Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 Malibu Cruise Speed Control RPM Mode

CTSunsetter

OK, we know the 2007 and older boats with Malibu Cruise have RPM mode but I've been on two 2008s and we can't find it. What is the deal on the '08s?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SmoothWaterMan

• Sunapee

• VinRLX

• BradScott

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually 2006 as well. Did you hit the button twice to get past speed mode?

Yup. If memory serves, when you hit it twice on the '08 it goes into preset mode.

There's no Malibu Cruise system on '05, it was new for '06 along with the TBW system.

So is there any write up or comparison of PerfectPass vs the Malibu cruise system? Those of you who made the transition, do you prefer either?

Well, PP on my '04 never worked very well in speed mode & we did eventually find the cause for that. In RPM mode, I prefer PP to the Malibu Cruise. It did a better job of taking hold at the right RPM & was smoother/more accurate. In speed mode, Cruise is still not perfect, but it works better than PP for us. But I have been in boats that PP was rock-steady, so given a good setup I think that I would choose PP for the performance aspect.

As far as ease of use however, there's no comparison IMO. Cruise is a much easier system to jump in & go with. PP has a learning curve to it.

OK, we know the 2007 and older boats with Malibu Cruise have RPM mode but I've been on two 2008s and we can't find it. What is the deal on the '08s?

CT, we just test drove an '08 Wakesetter about a month ago and it was there. The salesman showed how both speed and RPM mode worked.

CT, we just test drove an '08 Wakesetter about a month ago and it was there. The salesman showed how both speed and RPM mode worked.

You are the first to report it's there. Did you happen to see how it was put in RPM mode because it is not the same as '07 and earlier.

I checked with a third '08 owner tonight and he says it's not there and his conclusion is it was replaced for the preset feature. Maybe we will learn something more when the complete ’08 manuals come out. BantamVTX is waiting for his docs but the ’08 VLX I was on this week had some documentation with zero mention of RPM mode.

You are the first to report it's there. Did you happen to see how it was put in RPM mode because it is not the same as '07 and earlier.

I checked with a third '08 owner tonight and he says it's not there and his conclusion is it was replaced for the preset feature. Maybe we will learn something more when the complete '08 manuals come out. BantamVTX is waiting for his docs but the '08 VLX I was on this week had some documentation with zero mention of RPM mode.

Oops.gif

oops... Thought about it a bit more, and realized that we did indeed see it on the '07 that we ended up buying and NOT the '08. The '08 had the presets and we didn't see the RPM mode demo'd on it. Got it confused in a flurry of test drives.

Humbled again by my shaky memory... many apologies for the mis-info.

The mass consensus is correct, Malibu did not realize that skiers were using the RPM function, and when they introduced the PRESET feature on the 2008 models they felt that the RPM function created too many button pushes. So for the time is not included.

It can be added back in if customers are looking for it.

So, if you are in the market for a new Malibu and would prefer to have the RPM function in addition to the others, please email your dealer and/or Malibu requesting that they add the RPM function back in.

Thanks,

Peter

The mass consensus is correct, Malibu did not realize that skiers were using the RPM function, and when they introduced the PRESET feature on the 2008 models they felt that the RPM function created too many button pushes. So for the time is not included.

So, if you are in the market for a new Malibu and would prefer to have the RPM function in addition to the others, please email your dealer and/or Malibu requesting that they add the RPM function back in.

Thanks,

Peter

Peter,

Do you know if my dealer can add the PRESET function to my 07 Malibu speed control?

Thanks,

Peter

Peter,

Do you know if my dealer can add the PRESET function to my 07 Malibu speed control?

Or '06? That would be sweet.

Thanks,

Peter

Peter,

One can not upgrade to add the presets. The PRESET feature is integrated with the new MUX switching, which monitors the ballast levels as well, to provide a "total" rider preset. In order to get a PRESET feature to work you need to wrap it up in a 2008 boat. :)

Peter

Edited by SmoothWaterMan
Peter, Check your e-mail....

This is simply dumb! Mad.gifMad.gif

So, Will, I take it you use the RPM mode and want it on your '08? I don't know why Malibu would ditch it in the first place. Although, maybe you should give the presets a chance. . .you do have ballast tanks in your ski boat, right? Dontknow.gif

Thanks,

Peter

Thanks for the 411 on this Pete!

Peter, Check your e-mail....

This is simply dumb! Mad.gifMad.gif

So, Will, I take it you use the RPM mode and want it on your '08? I don't know why Malibu would ditch it in the first place. Although, maybe you should give the presets a chance. . .you do have ballast tanks in your ski boat, right? Dontknow.gif

Yes, I used the RPM mode this summer. It is the first time I did not order it with a PP, I figured it was easy enough to add if the Malibu Speed Control didn't give a quality pull in RPM Mode. We found the pull to be excellent, and the interface to be very straight forward compared to the PP interface! But now I may have to spend the money and go back to PP. My take on it is that someone at the factory who knows nothing about slalom made a decision that saved Malibu nothing and cost me $1,400. Mad.gif

Sometimes we just need to speak up about our feelings. :)

Rumor's exist already about RPM Mode coming back. If it becomes verifiable I'll post it up.

Peter

I'm speaking up about my feelings right now. I don't need presets unless it includes a 'pull-up/go to speed/specific skier' mode. Either way, I DO IN FACT WANT RPM mode on a new boat. Yes.gif

I'm speaking up about my feelings right now. I don't need presets unless it includes a 'pull-up/go to speed/specific skier' mode. Either way, I DO IN FACT WANT RPM mode on a new boat. Yes.gif

Plus1.gif

Jack, Chaabo, et all.... Please make sure that your dealer and/or Malibu hears this directly from you. It is important that they get the message LOUD and clear.

Can't say I am too impressed with the Malibu Cruise for serious slalom runs. There is a significant hiccup on the turn around if the cruise is engaged. I like the feel of Perfect Pass better in the course, along with the adjustments that can be made. Malibu cruise is pretty easy to set up, so if it could be fixed, it might be better.

Can't say I am too impressed with the Malibu Cruise for serious slalom runs. There is a significant hiccup on the turn around if the cruise is engaged. I like the feel of Perfect Pass better in the course, along with the adjustments that can be made. Malibu cruise is pretty easy to set up, so if it could be fixed, it might be better.

Its performance in the turns at the end of the course might depend on the type of turn you are making, I did not experience any problems. I can live with a hiccup in a turn as long as it preforms well "IN" the course. All the adjustments are what turns me away from the PP. We (on my lake) do not run ,or ski in, tournaments and have no need for any additional adjustments past what was available form Malibu last year. It is more important for us to have a simple to use setup (PP is WAAAYYYY to user UN-friendly). It is also important to us to not spend the $$ for PP when Malibu has already proven that their's works fine in our environment.

All I am asking Malibu to do is to put something back that they removed. Those involved with tournaments will no doubt add PP to their boats. I am curious what percent of Response owners do not go to tournaments.

Woodski - We discussed that specific problem a while ago.

If I remember it right, it was only present in Speed Mode.

That's one of the reasons I prefer to use the RPM Mode.

Once dialed in it works perfect for slalom!

Here's the 'Hiccup' topic:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9956

Edited by Chaabo