Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Illusion Tower Removal

Boomer

Until I figure out a way to build something to store my vlx with tower up, I may have to remove the tower to put in garage. Aside from the pain of doing that, does the wiring have a disconnect? Ie. is there some kind of plug where I can remove the tower and unplug all the wiring without having to cut the wire?

danke!

Edited by Boomer

Not unless it was added by the installer/dealer. When I got my IllusionX, the wires were all bundled up in the tower and I had to snake them through the tower base into the hull. I haven't finished setting up my system, but when I do, I will probably put some quick disconnects (insulated bullet connectors) inline on each of the wires to allow for disconnection if I need it... If you look under the tower base and follow the wires, you should be able to see if there are any inline.

JZ

I don't think there are any disconnects. The wires are just loose endsready to be connected. You should be able to see them at the base of the tower on the driver side.

If your system is already connected, you will have your work cutout for you. Each wire will have to be spliced like JZ said.

Boomer, I thought the Illusion when it is folded is still lower than the top of the windshield?

This is a nice thing to know. I just assumed it would be taller. Maybe I should try to fold it down, eh? lol

Yeah - just make sure you ahve some kind of prop rod or pice of lumber that is just taller than the top of the dash. If you leave it sitting on the dash for too long, it will make an imprint on the dash... just something to be aware of...

JZ

Ok, you guys are on crack! Unless the tower folded down below the steering wheel, there's no way it's lower than the windshield.

Lowered the tower, and the "ball" part on top, where the rop attaches, is still a good foot over the windshield. The wakeboard racks was a few inches taller still.

Front view:

post-41-1113101939_thumb.jpg

Edited by Boomer

Haha, I love the new smilies on this site. Sometimes a single smilie (Stewart) says it all! :cheers:

I tell you though, now I have to figure out how to store my boat. Won't fit in garage. I'm going to have to figure how to build on to my garage, house, something. I hate having it sit out under the cover, that sucks.

I would, but I basically don't have room for it. I live at the end of a cul-de-sac, so my lot is pie-shaped.

I have enough room beside my garage to park the boat, but not for a cover like that. I think I'm going to have to try and build something onto the side of my garage, which won't be easy.

Well, it's a typical 7-foot door, so probably another foot or so? I guess I could (maybe) have the door raised? Thing is, there's a major header over it, don't know how they'd do that.

Plus, if I'm going to that trouble I want something I can store it in without lowering the tower, heh.

I've thought of having a builder come over, and see if they can raise the entire roof of my (detached) garage. I envision using a crane, somehow lifting the entire top, adding 3 feet of 2x4 at every stud, and re-attaching top. :)

I bet Monster Garage could do it!

If you have a level driveway you can try to take the boat off your truck and lower the trailer with a car jack, this will bring the tongue about 4 inches from the ground and should work. We had to take the pylon off my friends tower, but got his in this way.

As for the wiring, the illusion is pre wired in the tower and has little excess, so the installer had to either splice the wires, run new ones, or put disconnects so you should be okay, but that tower is not a lot of fun to take on and off.

Interesting idea... I doubt I could roll the trailer though. It's a tandem and only fits diagonal.

I could also possibly lower the air in the tires, but then there's no damn way I could rotate it in the garage.

Thats's a lot of work every time I take the boat out. Drop tower, lower air in tires, maybe drop tongue, etc.

Dammit...

That is def not fun...I know my friend is looking into having his door opened up more and said it isn't going to cost much. Another option may be a canopy off the side or a tent. My local dealer used to have a tent that they detailed in and could drop sides down during the night so the boat would not get dirty. It was a tight squeeze with maybe 6 inches on the side of each boat, but was a nice idea.

Boomer, get the dealer to save you the shrink wrap off an incoming VLX and use it over your cover which would take minutes to tie down if they don't butcher the cover when it comes in. I have to store mine outside in summer and when it's gonna rain a bunch I put the plastic over my cover! :lightning:

• 1 year later...
Ok, you guys are on crack! Unless the tower folded down below the steering wheel, there's no way it's lower than the windshield.

Lowered the tower, and the "ball" part on top, where the rop attaches, is still a good foot over the windshield. The wakeboard racks was a few inches taller still.

Front view:

post-41-1113101939_thumb.jpg

If I have 83" to the top of door, can I get this in my garage? This is the only issue keeping me from buying a VLX with Illusion. No chance of getting a Titan 3 tower in is there?

Dude, just leave it outside and keep it covered, if the cover gets dirty buy a new one, or just buy a new boat, it will be a heck of alot cheaper than making your garage roof 3 feet taller.