Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Inline spin-on fuel filter

areamike

Adding an inline fuel filter (spin-on type) Fram HPG-1

If some of you do not have this option, it is not a bad idea to add it. It will add years of life/less maintenance to your injectors and help prevent clogging of the fuel pump screen/inline injector line screen and injector "screens" themselves.

This can be added anywhere there is space along your fuel line coming from your gas tank. I had a perfect amount of space in my trunk, where the existing inline filter is.

All I had to purchase were the additional hose clamps and barbed connectors for filter to fuel line hose.

Total cost = $9.07 Ace Hardware

My buddy found the Fram Fuel filter at a flea market for 10 bucks...it retails for at least 40 at most places.

As you can see in the pictures, we simply cut out a 2-2 1/2 inch section of hose in order to keep the existing fuel filter intact, Otherwise, you can simply splice the new filter in place of your existing one, or if you do not have one, you can simply splice it on in there. No rocket science here. Just don't cut yourself with the 'ole carpet knife. I also got lucky and had no need to mount a mounting bracket. The filter fit snuggly where it sat.

Some of you may have a large spin on Fuel filter just after your Fuel pump. If this is a case, check and make sure it is not on the return line. If so, it is useless and should be moved to be in place BEFORE the fuel pump.

After seeing how clogged my Fuel injectors were when I cleaned them, I was adamant about adding additional fuel filtering. To me it was a no-brainer.

fuel_filter.jpg

fuel_filter1.jpg

Tools used: Carpet knife, Standard screw driver. Finger nail polish(as a sealer) for threading barbed connectors into fuel filter housing. Phillips screw driver to remove carpet back board in trunk.

I've only seen problems with people who have added spin on fuel filters to EFI systems. Is this spin on different than others?

-Chris

Edited by 99response
I've only seen problems with people who have added spin on fuel filters to EFI systems. Is this spin on different than others?

-Chris

What kind of problems?

This is a High Performance Fuel filter"These Fram high-performance fuel filters can trap particles as small as 10 microns. They have a maximum flow rate of 90 gph, and a housing that can handle pressures up to 200 psi"

I'm sure 90 gph is more than enough flow. If there is a problem, I would look elsewhere, i.e. Fuel pump, restriction/blockage of another inline filter, screens, fuel injectors. These spin on filters should not affect the EFI . My cousin's 2001 Sunsetter has a similar fuel filter and it also has the same fuel pump as my boat. They have no issues with theirs. As a matter of fact, my fuel injectors were clogged, their's never have been. I never had a spin on filter until now, they did...hmmm.

Edited by areamike

Some spin-on filters specifically say "Not for use with fuel injection systems". :unsure: Don't know why it would be a problem as long as it was in front of the fuel pump. Dontknow.gif Any gearheads know for sure?

Yeah, the spin on filters let air get into the top of the filter and it leads to problems.

I've bypassed a quite a few customer installed spin on fuel filters on EFI systems, but have never seen the "high performance one"

Also the inline filter you have is already a 10 micron, so what is the advantage unless you need the water separating feature?

-Chris

Yeah, the spin on filters let air get into the top of the filter and it leads to problems.

I've bypassed a quite a few customer installed spin on fuel filters on EFI systems, but have never seen the "high performance one"

Also the inline filter you have is already a 10 micron, so what is the advantage unless you need the water separating feature?

-Chris

Crappy gas. For some reason every time I fill up my gas cans, there is sediment in the bottom of the can after I put the fuel into my boat that looks like coffee grounds. I have bought gas at 5 different places, all 93+ octane and all the same. Also, I had fuel injectors clogged with crap that should have never gotten through the existing napa inline filter, but did... Which caused a loss of power and speed in my boat. I lost over 5mph at WOT and about 6-800 rpm. Once I cleaned my injectors, I had more than full power again. So, to help eliminate the possibility of this ever happening again, I opted for this HP spin on filter because obviously the existing inline fuel filter was NOT doing the job.

Edited by areamike

Injector screens are a funny thing, I've had to replace screens in boats with 50 hours on them, boat would barley run they were so clogged.

When I rebuilt a motor with 1400 hours on it, the screens were clean as can be, I was shocked.

Nice thing is the screens are cheap to replace and only require labor.

-Chris