as I could and while the scuff is gone, I now have a major dull area on my black finish. I've put one coat of polish on it, but I'm nervous that I've really screwed up here cause its not improving much with the polish.

Try buffing w/ a high speed orbital buffer and some light compound. Then, after the compound, go at it w/ a foam pad and some good polish (I use Wizards brand car polish) and it should bring the "shine back." Unless of course you have sanded throught the "clear coat" :Doh: covering your gel coat. In that case, you may need a professional to repair it. Good Luck!!!!

No worries. There is not a "clear coat" on gel unless you are working with metal flake. I have sanded out many scratches in various boats. I start with the 1000 grit (or for really bad scratches 600 then move to the 1000). I then use the 3m Super Duty rubbing compound by hand (for small areas like yours) working the compound with firm pressure until the abrasive is almost completely broken down (this just takes a few minutes). This removes the 1000 grit scratches but will still leave the finish a bit dull. I then use the 3m Cleaner Wax which has a very mild abrasive in it. This will bring the shine back up to the rest of the boat. I finish off with just a standard 100% carnuba wax.

Edited by BrianM
No worries. There is not a "clear coat" on gel unless you are working with metal flake. I have sanded out many scratches in various boats. I start with the 1000 grit (or for really bad scratches 600 then move to the 1000). I then use the 3m Super Duty rubbing compound by hand (for small areas like yours) working the compound with firm pressure until the abrasive is almost completely broken down (this just takes a few minutes). This removes the 1000 grit scratches but will still leave the finish a bit dull. I then use the 3m Cleaner Wax which has a very mild abrasive in it. This will bring the shine back up to the rest of the boat. I finish off with just a standard 100% carnuba wax.

Pretty much the same thing I do. Biggrin.gif

Same here. Gel coat is actually easier to work with than automotive clear coat IMO. I had some pretty deep scuffs. I do 400-600-1500-2000 grit. I would probably try something finer than 1000 before going to polishing. I then have two buff pads for my buffer. Keep in mind this isn't the "orbital waxer", but a decent buffer or polisher. You can get them pretty cheap. Mine actually came from Harbor Freight for less than $50. Does fine for me no more than I use it. You'll want something better for higher use. Anyway, get some good buffing pads. I have a medium cut that I use 3m rubbing compound on after the 2000 grit, then I move to a fine cut pad with 3m polishing glaze, then I go to a hand pad with just fine polish like 3m Finesse It or meguires. Just be careful with a high speed buffer. Don't stay in any one spot for too long or with too much pressure. You'll burn the gel and then it will be hard to fix.

I agree with the crowd...don't worry. I did the same thing this past summer, the first time I might add. Seeing the "blue water" run down my hull was a little unsettleing and then to see the "dull area" where I had just sanded!!!! I used the 3M product line, a real good compound by hand and then the orbital buffer and then finesse it (also 3M) and it came out pretty darn good for a first timer. My understanding is that you can wet sand a ways before doing too much damage, just keep the paper good and wet. Good Luck.

Thanks for the help guys. I followed your advice and used the 3M rubbing compound and then the cleaner wax. It definitely improved the situation and looks pretty good in daylight. I had hoped I could return it to its former glory, but on close inspection (especially under a halogen spot light) there is a dullness that I was not able to get out on the black surfaces. But its probably only noticeable to me and now that I have a transom saver, I'm hoping to keep from getting this many dings in the future. Thanks again for your helpful responses.

Same here. I got a transom saver mid-season and I'm hoping this is the last year I have to clean all the scuffs off the back (left by all my guests of course).

Tell me about a transom saver.......what is it and where do I get in line to have on of my very own?

There is a discussion here about the pad. There was a group buy. I don't believe that the pad is available from Malibu Essentials anymore. You could also try connecting with huskydawg directly.

Thanks for the help guys. I followed your advice and used the 3M rubbing compound and then the cleaner wax. It definitely improved the situation and looks pretty good in daylight. I had hoped I could return it to its former glory, but on close inspection (especially under a halogen spot light) there is a dullness that I was not able to get out on the black surfaces. But its probably only noticeable to me and now that I have a transom saver, I'm hoping to keep from getting this many dings in the future. Thanks again for your helpful responses.

You should be able to make it look like new with no problem. What is your buffer RPM ? Should be 1500 minimum.