Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

kneeboarding

hbrew

My wife was in a small ski shop yesterday and was talking to the shop owner. They were discussing kneeboarding and the shop owner told her the kneeboards were flying off the shelves. He said people in their 30's and 40's were taking up the sport again. :)

Last year I noticed more kneeboards on the lake we ride on. Haven't noticed them yet this year, but it's still early.

Is kneeboarding picking up in your area?

I have several friends that still enjoy knee boarding, as well as myself, but once on a wakeboard, it takes away some of the desire to knee board.

My younger son is the only one in the family that kneeboards. He bought a new one last year and has been taking some of hbrew's advice and getting bigger air.

Kneeboarding has essentially been outlawed or at least discouraged at our church Houseboat Camp, however. The youth pastor had a very unfortunate meeting of face and kneeboard as a teen. It involved a lot of blood, missing teeth, and quite a few stitches. I think it left a rather bad impression of kneeboarding on him.

My younger son is the only one in the family that kneeboards.  He bought a new one last year and has been taking some of hbrew's advice and getting bigger air.

Kneeboarding has essentially been outlawed or at least discouraged at our church Houseboat Camp, however.  The youth pastor had a very unfortunate meeting of face and kneeboard as a teen.  It involved a lot of blood, missing teeth, and quite a few stitches.  I think it left a rather bad impression of kneeboarding on him.

Well with that rational better not drive either.

Over Memorial Weekend we saw an Xstar attemping to pull up a double skier, didn’t have a camera ready though cause it would have made for a great photo.

My one nephew makes me break out a kneeboard every once in a while. Its always good to have one in the baot if you have a bunch of newbies with you.

My one nephew makes me break out a kneeboard every once in a while.  Its always good to have one in the baot if you have a bunch of newbies with you.

So by that rational you must have tube onboard as well Tongue.gif

My one nephew makes me break out a kneeboard every once in a while.  Its always good to have one in the baot if you have a bunch of newbies with you.

NO, You gotta draw the line somewhere. Oh and another piece of equipment you won't find.......slalom ski Tongue.gif

Knees and back would die. It was a blast in the early 90's though.

I had the Ted Bevalaqua VHS tape.......

He was at the Malibu booth at the boat show the year we got ours.

Tiny guy. No wonder he can do all of that stuff.

stewart, that's funny, we're the exact opposite. It's funny how they say wakeboarding is such a young sport, though on this site you see a whole bunch of 30-40+ guys saying how they'd never slalom ski. The other day we had 6 people out on the boat, all under 25, we had 6 slalom skis, 3 trick skis, and no wakeboards! So much for the youth factor! Yahoo.gif

He said people in their 30's and 40's were taking up the sport again.  :)

Its because they forgot what it feels like to have their eyelids pulled back over the tops of their heads.

My knees can't take kneeboarding anymore.

Nick, we've got the same thing going on even in our family. My little bro and sis were both wakeboarders. Bro is asking about buying a ski and sis just bought herself an HO Vengeance. She hasn't been on her wally board yet this season. I'm so proud! Clap.gif

NO, You gotta draw the line somewhere. Oh and another piece of equipment you won't find.......slalom ski Tongue.gif

Well I know you're good at teak surfing Tongue.gif

We keep a knee board in the boat. We ski first, then the kids wakeboard when they're too tired to slalom because wakeboarding is so much easier for them. Then, when the lake gets choppy they will knee board. I find the knee board is really good for kids that have never been behind a boat.

Agree, the knee board is great for kids. It was the first thing (other than a tube) my little niece (now 9, but started knee boarding at 6) would get on in the water.

Yeah, most of the people I know that are not just hard core wakeboarders are seeing more and more ski time.

My brother and I both gave wakeboarding a shot in the late 90s. We got bored with it pretty quick, then my brother blew out his knee in 2000 just doing a simple grab. Since, he has started tricking about 80% of the time he's on the water. We both jump some as well. I can't really find the trick bug yet, so most of my water time is spent in the slalom course.

He said people in their 30's and 40's were taking up the sport again.  :)

Its because they forgot what it feels like to have their eyelids pulled back over the tops of their heads.

Biggrin.gif Freakin been there done that

Knees and back would die.  It was a blast in the early 90's though. 

I had the Ted Bevalaqua VHS tape.......

He was at the Malibu booth at the boat show the year we got ours.

Tiny guy.  No wonder he can do all of that stuff.

Ted is still around, and the rumor on the street is he has a brand new kneeboard design that will be out later this summer Biggrin.gif

Summerfun great pic!

I kneeboard about once or twice a year if someone else is doing it. It't not the landing that hurts the knees it's the bounce when you land in the flats, I you can land on the back side of the second wake no hurt knees.

Say a guy on the river last weekend kneeboarding and he did a face plant right in front of use, ROFL.gif .

Most of the people I see kneeboarding for some reason don't strap the board on, or have the strap loose, the thing is impossable to ride with out the strap tight.

Watch the strap with kids. When my daughter was 11 she crashed

while kneeboarding, the board was upsidedown & the strap was

holding her "under it". She was able to get her head up to grab a

breath or two while we were turning the boat around & heading back to

her, & as my wife was diving in with sunglasses, hat, etc. on to assist.

Assumably she could have pushed the strap off if panic had not set in.

When we got home I actually read the owners manual & it read that

kids should not use the strap. Had I read the directions before the

incident & would not have understood why the strap should not be

used.

Last weekend, the lead technician from my shop was at Shasta camping

While kneeboarding double with his son, he pulled a few lengths of rope in

to get forward of his son for the big spray, the rope got around the two middle

fingers of his left hand & broke both of them, before pulling the tip off

of one of them - big ouch.

I guess injury can occur at just about anytime & situation. The only defense

is to pay attention I suppose.

The sausage grab was invented on a kneeboard! We still break out the HO Joker from time to time...my 5 year old loves to ride it. They take up next to no room in the boat and are fun for newbies.

Back in the day, 2 Thumbs and I would ride the original Hydroslide all day long behind the blue boat. My first barefoot attempts were off the 'slide.

The only thing our kneeboard gets used for is longline barefooting. I can't stand the nose enima doing deepwater barefoot starts!!! Like someone else said, it hurts my knees just watching someone kneeboard.

Edwin-Between your avitar and talking about your"sasuage grab" you are starting to freek me out. Crazy.gif