Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Magnum or Extreme trailer purchase

thesweetlife

I'm trying to finalize my decision on purchasing a boat trailer for the 2005 Wakesetter VLX that I bought a week ago. I've narrowed my search to either a Magnum or Extreme trailer. My local Malibu dealer has both trailers on their lot, so I can drive away with a trailer by next week. Any opinions on the better trailer of the two? The Extreme will cost about $900 more than the Magnum. But - Extreme comes with a 5 year warranty (versus one year for the Magnum). Extreme is also a much heavier built trailer, has disc brakes on all 4 tires, and just looks better than the Magnum. Is all of this worth the extra $900, tho? A concern is that Extreme is out of California, and Magnum is located in Austin, TX (very close to me). Not sure if that should be a concern if warranty work is done in Texas. If there are any Magnum or Extreme owners out that that have an opinion, I would appreciate it..... :)

Well I can only give an opinion on extreme. I had an issue with some wiring on my trailer and didn't want to leave it at the dealer for 2 weeks for them to figure it out. I called up extreme and they were awsome to deal with, they even paid me to fix it myself along with sending me the new parts I needed. I personally think that extreme makes the nicest trailers, I've seen the rest but like extreme the best. Boatmate also makes a good trailer, but I didn't think they were as nice.

I'm trying to finalize my decision on purchasing a boat trailer for the 2005 Wakesetter VLX that I bought a week ago. I've narrowed my search to either a Magnum or Extreme trailer. My local Malibu dealer has both trailers on their lot, so I can drive away with a trailer by next week. Any opinions on the better trailer of the two? The Extreme will cost about $900 more than the Magnum. But - Extreme comes with a 5 year warranty (versus one year for the Magnum). Extreme is also a much heavier built trailer, has disc brakes on all 4 tires, and just looks better than the Magnum. Is all of this worth the extra $900, tho? A concern is that Extreme is out of California, and Magnum is located in Austin, TX (very close to me). Not sure if that should be a concern if warranty work is done in Texas. If there are any Magnum or Extreme owners out that that have an opinion, I would appreciate it..... :)

Ryan trailers are made in Oregon and in my opinion are among the best built and best looking. They use leaf springs vs. torsion axles which provide a much smoother ride, particularly when empty. All welds are covered with Bondo or something like a body shop would do to a car making one continuous smooth surface (one of the best parts), four wheel disc breaks and some other neat features. Check them out at thier website.

For the $900.00, I would take the Extreme, but as Yellowjacket noted, the Ryan is a better looking trailer than either. They are real nice. The only flaw with the welded together "smooth" look, is when your tire explodes like we too often read about during the hot months, it is not a simple bolt on job to replace your ruined trailer fender, it's a weld & paint trip. Also - I suppose you don't get the stainless fender option either ?

Ryan trailers are made in Oregon and in my opinion are among the best built and best looking. They use leaf springs vs. torsion axles which provide a much smoother ride, particularly when empty. All welds are covered with Bondo or something like a body shop would do to a car making one continuous smooth surface (one of the best parts), four wheel disc breaks and some other neat features. Check them out at thier website.

Ryan is a step up in cost from the Extreme, so that and the fact that it is doesn't sound like it's at the dealer is probably ruling out Ryan. In your situation I would go with the Extreme for the fact you said it's much heavier built and especially because of the extra brakes, that's about 1/2 of the $900 right there. You'll be glad when you just barely stop in time while towing your new boat after some one pulls out in front of you or jams on their brakes.

Extreme for sure. I wouldn't even think of another manufacturer, but Sport Boat Trailers does make a very good trailer as well.