Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding a ball-valve to raw water hose

bound4er

I would like to add a ball-valve right after the brass elbow on my raw water hose (before my Flush Pro). This will make it easier to add antifreeze in fall - eliminating the need to climb under the boat and tape up the water strainer. It will also allow me to shut off the water flow if needed to do any on-water repairs involving hoses, impeller, etc.

Has anyone added one? What size valve did you use?

Dave

I was looking into the Flush Proi. Doesn't the Flush Pro have a backcheck valve the stops the water / antifreeze from going out of the freshwater pick-up?

Looks like your going with the 1 1/4" Home Depot ball valve?

It's a good idea just from a safety standpoint. If that hose was to break, there is no way to stop the incoming water. IIRC, the valve is now a Coast Guard requirement on new boats. Mine came with one. Go with a full size (ID of hose) and a full bore. Just remember to reopen it after closing it for any reason.

I was looking into the Flush Proi. Doesn't the Flush Pro have a backcheck valve the stops the water / antifreeze from going out of the freshwater pick-up?

Back-check works under pressure (garden hose), but not for sucking in AF.

Back-check works under pressure (garden hose), but not for sucking in AF.

Jack,

Thanks.

Steve