Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Have a Dog?

Ronnie

My Golden won't swim either.  For the last five years, I've felt like a failure as a pet owner because I was certain he was the only one in the world that didn't love the water.

So this hunter gets him a new retriever and takes him hunting for the first time. The retriever spooks out some geese, the hunter takes a shot and a goose drops out of the sky and lands in a pond. The retriever runs across the top of the water, fetches the goose and returns it to his owner. This amazed the hunter and the next day he invited a friend of his to come and see what an amazing dog he had. Same situation, hunter fired a shot, goose lands in the pond and the dog runs across the top of the water to retrieve the goose. The hunter says to his friend: "Did you see that?" His friend had a disappointed look on his face and shaking his head said: "Yup, that dog cant swim"

That is a cool collar. I enjoy seeing the pics of everyone's dogs.

I posted some time ago that my dog didn't have long, well... A few weeks ago we finally decided it was time to have him put down. He was a 16 year old choc lab who couldn't hear, could barely see, and had gotten to the point that he could barely walk. I thought I was ready and it would be no big deal - I mean he's just a dog, right? Well, I held him as he was going under very peacefully, and then I just bawled uncontrollably. I couldn't believe I was crying like that. Later in the week I was feeling down and depressed and couldn't figure out why until it dawned on me that I was grieving. The depth of my feelings surprised me.

We are thinking about a new dog, but not just yet.

Well, I held him as he was going under very peacefully, and then I just bawled uncontrollably.  I couldn't believe I was crying like that.  Later in the week I was feeling down and depressed and couldn't figure out why until it dawned on me that I was grieving.  The depth of my feelings surprised me.

I did that once, it was not fun. sorry to hear about your loss.

That is a cool collar.  I enjoy seeing the pics of everyone's dogs.

I posted some time ago that my dog didn't have long, well...  A few weeks ago we finally decided it was time to have him put down.  He was a 16 year old choc lab who couldn't hear, could barely see, and had gotten to the point that he could barely walk.  I thought I was ready and it would be no big deal - I mean he's just a dog, right?  Well, I held him as he was going under very peacefully, and then I just bawled uncontrollably.  I couldn't believe I was crying like that.  Later in the week I was feeling down and depressed and couldn't figure out why until it dawned on me that I was grieving.  The depth of my feelings surprised me.

me too. i cried harder when we put our dog down than when both grandfathers and grandmother died. weird how that works. i guess they really are man's best friend. always there, always happy.

Why is it so hard to put put a dog down when it is time??? I thought about it after I had to do it and came to the conclusion that my dog, for 13 years, took from me the love and attention that I could spare (which was alot, we treat our dogs as members of the family) and in return he gave me 100% of his love, 100% of the time, regardless of his "mood", regardless of the time of day or night, it just didn't matter.

It was hard to let him go, but it got to the point where I feel I was being selfish by not letting him go. He was too good and faithful of a freind to keep him around so I didn't suffer.

I cried aloud alone in my car on the way home...

Rts,

I 've been there twice in the last 8 months, once for our 14 year old dog and 2 months later for a 18 year old cat. They were 2 of the toughest days of my life.

We still have 2 dogs, one 12 the other is just over a year. That certianly helped my wife and I, but more so the kids.

My heart goes out to you and your family.

dlb

I know how you feel as well. This past fall my 16 year old dog was hit by a car. She was outside with my father and brother who were with her and my brothers puppy. I got a call telling me to come over for dinner and when I got there they told me. I would see her everyday and she literally grew up with me so I was hit really hard. She would have had to have been put down before the years end (this was September) but at the time was doing well and the vet said she was good and did not need to be put to sleep just yet...

Well after all that I changed my avatar to my old girl, it's a little small so I may change it out. She's 8 but acting like a 14 yr old she's so stiff in the mornings.

• 2 weeks later...

Boomer & obski,

So sorry to hear about your losses. We had to go through putting down our lab that we'd had since the beginning of our marriage about 4 years ago. I would not wish that on my worst enemy. rts put it well, their love is so absolutely unconditional. We should all be lucky enough to be the people that our dogs think that we are.

Boomer & obski,

So sorry to hear about your losses.  We had to go through putting down our lab that we'd had since the beginning of our marriage about 4 years ago.  I would not wish that on my worst enemy.  rts put it well, their love is so absolutely unconditional.  We should all be lucky enough to be the people that our dogs think that we are.

They are definatley part of the family, and leave a big void when they are gone...

Thanks for the condolences.

It's wierd. My wife and I talk about how in many of the things we do we just expect Bailey to be there. When he isn't, it is then that we realize he is gone. But first we both wonder where he is and why he isn't sitting by us in the family room, or 'helping' me mow the lawn, etc. Things he was a part of for 16 years.