Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Both Feet In

jimncin

After playing "tea bag" trying some slalom starts with both feet in I need some help with the technique. I'm a foot dragger and can't seem to get the body position figured out once the pull starts. Any ideas?

Thanks,

jim

I also am a rear foot dragger because "I have always done it that way". One of my skiing goals this year is to start with both in, comfortable and repeatedly. I have done it twice and it seems the position that works for me is the have the rear almost in and cocked outward a bit so I am splitting the difference between all the way out and all the way in. The other thing that seems to help a bit is to place the rope on the other side of the ski to counter the off balance feel to the pull.

Good luck.

Using a double boot ski I have no choice. Leg strength, push hard and make sure the driver puts it to the floor so you don't drink too much lake water. Actually, once you get the hang of it, it is much easier than dragging a foot, you will see.

As the boat starts to pull, you need to push with the front foot and have the rear knee bent (as much as possible). I have always got up with two feet in and can't drag a foot. Just the way I learned. The first couple of times are going to be tough, but hang on and push with that leading foot. You'll get it.

I lead with my left foot. So I keep the rope to the left of the ski and tip the ski slightly to the right. I tip the ski so when the boat pulls me back to a balanced position, rather than pulling me over the left side of my ski. I also extend my arms straight out towards the tip of the ski and let the boat do the work pulling me up. As you come up over the ski push more with the front foot than the back, this helps you plow less water.

Oh and I keep my right leg tucked up as close to my bottom as possible.

Edited by hbrew

You might try a fat ski to practice with. I suspect that would make it much easier. I got up my second try last week on a fat one. I had never slalomed before. First pull, the rope just yanked through my fingers. Second one.....up and didn't fall until I started cutting pretty hard. Had a nice slide-out on my butt....

I often wonder how anyone learns to get up at all!! Secret (if there is one) is to let the ski break the water for you, use your arms and back to absorb the initial pull by reaching for the boat and applying pressure to ur front foot and using ur rear foot for steering. Keep knees bent and drag ur butt under u. Lay the ski over so it planes up easier. Dont be in a hurry to stand up. It may help to start slightly to the left of center if ur right foot forward as the natural tendency of ski is to go right. The new fat skiis would certaninly make it easier. A great driver can make all the difference! What the other guys said and FWIW

I got up double booted on my first try. I just approached it like teaching someone to get up on combos. Hug your knees and don't step the ski down. If you're having trouble keeping the ski tip up, arch your back a little. Once the pull comes, duck your head down to avoid drinking the water that comes over the front of the ski.

I often wonder how anyone learns to get up at all!! Secret (if there is one) is to let the ski break the water for you, use your arms and back to absorb the initial pull by reaching for the boat and applying pressure to ur front foot and using ur rear foot for steering. Keep knees bent and drag ur butt under u. Lay the ski over so it planes up easier. Dont be in a hurry to stand up. It may help to start slightly to the left of center if ur right foot forward as the natural tendency of ski is to go right. The new fat skiis would certaninly make it easier. A great driver can make all the difference! What the other guys said and FWIW

What he said. I've used double boots in the past and I did use a rtp keeping both feet in. Just lean the ski into the rope whichever side you tend to lean over too.

I just suck the tail of the ski under my butt as close as I can. I also stretch out over the ski to get it on a flatter plane. Basically, when the boat goes my front knee is pressed against my chest. I don't use any leg stength to try and force myself out and I don't stand up right away. Many times I'll still be in that position (sitting on my ski, chest resting on my front thigh) half way around the turn island cause I'm just too tired or lazy to stand up. >LOL I try to be invisible to the boat and I just pop right out. The more you leverage against the boat the harder it is to come out.

I have a double boot also. I allow my left knee to press against my chest until there is enough resistance to stand. I have my left foot forward and the rope on the right side of the tip. Usually aligned left center behind the boat.

Sometimes on the way up, I put the ski as vertical as I can hold to make a big spray and it looks like you aren't going to make it, then when you can't hold it any longer, you pop out. On a hot day it feels good.

The double boots are defiantly tricky. I've seen very good skiers miss an attempt at getting up, due to the double boots. I skied at a tourney once where the lake level was low, at one end, the end you dropped to shorten the rope was about 3-4ft. You would drag your tail getting up, in the high spots. Very embarrassing to have just made your 28 off pass and then can't get up on your ski.

As the boat starts to pull, you need to push with the front foot and have the rear knee bent (as much as possible).

I was having problems geting up this spring. (too much time on the dark side last year) Once I focused on keeping my weight forward I poped right up. When I kept my weight back I drank half of the lake and wore my arms out. Keeping my weight forward took verly little effort to get up and my face stayed complet;y dry. Don't fight the boat. Let it pull you up. Thats what all of those horses under the motor box are for. However, have the driver give a nice steady pull not one of the jerk the handle out of your hands.

Stick with it. You will get it and probably love having double boots. I feel naked when I ski on a ski with rear toe plate vs. boot.

Both feet in, curl legs up in a ball, ski sitting 45 degree angle to the water, rope on whatever side feels most comfortable, let the boat pull you out of the water without fighting the pull, don't straighten legs until last moment.

Left foot forward: Rope should be on the right and the ski tip should be angled toward the left. I angle mine at about 30 degrees to the left because it feels natural (advice given to me from Chris Sullivan). Don't fight the ski to keep it straight up and down (not natural), let the ski do what it wants. When the boat starts going, it will straighten up for you.

The thing about dragging a foot is that it helps keep you from breaking over forward at the waist. With both feet in you must use your will (and strength) to keep from breaking over at the waist. Use mind over matter and it will become natural and it is actually easier.

The thing about dragging a foot is that it helps keep you from breaking over forward at the waist. With both feet in you must use your will (and strength) to keep from breaking over at the waist. Use mind over matter and it will become natural and it is actually easier.

I use the knee to chest method , I don't think I could get up if I had to keep from breaking at the waist and I definately don't have that kind of energy after a couple passes.

Edited by Rod S
Both feet in, curl legs up in a ball, ski sitting 45 degree angle to the water, rope on whatever side feels most comfortable, let the boat pull you out of the water without fighting the pull, don't straighten legs until last moment.

PERFECT.

I like 87's description too. The only thing I might add is that I sort of relax my legs so that the water pushes the ski (and consequently my knees) into my chest. Fight the urge to stand up to soon - it just creates more drag and gives you less leverage against the pull. I am pretty much out of the water before I am standing up.

I'll second the comment that I'd be lost now with a RTP. Don't know how I ever managed without the double boots. Just makes me that much more amazed by Mapple.

87Skier Posted Today, 10:57 AM

this is the way. good answer 87Skier.