Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Getting the BIG guy up.

Baddog

Last week I took a couple I work with out to ski for thier first time.

She, 5' nothing @ 110# got up and SKIED on her 3rd try. Obviously superior teaching and an athletic and smart student.

He, 6'1 @280# just couldn't do it. I tried fast accelerate, slow accelerate, medium accelerate, scruntch up, scruntch up more, drag for a little while, visualize, whatever. I just couldn't get his skis to move enough on the water to start to plane before he couldn't hold on any longer. And he held on for quite some time as the handle, when he let go, would fly almost back to the transom.

Any ideas on getting a full sized novice up on two?

As a guy that weighs 380#, I can tell you it is all about having big enough skis. Technique is also very important. He has to help himself out of the water. The boom would be a great training tool. He could get up very easily and learn the technique before he tries long line. I use big showboard skis. Here is a picture of some of our club skiers on them. As you can see, they support a lot of weight.

BTW: Not going to weigh 380# for long. Just had the barriatric surgery (down to 300# now). I should be 180# by Christmas. Look out for me on the skis next summer.

post-207-1118671947_thumb.jpg

Edited by summerfun

Use the wakeboard tower to pull him out...helps keep him from bending at the waist...

I would also consider using a wakeboard static line so you don't shatter a window or a person's skull in the boat when he loads up the rope and lets go....

This sounds like me trying to slalom last summer. Only ski I have is a an old Kidder redline graphite, 65". I think it was sized right when I weighed 130 in like 8th grade? Now I weigh 230.

No matter what I did, I could not get up on the ski. Slow take off, fast, medium, whatever, half the lake went up my nose, and eventually I couldn't hold the rope. To slalom I'd need one of those Connelly "Big Daddies."

I think I'll stick with wakeboarding. :) Sooo easy to get up.

I tried my stick this past weekend for the first time in 3-5 years. I was a little lighter and stronger than, and after a lot of wakeboarding, surfing, etc, I just didn't have the arm strength / technique to get up on my decent HO ski. Since I wanted to get up on something, I tried one of those fat skis, and was able to get right up, without too much effort. I think next time out, I may try getting up on my ski first (before I do anything else that day) to see if that helps at all. I don't really like skiing all that much, but I figure its something I'd still like to know how to do.

Many years ago, I did find those easy-up ropes were very helpful for me (in the beginning) and for others just learning. Have you thought of getting him up on 2 and then dropping one for now?

Last week I took a couple I work with out to ski for thier first time.

She, 5' nothing @ 110# got up and SKIED on her 3rd try.  Obviously superior teaching and an athletic and smart student.

He, 6'1 @280# just couldn't do it.  I tried fast accelerate, slow accelerate, medium accelerate, scruntch up, scruntch up more, drag for a little while, visualize, whatever.  I just couldn't get his skis to move enough on the water to start to plane before he couldn't hold on any longer.  And he held on for quite some time as the handle, when he let go, would fly almost back to the transom.

Any ideas on getting a full sized novice up on two?

(try a wakeboard)

Have you thought of getting him up on 2 and then dropping one for now?

Had him on big wide pair of skis.

Some people just aren't built for it and some just can't seem to get the balance thing going. Definitely use a no-stretch rope though, that handle could seriously hurt someone when it goes flying.

one word...

boom

280# on the boom is a lot of resistence. Any of you have driving tips in situations such as this? It seems that to counter-act the drag you have to steer away, but when the person releases/falls the stern goes right toward 'em. Thoughts?