Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Missing Gelcoat...

So, two nights ago I'm in the garage moving some stuff around and I stop to admire my boat sitting there. As I'm looking at it I notice some weeds from the lake caught around the prop shaft and I decide to climb under the boat and cut 'em off. While I'm under there I notice a small chunk of gelcoat missing through one of the strakes! Shocking.gif Not a big chunk, maybe an inch and a half long by a centimeter wide but damn how long's that been there? Now I start racking my brain...the boat's a year old...I KNOW I've never hit anything and I can't remember ever hearing a thump from under the hull indicating that I had. The impact from an object in the water would have definitely made a noise judging by the damage. Could it have happened on the freeway towing the boat to the lake? Anyway, I called the local gelcoat repair guy and he tells me $100-$200 and I'll never know it was there. Anyone ever had this kind of damage and should I be concerned about the integrity of the fix?

I would not be to concerned with this chip.....it won't have any issue on integrity of the boat performance...I had something similar...90 bucks and it looked great!

Good luck,

Reggie

Probably happened while towing. My boat has several small gelcoat nicks and the trailer has too many to count, so things take a beating back there.

It doesn't take a lot of skill to repair gelcoat ( I should know, I've done some myself.) so I'm sure once repaired it'll look like new.

For the money, I would get it fixed. I've worked in the fiberglass bus. for about 5 yrs now - both pultrusion and handlayup. While the glass appears to be homogeneous, it will wick over a period of time and start to absorb water. You will start with fiberbloom and end up with delamination. Just my $.02

Nice. Think I'll put my replacement programme in place for a new boat in 2010.

The zip-off skirt on the front of my road cover deflects almost all of the stones off the back wheels of the tow rig. I still can't believe the flimsiness of the Overton type covers, nor going commando with the boat on the open road.