Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

hard starting after warm up

I have a 89 malibu sunsetter and it cranks right up when i put the boat in the water and the first couple of times but it seems like after the motor gets good and warmed up it takes a couple of tries to get it cranked plus having to give it a little gas has anyoen had experience with this problem. Im thinking maybe its just time for a good tune up and carbuarater clean up?

I have a 89 malibu sunsetter and it cranks right up when i put the boat in the water and the first couple of times but it seems like after the motor gets good and warmed up it takes a couple of tries to get it cranked plus having to give it a little gas has anyoen had experience with this problem. Im thinking maybe its just time for a good tune up and carbuarater clean up?

When it gets warmed up, does the starter crank the engine over but it does not want to start, or does the starter not want to crank the engine over?

yes the starter still turns the motor over just fine

Then it sounds to me that is a fuel/tune up issue.

Carb rebuild, maybe, try some fuel additive to help clean the fuel system, use some carb cleaner around and down the venturies, put some down the bowl vents while running it as well. There may be some build up from over the off season.

Look at the spark plugs, how old are those? (cheap and easy)

Look for any vacuum leaks (a long shot).

I have a carb engine and I pump the gas once or twice when it's cold and then do the same after it's been sitting for a little bit while warm. Sounds normal to me???

I only have to do little more than bump the key after it is warmed up for mine to start.

infantrybu, does this happen all of the time when it is hot?

What happens when you shut the engine off when picking up a skier?

Does it restart easily then?

If so, then what you are observing after sitting for a short period is just probably evaporation of the fuel in the hot intake manifold. Pretty much normal as Malibudoc said.

after it gets warmed up it happens about 8 out of 10 starts sometimes jus needs a lil gas but sometimes it takes a couple of turns on the key when i pick up a skier. Im thinking just a tune up but i was also thinking maybe the idle screw is jus adjusted low and if it had one could i jus barely turn it to make it take in more gas to idle just a little bit higher?

after it gets warmed up it happens about 8 out of 10 starts sometimes jus needs a lil gas but sometimes it takes a couple of turns on the key when i pick up a skier. Im thinking just a tune up but i was also thinking maybe the idle screw is jus adjusted low and if it had one could i jus barely turn it to make it take in more gas to idle just a little bit higher?

A simple tune-up may help significantly for you. If you have it done, ask them to adj the idle up a little. The idle screw is usually on the left lower side of the carb.

• 4 weeks later...

We're having a similar problem on a '02 RLX, but ours is EFI. It starts fine at launch. After an hour or so, it will turn over but it doesn't want to stay running for too long at idle. It hesitates and eventually dies unless you give it some gas. After getting it started using some gas, it will run fine after that. It usually happens every other outing which are usually a few hours long. The boat goes out about once a week.

Does this sound like a need for fuel injector cleaner or something more complicated? Water in gas? We typically run Chevron gas in it. Any suggestions are appreciated.

We're having a similar problem on a '02 RLX, but ours is EFI. It starts fine at launch. After an hour or so, it will turn over but it doesn't want to stay running for too long at idle. It hesitates and eventually dies unless you give it some gas. After getting it started using some gas, it will run fine after that. It usually happens every other outing which are usually a few hours long. The boat goes out about once a week.

Does this sound like a need for fuel injector cleaner or something more complicated? Water in gas? We typically run Chevron gas in it. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Not sure about EFI. What is the idle rpm when hot? Someone else said theirs idled very slow when hot so the bumped it up a little. No more issues. That doesn't mean that is your case, just a thought. Have you run any injector cleaner thru it? Chevron may include it in their fuel. Fuel pressure ok? Have the filters been changed (both of them)?

Everybody, change your fuel filter(s). It's the single best thing you can do to keep these engines running well (I think I read that here :) )

Tune up first.

cap, rotor, plugs, fuel filters and carb cleaner. As per sunsetter check for any vacuum leaks (a long shot). If not fixed to your satifaction then a carb rebuild is in order. It sounds like your low idle circuit seals are weeping witch inturn drips out all the fuel and will not start with out a shot of fuel from the high side. Sorry just my 2c

Tune up first.

cap, rotor, plugs, fuel filters and carb cleaner. As per sunsetter check for any vacuum leaks (a long shot). If not fixed to your satifaction then a carb rebuild is in order. It sounds like your low idle circuit seals are weeping witch inturn drips out all the fuel and will not start with out a shot of fuel from the high side.  Sorry just my 2c

Depending on what carb he has will determine if there are idle circuit seals that may leak. Generally, there is just a gasket between the base plate and the body of the carb. The primary and idle circuit is in the front of the carb where the bowl of gas is. The accelerator pump is usually fed directly from the bowl thru a check ball valve system. If the accelerator pump is going bad, it may take more than one pump of the throttle to get enough gas to get the engine started. If there is an issue with the base plate gasket, you may see rough idle or a rich smell out the exhaust and you will not be able to get a balanced idle mixture adjustment. A Holley is an exception. It has the idle mixture screws in a vertical section between the bowl and the body. It still works the same way. My three cents.

I have had a similar problem on my '98 Monsoon 325. When hot (maybe only 1 out of every 5 starts) it'll crank all day but not fire. Only solution to start it is W.O.T. (knob out, handle in full reverse), but it always starts then.

I have tried several things and with the help of our intrepid Eagle Driver (Thanks agian Bill) ahve the baby working sorrectly now. Here's what I did:

1. Replaced the main fuel filter. Not much help.

2. Added injector cleaner. A bit better, but still . . .

3. Replaced the rear filter after learning about it here. Who knew?

4. Tried to turn on the exhaust fan every time the engine was shut down to evacuate excess heat. So-so.

5. Insulated fuel lines.

6. New plugs per manual. Not much difference.

7. Replaced Cap and rotor. Very corroded. HUGE improvement!

8. Instructed every one who drives to turn the key to on and wait 3-4 seconds before cranking the starter (so the fuel rail fully charges??). Seems to help.

9. Going to a hotter spark plug this weekend.

Loving it now.

God luck.

I have had a similar problem on my '98 Monsoon 325.  When hot (maybe only 1 out of every 5 starts) it'll crank all day but not fire.  Only solution to start it is W.O.T. (knob out, handle in full reverse), but it always starts then.

I have tried several things and with the help of our intrepid Eagle Driver (Thanks agian Bill) ahve the baby working sorrectly now.  Here's what I did:

1.  Replaced the main fuel filter.  Not much help.

2.  Added injector cleaner.  A bit better, but still . . . 

3.  Replaced the rear filter after learning about it here.  Who knew?

4.  Tried to turn on the exhaust fan every time the engine was shut down to evacuate excess heat.  So-so.

5.  Insulated fuel lines.

6.  New plugs per manual.  Not much difference.

7.  Replaced Cap and rotor.  Very corroded.  HUGE improvement!

8.  Instructed every one who drives to turn the key to on and wait 3-4 seconds before cranking the starter (so the fuel rail fully charges??).  Seems to help.

9.  Going to a hotter spark plug this weekend.

Loving it now.

God luck.

Does the dealer usually replace the rear fuel filter when doing a normal spring/winter tune up? Where exactly is it located on a '02 RLX? Is there anything to be careful about when changing either fuel filter(besides spilling gas)?

Assuming the RLX is similar to my Sunsetter:

1. In the trunk there are two screws that hold the "floor" of the trunk in place. Remove these.

2. The "floor" actually sit on the gas tank. Remove the floor (a bit of fun, but do-able) and the other filter should be resting on top of the tank in its very own little nest.

3. Remove two hose clamps.

4. Remove filter, noting the orientation of the flow arrow. Have a container handy to catch the fuel that will spill.

5. Install new filter with arrow oriented in the correct direction.

6. Tighten hose clamps.

7. Done.

15 minutes max. if you stop for a beer in the middle.

Has it gotten any better?

Tune up first.

cap, rotor, plugs, fuel filters and carb cleaner. As per sunsetter check for any vacuum leaks (a long shot). If not fixed to your satifaction then a carb rebuild is in order. It sounds like your low idle circuit seals are weeping witch inturn drips out all the fuel and will not start with out a shot of fuel from the high side.   Sorry just my 2c

Depending on what carb he has will determine if there are idle circuit seals that may leak. Generally, there is just a gasket between the base plate and the body of the carb. The primary and idle circuit is in the front of the carb where the bowl of gas is. The accelerator pump is usually fed directly from the bowl thru a check ball valve system. If the accelerator pump is going bad, it may take more than one pump of the throttle to get enough gas to get the engine started. If there is an issue with the base plate gasket, you may see rough idle or a rich smell out the exhaust and you will not be able to get a balanced idle mixture adjustment. A Holley is an exception. It has the idle mixture screws in a vertical section between the bowl and the body. It still works the same way. My three cents.

All your points are with more like 5c. Tongue.gif and are great. I didn't want to get in to deep with all the terms.

To check and see if you have a base plate gasket problem or a butter fly rod linkage bushing bad Shocking.gif

WARNING :- ONly DO THIS WITH THE ENGINE COLD. IF ENGINE IS HOT YOU MAY START A FIRE.

buy some carb cleaner B-12. Start the engine and start spraying around the base gasket and throttle linkage. If the is a change in engine rpms, then you have a air leak.

Too find out were it is just spray small areas of the base gasket until you come to the area that changes the engine rpms. You may also fix the problem by having the carb adjustments tuned or tweeked with. That is if there's not a air leak.

Just my 1/2 c Tongue.gif

Tease.gifTease2.gifTease2.gifTease2.gifTease2.gifTease2.gif