Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Took Factory Tour today

KTC

Took the tour today. Had a good day off. The plant is a little under 2 hours from the house. Being an engineer with 13 years experience with assembly line production (aerospace) I think I enjoyed the machine shop the best. The shop foreman worked in aerospace too years ago so we chatted. I also noticed a Racer X magazine on the breakroom table which was cool that the employees are into MX!

Good work ethic amongst the crew throughout the plant. I did think the assembly lines were very messy and was not impressed with that part of the tour. Safety and ergonomic measures could be improved too. None of the issues impact the quality of the product but hey an observation is just that. I snapped a few pics I can post later. Even if you don't need one it makes you want to order a new boat. We discussed the MBO website and it was mentioned how much everyone liked "Neals" report on his new VLX and the colors!

I also asked about a pedestal seat for fishing in the bow. We looked at the structure and the potential. I know now it can be done and I will post "how too" pics for all you closet fisherman out there.

Loved the open road on hwy 152 leaving the plant. Breaking in the new Vette and dropped the hammer a little. Got her up to 150 and had room to spare but traffic was comming up and it was drizzling out!

Ate at Panda Express (kung pao rocked!) in Los Banos and headed home. Like I said... it was a good day! KC

Edited by KCMOTOXXX

Any day off checking out new rides is a good day. Glad you had fun. You serious about the fishing what about the trolling motor. J/K

I also asked about a pedestal seat for fishing in the bow. We looked at the structure and the potential. I know now it can be done and I will post "how too" pics for all you closet fisherman out there.

I'm beginning to think you're serious about this, KC. Thanks for the plant report.

Driving the Vette should be excuse enough for a 4 hr outing. Yahoo.gif

Joe

No doubt!

I've on tour 3 times and enjoyed it each time. My 2 favorite parts are seeing a hull pop and the machine shop. I especially like seeing them CNC the stainless wedges :)

KC,

As a fellow engineer, I as well enjoyed the way they manufactured their boats. It actually amazed me with all of the modern technology, how they rely on true artisans to do the work.

Joe

I know they still lay the boats by hand Tongue.gif

I was just reading an article in trailer boats that showed a couple of companies that are using automated equipement and lasers to throw down the chop and then trim it.

I think it will be a bit before BU does that.

I can't wait to get a chance to tour either of the US factories. I would really love to see how they are made right up front in person... it Must be awe inspiring...

JZ

I have been to the Tn plant a few times and it was great. I had Doug take me around and he was very informative and helpful, and they also let me run boats with their watertesters, tons of fun and well worth the trip. As bad as it sounds I have to say the Mastercraft plant is also impressive due to its efficiency (malibu in tn is not as efficient since the boats don't go in a line, they have to go to one end, then the other, and back), but the guide was just a guide and could not answer all my questions and it was not as personal. I also did Nautique, and theres was cool, but I didn't like their "closed doors" where they did the laser alingment and things, because it seemed like they had something to hide.

I snapped a few pics I can post later. Even if you don't need one it makes you want to order a new boat.

If you have any pics of my boat, I'd like to see it. (white with blue VLX) On the 8th, it should have been getting final touch ups before shipping. It ships tomorrow Biggrin.gif

We discussed the MBO website and it was mentioned how much everyone liked "Neals" report on his new VLX and the colors!

Great.... now they are going to think twice before selling me another boat! :)

• 10 months later...
Took the tour today.

Ate at Panda Express (kung pao rocked!) in Los Banos and headed home.

KC

I can see why you needed a fast car!!! Tongue.gif Did 'ya make it???

Don't pay any attention to me, I'm just jealous!!! :(

Pat

We discussed the MBO website

MBO who? I hope you talked about TMC! Fingerwag.gif

Uh, read the date....

ROFL.gif

What does the date matter? TMC did not bring over any posts from MBO that I know of. They all went to Wakeside, so my assumption is that this had to have been originally posted on TMC. I suppose he could have been referring to MBO going offline, but that was not clear.

I will admit I did not realize at first that the original post was last April, but there have been other recent responses to the old original post so I'm not sure why you quoted my post when you responded "read the date"?

ROFL.gif right back at ya

We discussed the MBO website

MBO who? I hope you talked about TMC! Fingerwag.gif

Uh, read the date....

ROFL.gif

What does the date matter? TMC did not bring over any posts from MBO that I know of. They all went to Wakeside, so my assumption is that this had to have been originally posted on TMC. I suppose he could have been referring to MBO going offline, but that was not clear.

I will admit I did not realize at first that the original post was last April, but there have been other recent responses to the old original post so I'm not sure why you quoted my post when you responded "read the date"?

ROFL.gif right back at ya

Well, I guess cause on April 8, 2005 MBO was the prodominent Malibu Owners site, in fact this site was not even a month old (based on earliest posts I could find - March 21,05), maybe only 2 1/2 weeks old. MBO was still a large part of most of our lives and definatley part of our vocabulary. Heck I still call this site MBO from time to time on accident (sorry tracie).

Maybe my response was a knee jerk reaction, if you took offense to it sorry, but to me it looked like you might not have caught the date and posted based on that. I didn't realize myself, it was an old post till I got have way through...

ROFL.gif you're it!

Tongue.gif