Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The Secret Spot - World International Sports Film Festival

CallawayBros

The Secret Spot - World International Sports Film Festival

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings from Texas,

Good news for watersports!

We recently made it back from Moscow, Russia from the Krasnogorski International Sports Film Festival, where "The Secret Spot" was nominated for "Best Director". It was a once in a lifetime experience, especially to see Russia. They rolled out the Red Carpet and had Famous Actors/Acresses and Olympians from Russia giving out the awards. It was quite a production. At the closing ceremonies, they had their version of Randy Newman sing an original song with images of all the different nominated films flashing by. So it was pretty slick to see images of Pete Chase skiing the slalom course and Brian Sasser and Dustin Carlock fly by, to this guy's music. It was also pretty intimidating when you are running up against producers that have been to Cannes, Sundance and one producer's sports film was nominated for "Best Foreign Film" at the Oscars.

There are around 11 international sports film festivals around the world (Russia, China, Iran, UK, Australia....) and they all feed into the final finale in Milan, Italy for the World International Sports Film Festival.

We have been notified that we have been accepted to the Milan festival. Out of 975 films submitted from all over the globe, we will be taking Water Sports to the biggest Sports Film Festival in the world. It is my understanding that this is the first time Water Sports has made it in to this festival. Hopefully there will be many more water sports films to follow.

www.SportMoviesTV.com

"The Secret Spot" was also the first film highlighted on their website, for the upcoming film festival.

There will be approximately 200,000 folks that attend the screenings over 6 days in Milan.

Also, we were contacted by Amazon.com to release "The Secret Spot" in HD-DVD (estimated 30 days) and it is also available for VOD (Video On Demand) and DVD through our website.

www.TheSecretSpotHD.com

Maybe someday ESPN will again start showing water sports again instead of Hot Dog eating constests awuhoooo. Yahoo.gif

Ski Hard,

Callaway Bros.

That's awesome, congratulations and THANKS for a great film. That movie is one we always pull out for demos of our home theater. The film and sound quality is outstanding not to mention it's right here in our area.

Yep, great quality video. I brought it to the store with me to test out HD TVs. The guys in the shop were pretty amazed we had a video that could exploit the highest resolutions some of thier TVs could put out. It really made some of the TVs look terrible & others look awesome.

Yep, great quality video. I brought it to the store with me to test out HD TVs. The guys in the shop were pretty amazed we had a video that could exploit the highest resolutions some of thier TVs could put out. It really made some of the TVs look terrible & others look awesome.

Is the DVD a regular dvd, or a HD DVD?? I want one!!

Says it was mastered in 1080i. It'll really show your HDTV off!!

Check out their site at: http://www.thesecretspothd.com

Yea, I saw that, but when I go to order the movie, it appears as though it is on regular DVD, and is not available on a HD-DVD. At this point in the game it doesn't matter what its filmed on, if the quality is reduced to regular DVD quality (480P i believe?), then thats what you get. 480 is less than half the quality of 1080i/720, which is half the quality of true 1080P. ( i think?? Dontknow.gif Ive been doing alot of reading about this stuff in the last few weeks, and still am not quite sure about some of it...)

Dont mean to nit-pick here. It looks like a sweet movie. It would just be 100 times sweeter if it were in true 1080P!

Im gona order one in any case. I shot the guys an email asking them if they had any future plans to release it in true HD 1080P.

Yea, I'm sure it is. I brought mine to a houseboat trip on Roosevelt recently & loaned it to a friend to watch on his HD.

I did all the equipment research 2 years ago, and my Sony DVD player is older than that. So that'll tell you what kind of quality we're watching today.

But it still amazed everyone in the TV shop. It's definitely worth checking out.

Words can't express how much I like to watch your movie! I think I got mine shortly after they came out, and we still watch it repeatedly. Well done!! Clap.gif

Any plans for a sequel? Drool.gif

Yea, I saw that, but when I go to order the movie, it appears as though it is on regular DVD, and is not available on a HD-DVD. At this point in the game it doesn't matter what its filmed on, if the quality is reduced to regular DVD quality (480P i believe?), then thats what you get. 480 is less than half the quality of 1080i/720, which is half the quality of true 1080P. ( i think?? Dontknow.gif Ive been doing alot of reading about this stuff in the last few weeks, and still am not quite sure about some of it...)

Dont mean to nit-pick here. It looks like a sweet movie. It would just be 100 times sweeter if it were in true 1080P!

Im gona order one in any case. I shot the guys an email asking them if they had any future plans to release it in true HD 1080P.

Ola Senior Chadwick,

The DVD is currently standard def. However, when we produced it, the Authoring company purchased the latest and greatest machine to output the highest quality they could, with the movie mastered in 1080i High Def. That in turn has amazed even some of the techies in the High Def industry that the DVD is not in fact High Def even though it looks it.

But............we are due to release the HD-DVD version hopefully within the next 30 days. That will be a true High Def DVD. Amazon will be manufacturing the HD-DVD and it will be available through their website. They contacted us to get in their online store.

I will notify you via this website when we get confirmation that it is ready to ship.

Also, we just got notified that the movie has been nominated for an award at the International Sports Film Festival in Milan, Italy Thumbup.gif . So if anybody knows folks in Milan, send them word to come out and support the sport at our screening in Milan on October 29th at 6:50 pm. The Gary "The Wildman" Hickson, Matthew JC (Music Supervisor/Paradise Hotel contestant), and others are coming along to enjoy the moment. For some reason "The Wildman" is asking if their is a balcony in the theater. I guess he is looking to do a Grand Entry!

Looking to promote Water Sports any way we can.....

Ola Senior Chadwick,

The DVD is currently standard def. However, when we produced it, the Authoring company purchased the latest and greatest machine to output the highest quality they could, with the movie mastered in 1080i High Def. That in turn has amazed even some of the techies in the High Def industry that the DVD is not in fact High Def even though it looks it.

But............we are due to release the HD-DVD version hopefully within the next 30 days. That will be a true High Def DVD. Amazon will be manufacturing the HD-DVD and it will be available through their website. They contacted us to get in their online store.

I will notify you via this website when we get confirmation that it is ready to ship.

Also, we just got notified that the movie has been nominated for an award at the International Sports Film Festival in Milan, Italy Thumbup.gif . So if anybody knows folks in Milan, send them word to come out and support the sport at our screening in Milan on October 29th at 6:50 pm. The Gary "The Wildman" Hickson, Matthew JC (Music Supervisor/Paradise Hotel contestant), and others are coming along to enjoy the moment. For some reason "The Wildman" is asking if their is a balcony in the theater. I guess he is looking to do a Grand Entry!

Looking to promote Water Sports any way we can.....

Thanks!!

We love The Secret Spot DVD.

When we have a get together of several people, I like to set a continuos loop on the widescreen in our living area to encourage the type of conversation I can really get into. Everyone comments about the sharp images and awesome camera angles in the movie.

The music is just right for all the water sports too, great job on this flick.

How about another? Anything in the works?

*Following a pro slalom tour or something like that would easily get my money again.*

How about an INT and/or USA waterski focused documentary type film!?.. It would greatly promote several of the water sports that many of us participate in and probably draw much of the family crowd back to these type of grass roots events and tournaments. Slalom could really use a boost in participation as could trick and jump for that matter. Not to leave out wakeboarding of course, but it seems to have grown just fine while waterskiing has lagged behind.

If the leadership of these and other organizations are smart, it sure seems like they would be willing to step up to such an endeavor.

With your camera magic, well spoken commentary and the rock’n up beat music you guys select, such a movie could really make a difference to the sport. What if I said please?

Thanks for the awesome film, you guys deserve the recognition your getting.

James H. Davidson

Watched the trailer and ordered the video. Looks awesome! Reminds me of growing up on the Fox River, in De Pere, WI. Always a calm spot, always a lot of fun to be made (of course only 5 months a year).

We love The Secret Spot DVD.

When we have a get together of several people, I like to set a continuos loop on the widescreen in our living area to encourage the type of conversation I can really get into. Everyone comments about the sharp images and awesome camera angles in the movie.

The music is just right for all the water sports too, great job on this flick.

How about another? Anything in the works?

*Following a pro slalom tour or something like that would easily get my money again.*

How about an INT and/or USA waterski focused documentary type film!?.. It would greatly promote several of the water sports that many of us participate in and probably draw much of the family crowd back to these type of grass roots events and tournaments. Slalom could really use a boost in participation as could trick and jump for that matter. Not to leave out wakeboarding of course, but it seems to have grown just fine while waterskiing has lagged behind.

If the leadership of these and other organizations are smart, it sure seems like they would be willing to step up to such an endeavor.

With your camera magic, well spoken commentary and the rock’n up beat music you guys select, such a movie could really make a difference to the sport. What if I said please?

Thanks for the awesome film, you guys deserve the recognition your getting.

James H. Davidson

Ola Senior Davidson,

Thanks for the kind remarks, we went overboard making the movie. We over shot, over spent, and over edited, and had an incredible time making it. My wife, son, brother Curtis and a few others would spend every weekend camped out on the river....some times for 5 days at a time. It was Heaven! Plus....Water Sports Athletes are just plain fun folks to work with and hang around with! Especially since we are also avid skiiers...... Rockon.gif

In reference to making another one....."The Secret Spot" was entirely out of our pockets, with "0" industry support. To make another one, we would need some industry $$$ (wife will not let me spend her new home money any more). We spent two years trying to get the industry involved in making another one as well as a High Definition water sports series titled "Off The Dock". We had TV stations that wanted the series, but without industry support, we were peeing in the wind (I hope the ladies are not reading this).

We also tried to get USA Waterski involved, but with no luck. I even drove down to Austin at the Barefoot Nationals to meet with the head of USA Waterski, gave him the pitch with lots of ideas. He ended up going around us using some of our ideas and trying to do it without us. The industry in the past has poorly shot the events. When you do that, you lose respect with the TV stations and get 4:00am time slots, until you lose your audience and then the events get canned. I visited with ESPN trying to get water sports back on their TV stations, and they had no interest in showing Water Sports mainly because of Market Value (poorly shot thus no audience). They apparently would rather show Hot Dog Eating Constest, Poker and Darts. You know serious athletic sports. Whistling.gif

This, of course, leaves the sport in a not so great position. If you look at Snow Skiing/Snow Boarding and Surfing, the industry is really backing them. Therefore there are some incredible Surf Movies and Warren Miller keeps putting out his Snow Ski movies. Great quality and great fun. But for some reason, Water Sports only has 30 minute Wakeboard videos (which I enjoy watching), but very few docs/movies that are made for TV, and "0" for the Big Screen.

I agree with you, it would be great to follow the Pro Tour, the INT League or USA Waterski and show in detail all of the different aspects of the sport. You are also right about your comment of the leadership. The question is "Are They".

On a positive note, I have been hearing a lot of good things about the INT League, and their grass roots organization. They seem to be the best thing going for water sports competetions. Heck, I may just work on getting my girlish figure back, and try to ski the course at one of their local competitions. ROFL.gif

We are trying to promote the sport anyway we can!

Thanks again for the response!

Callaway

Category: Special Festival

USA ON THE SCREEN

Among the 150 works in competition to “Sport Movies & Tv 2007”, there is a massive participation coming from the Usa. Among the American productions there are: “THE SECRET SPOT” (Callaway Brothers Films, LLC), an exciting, moving documentary made of images of fearless athletes that are floating in the wind and spanning the waters Rockon.gif . “RUNNERS HIGH” (Jacob Productions, LLC) shows like a season of training, to run 26,2 miles, can change the course of one’s life. It’s a documentary that exalts the struggle, the courage and the hopes of 4 teenagers. “BIKERS STORY 2” (Ardome Productions) is pure action, thanks to“crazy” acrobatics by motorcycle of young motorcyclists joined under the sign of the two wheels. “HOBIE' S HEROES - 25th ANNIVERSARY EDITION” (Steven Montgomery Films) illuminates the universal topics of the challenge, the competition, the loyalty and the courage of a group of divers under the council and with good doses of hardness and humour of the famous trainer of Olympic American swim Hobie Billingsley.

I popped in my newly arrived copy of this DVD during the middle of a busy afternoon and one-by-one, each of my kids and my wife stopped what they were doing and planted themselves in front of this DVD. Very well done.

We ordered this back when it came out and it is still a great DVD to pop in especially during the off season. Anybody we have shared this with love's it. If you don't have, you are missing out of a Great Watersports film.

Rockon.gif

I just got my copy this week and watched it today while on the elliptical. What a great movie. It really hit what I love about water skiing the time I get to spend with my family. We had a big crew when I was going up that would spend all day Saturday and Sunday together. I have an 8 and 9 year old now and we spend a lot of time on the water. We don't have the same crew aspect as we did when I was a kid but I till spend lots of quality family time.

Great movie it will get regular play during my workouts this winter.

OK, I can't help but ask.....WHERE is the "secret spot"?

BTW...the video ROCKS!! This will help me get through the off-season, however at the rate the weather is going out East, I may not have an off season Yahoo.gif

TheMailbuCrew.com home page picture was taken at The Secret Spot.

I knew it was in Texas...I could tell by the accents of the folks in the film, the wildlife, and the guy that said he had to fly up to Ohio to pick up his old woody gave it away that it was in the south......shucks...a bit of a drive from PA Whistling.gif

We've got our own little slice of heaven, I just wish sometimes the section of river it's on was navigable for a longer distance. Thumbup.gif

Finally had a chance to watch the movie yesterday. Like everyone else has said it is GREAT! Definitely leaves you wanting more. The quality is unbelievable for what I'm guessing was a backyard venture. Heck the quality would be unbelievable for a major production company. I'm looking forward to watching it again!