Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wiring a perko switch

I did a search but couldn't find any info to my questions. I have two batteries (only one in the boat right now) and I want to hook up the perko switch I bought.

1. Where do I ground the perko switch?

2. Where do I ground the two batteries (where is the first one grounded to?)

3. Should I ground my amps to the perko switch or the battery?

4. I am leaving for shasta on tuesday, how long does it take to hook up the perko switch? If it takes too long should I just hook up both the batteries and do the perko when I get back?

5. If I do the perko after the trip do I hook the batteries up in series or paralle? One is good the other is BAD!!!

Wow I am full of questions today! Any pictures would be great as well as some help out with this. TIA!

I did a search but couldn't find any info to my questions. I have two batteries (only one in the boat right now) and I want to hook up the perko switch I bought.

1. Where do I ground the perko switch?

You don't ground the perko switch at all.
2. Where do I ground the two batteries (where is the first one grounded to?)
The batteries are grounded in series dirrectly to the black wire from the alternator.
3. Should I ground my amps to the perko switch or the battery?
Ground your amps to the battery.
4. I am leaving for shasta on tuesday, how long does it take to hook up the perko switch? If it takes too long should I just hook up both the batteries and do the perko when I get back?
It doesn't take long as long as you have the proper cables. Probably can be done in a bout 30 minutes to an hour.
5. If I do the perko after the trip do I hook the batteries up in series or paralle? One is good the other is BAD!!!
You would want to hook the batteries up in parallel if you were simply trying to use both at 12 volts (connecting them inseries would give you 24 volts). I would recommend simply bringing the second battery if you don;t have time to hook up the perko... That way if you need it in any emergency situation you have it, but don;t worry about connecting it until you can do it through the Perko.
Wow I am full of questions today! Any pictures would be great as well as some help out with this. TIA!

I'll try to make a diagram of the wiring and post it here shortly.

JZ

Thanks a ton for the help! I am going to go and try to tracethe wire to the alternater. If the perko doesn't ground to anything then why does it have a place for a negative wire?

I went to West Marine and bought the wire and crimp ends, and bought some heat shrink from a local electronics store (Fry's Electronics). I didn't have a crimp tool for that big of wire so I improvised.

just to be 100% sure, the negatives of both the batteries are connected together, then one negative goes to the alternater, the positives of each go the the perko and from the perko the positive goes to the alternater?

just to be 100% sure, the negatives of both the batteries are connected together, then one negative goes to the alternater, the positives of each go the the perko and from the perko the positive goes to the alternater?

In a boat (and in general), there is only one "ground", so yes.

It's somewhat difficult to explain, but if you think of this whole circuit as "juice" flowing through a pipe and the ground as the drain, it might make more sense.... The "source" of the "juice" is the alternator. If you connect your stereo or other accessories to battery 2, you can use the perko to, in essence disconnect battery two from the rest of the system so its use doesn't drain the starting battery.

I hope that didn't confuse you...

JZ

The diagram may be a little misleading.

The battery ground wires from the batteries connect together and go to the engine block. There can be a ground junction as I used in the pic, or you can connect then at the battery post as in the diagram.

The battery positive from each battery will connect to the switch terminals, and I believe they are labeled on the back of the switch, 1 and 2. The third connection on the switch will be the positive cable that goes to the starter.

I used a terminal block for the positive as well because of the number of heavy wires connected for the amps. I have 2 ga wire from the batteries to the switch, and then to the block. 4 ga to the amps, and 2 ga from the block to the starter.

I used the same size wire on the negative respectively without the switch.

Edited by Sunsetter95

Well I went out into our mess of a garage and guess what was missing....the perko switch :lol: I am laughing now, but I was pissed at the time. I have no idea where I put it, I was carrying it around the yesterday and I set it some place. I hate when I do that. But it is okay because I need one more wire to complete it all. Thanks again for your help with this, I would be totaly lost without it!!!

Found the perko switch Yahoo.gif I had left it over at my friends house Crazy.gif I found a good place to mount it and I drilled the holes. Then I went to hook up the wires and I realized that the main positive that leads from the perko to the alternator has the wrong type of connecter on it. I am going to see if the local auto store is open if not I will have to finish up tomorrow.... :(

Its all done!!!! Yahoo.gif It took a little longer then I expected but it went fairly easily! I put the perko underneath the obervers seat so it isn't in the best location but its all I had left after I put in the amps. I just wanted to thank both you guys again for all your help :)

No problem...

Now the one thing I did when I wired mine, was connect the seperate distribution panel I had for my stereo to battery two, that way, I could manually isolate it from the starting battery, but still have full access to the stereo when anchored...

JZ

No problem...

Now the one thing I did when I wired mine, was connect the seperate distribution panel I had for my stereo to battery two, that way, I could manually isolate it from the starting battery, but still have full access to the stereo when anchored...

JZ

Did you use a terminal strip?

I took the main voltage supply to the dash and ran it to a 10 place terminal strip so I had several good point for supplying the dash and other components.

Nope. I left the stock stuff connected to the main battery (through the Perko of course so I could turn everything off). The only thing that was directly connected to the 2nd battery was the stereo components so I could continue to run them whith the perko in the 1 or off positions. When I set it to both would be once we are going again and I wanted to charge both batteries.

JZ