Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tach for a 99 Response?

Just got an e-mail from a buddy with a 99 Response, looking for input an his tach that stopped working last week:

<"I've done a couple of experiments and I believe my problem is the tach itself, not the computer. Here's why.

All gauges but the tach work fine -- and other gauges work from the tach's harness too. I took off the dash and tried plugging the speedo harness into the tach and vice versa. The speedo still works fine and the tach is still not working.

The tach tries to initialize when you turn on the key. I can hear the motor in the tach trying to zero the gauge when the key is first turned on.

I can hear the motor in the tach trying to make fine adjustments even though the tach needle does not move much (moves about 1/16" that's it).

The digital tach in the speed control works (it is spliced into the main sender line that goes to the dash computer, I believe), and yup, the engine runs.

It's either a really sneaky problem in the computer, or it's a broken gear in the tach. I bet it is the gear.

THE PUNCH LINE

Where do I get a tach?

From casual inspection the tach looks sealed. If I pull it out of the dash, is there a way to open it up to check its drive motor and gears?

So... I'd like to try a "know good" tach to see if I'm right.

Would you please let me know what you recommend?">

Any experts out there with info, it would be appreciated!

I just removed one from our '00 SLXi when I installed Perfect Pass. It's the 5" gauge with white lettering. Let me know if that's what you need and we can work something out.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Everyone -- I'm "the guy" my friend "SUNAPEE" has been talking about.

While the death of my tach made me sad, the support here has given me hope!

I'm sending a few PM's to those here who said they have a tach with which they'd be willing to part.

Mine is the 5", white letters, black plastic trim ring from the "wood dash" version of the 1999 Response.

The boat is in great shape and I'm just trying to get it back to perfect!

Thanks again,

Geoff

Try this first... it worked for my 97 Tach that was acting bad.

If you pull down the panel that has the tach on it see if there's a dial on the back of the unit. I think it reads 4, 6, 8 (probably for cylinders). Move that dial back and forth several times to clean off any corrosion that might have gotten in there. Put it back in the original setting postion.

Try it now.

This fixed my Tach.... I think J_Ro gave me the tip.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Try this first... it worked for my 97 Tach that was acting bad.

If you pull down the panel that has the tach on it see if there's a dial on the back of the unit.  I think it reads 4, 6, 8 (probably for cylinders).  Move that dial back and forth several times to clean off any corrosion that might have gotten in there.  Put it back in the original setting postion.

Try it now. 

This fixed my Tach.... I think J_Ro gave me the tip.

i don't think that tip will work for his guages. he has the newer Medallian (I think that is the brand), which does not have any adjustments on them.

• 3 weeks later...

Well -- the problem DID turn out to be the gauge itself and several of the 'crew have jumped in to help.

I appreciate it greatly!

Haystack Biggrin.gif

• 10 months later...
Well -- the problem DID turn out to be the gauge itself and several of the 'crew have jumped in to help.

I appreciate it greatly!

Haystack Biggrin.gif

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but the tach/hour-meter on mine is acting up. On power on, the gauge will make it's power up buzz, but not always return to zero. It will sometime read somewhat close to accurately, other times it will walk around the dial like the second hand of a clock.

All the other gauges seem to work fine.

Is this gauge still available?

Does anybody out there in Malibu land have one they want to sell?

Thanks for your time,

Mike

I hope someone can help you out, Mike.

Just a thought for everyone else...a speedo shop should be able to repair tachs. if you can't find a used one.

Just a thought for everyone else...a speedo shop should be able to repair tachs. if you can't find a used one.

i have one. $25 plus shipping and its yours.

edit: forgot to add that it is the black graphite ringed gauge

Graphite Tach Picture

sorry about the quality of picture, when i get a chance a will replace it with one without glare.

Edited by jgouveia3

Ok, while were on the subject.....My analog tach doesn't work however the digital one (same guage in perfect pass) does. What up wit dat??? Bad connection in the back of the guage?

Thanks

Graphite Tach Picture

sorry about the quality of picture, when i get a chance a will replace it with one without glare.

Great, you can email me at <mrc3 at earthlink.net> with how you would like to receive payment.

Thanks a bunch,

Mike

The gauges in this cluster are not standard gauges in any way shape or fashion. THey are digitally servo controled gauges driven by an external (to the gauge) MPU. A speedo shop may or may not have the ability to repair them.

Mike

Graphite Tach Picture

Great, you can email me at <mrc3 at earthlink.net> with how you would like to receive payment.

Thanks a bunch,

Mike

Mike,

I sent you an email.

John

The gauges in this cluster are not standard gauges in any way shape or fashion. THey are digitally servo controled gauges driven by an external (to the gauge) MPU. A speedo shop may or may not have the ability to repair them.

Mike

Whaaaa?

They're not driven off the negative side of the coil?

Mike

Whaaaa?

They're not driven off the negative side of the coil?

The MPU is driven off the engine feed, and then the MPU tells the gauge what value to display. It's kind of a funky system, the MPU has a bunch of identical plugs off of it into which the Speedo, tach, and combo gauge (gas, temp, oil pressure, voltage) are all plugged into. And the plugs are interchangable in that you can put any plug into any gauge. I assume it is a serial interface with tagged frames and the gauge decides which frame it cares about.

Mike

Graphite Tach Picture

Thanks a bunch,

Mike

Mike,

I sent you an email.

John

John, got the tach today, works great. Thanks for your help.

Mike

Graphite Tach Picture

Thanks a bunch,

Mike

Mike,

I sent you an email.

John

John, got the tach today, works great. Thanks for your help.

Mike

great! glad i could help out.