Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Houseboating help

Buzz

I have been searching but not having any luck. Back in the MBO days, I remember a thread regarding what to bring on a houseboat, as far as supplies, things you don't want to forget, etc. Most importantly, I also remember someone had posted a couple lists (very complete) of things to bring, and also remember one that showed meals, and how they shared cooking duties, something like that.

Sorry to sound like a dummy, but I am taking my first houseboat trip next week to Shasta, and we have been discussing the food thing, and trying to get it organized. Some of them have been on a houseboat before, but a few of us are virgins. I was just hoping for a bit of input from you vets.

If someone either has a list, or can point me to a link, it would be greatly appreciated.

Tanks in advance,

Buzz

I have been searching but not having any luck.  Back in the MBO days, I remember a thread regarding what to bring on a houseboat, as far as supplies, things you don't want to forget, etc.  Most importantly, I also remember someone had posted a couple lists (very complete) of things to bring, and also remember one that showed meals, and how they shared cooking duties, something like that.

Sorry to sound like a dummy, but I am taking my first houseboat trip next week to Shasta, and we have been discussing the food thing, and trying to get it organized.  Some of them have been on a houseboat before, but a few of us are virgins.  I was just hoping for a bit of input from you vets.

If someone either has a list, or can point me to a link, it would be greatly appreciated.

Tanks in advance,

Buzz

I don't know about a list but as long as you have enough beer and enough meat to BBQ everything else is just details. "Enough" can vary greatly depending on the people coming.

I've been houseboating a bunch of times and I was starting to compile my list too for our upcoming trip. I did a search here and on wakeworld, but came up empty too.

Here's what I have so far... FYI I don't really do the food my wife handles that:

1. Flashlight

2. Small shovel

3. Gas Match stick

4. Tools

5. Videos / DVDs

6. MP3 Player

7. sunscreen

8. Hats / glasses

9. ICE

10. Bar Soap

11. Liquid Dish Soap

12. Coffee

13. First Aid

14. Tubes, Boards, Surf, Knee

15. Ropes

16. Bumpers

17. Bimini

18. Fat Sacs

19. Cards / Board Games

20. Small Sledge Hammer

depending on how many couples are going we assign each couple a day of meals and clean up each couple is responsible for breakfast, mid afternoon hors dourves, and dinner, for the crew.

usually breakfast is so late in the morning we for-go lunch.

everyone has there own ideas but this one works for us.

on WOW weekend last weekend, since it was just three days each couple was resposible for only one meal each.

[

I don't know about a list but as long as you have enough beer and enough meat to BBQ everything else is just details. "Enough" can vary greatly depending on the people coming.

Haaa!

I won't be short on beer! I was thinking of getting about 10 various bags of chips, and maybe some dip and jalapenos. That should do it.

The shovel is probably no longer needed, but I bring it anyway. Here's why. Our first year out, we moored the houseboat to the shore as in the attached picture. We hung out for three days. On the day it was time to move.... the water had dropped and we were stuck on the shore. It was only after digging with a framing hammer for about 2 hours we were able to free ourselves. That's an experience I don't wish to repeat.

Buzz: Here's a tip. Loosen the ropes when you tie off the boat about a foot or two every day and back up the boat so you don't get stuck.

The shovel is probably no longer needed, but I bring it anyway.  Here's why.  Our first year out, we moored the houseboat to the shore as in the attached picture.  We hung out for three days.  On the day it was time to move.... the water had dropped and we were stuck on the shore.  It was only after digging with a framing hammer for about 2 hours we were able to free ourselves.  That's an experience I don't wish to repeat.

Buzz:  Here's a tip.  Loosen the ropes when you tie off the boat about a foot or two every day and back up the boat so you don't get stuck.

Great advice. I am not sure if we are tying up to the shore, or out in the middle of a cove. Hey, I hear shasta has bears!! Someone said they also can swimm!!!!!

AAahhhhh!!!

I've been houseboating a bunch of times and I was starting to compile my list too for our upcoming trip.  I did a search here and on wakeworld, but came up empty too.

Here's what I have so far... FYI I don't really do the food my wife handles that:

1. Flashlight

2. Small shovel

3. Gas Match stick

4. Tools

5. Videos / DVDs

6. MP3 Player

7. sunscreen

8. Hats / glasses

9. ICE

10. Bar Soap

11. Liquid Dish Soap

12. Coffee

13. First Aid

14. Tubes, Boards, Surf, Knee

15. Ropes

16. Bumpers, Bumpers, Bumpers

17. Bimini

18. Fat Sacs

19.        Cards / Board Games

20.        Small Sledge Hammer

21. Paper towels.

22. Paper plates and utensils (so you don't have to wash dishes)

23. Bedding, we were looking at HB's @ McClure and they mentioned we needed to bring our own bedding. You may want to check with your rental service.

As far a small sledge hammer, most of the HB's we've been on had one.

The shovel is probably no longer needed, but I bring it anyway.  Here's why.  Our first year out, we moored the houseboat to the shore as in the attached picture.  We hung out for three days.  On the day it was time to move.... the water had dropped and we were stuck on the shore.  It was only after digging with a framing hammer for about 2 hours we were able to free ourselves.  That's an experience I don't wish to repeat.

Buzz:  Here's a tip.  Loosen the ropes when you tie off the boat about a foot or two every day and back up the boat so you don't get stuck.

How to un-stick a houseboat.

pull in all the ropes, get all the ski boats moved away. Put the the boat in forward and turn the rudder hard right. When you turn hard right, the right pontoon will start to pull off the beach as the boats left side starts turning towards the beach. Repeat this turning left hard rudder. It may take several attempts but you will eventually loossen the pontoons from the beach.

It works, we do it every weekend when the lake starts to lower

Yeah.... We tried all steering directions to try and unstick the houseboat when we were stuck. It's just that the lake had dropped too much and the little prop couldn't create enough force to shimmy us loose.

I've heard that Shasta has bears too, but I've never seen one. I've read reports that they do swim and have boarded houseboats. Keep your trash cans covered and all food products put away. I'm not sure what the right re-action is if one is to board your boat.

If you get a bunch of yellow jackets, a bit of cooked meat thrown on the shore about 30 to 40 yards from the houseboat will keep most of them at bay. If you drink sodas and there's a lot of yellow jackets around, make sure you check your drink before taking a swig or you could be in for a surprise!

We are doing our first houseboat trip over Fathers Day to Lake Mead. We are using Seven Crowns Resorts and their web site has all the stuff they include so we don't need to bring those items.

Here is our preliminary food list, by day, and you can change it accordingly.

Greg

We are doing our first houseboat trip over Fathers Day to Lake Mead. We are using Seven Crowns Resorts and their web site has all the stuff they include so we don't need to bring those items.

Here is our preliminary food list, by day, and you can change it accordingly.

Greg

Thanks Greg. That was one of the type of lists I was looking for. Shopping may be on the way to the lake. A list like this would really help.

BTW - When are you going to make it out to San V? Hope to see you there sometime. Let me know.

yeah they do have bears at shasta. we had a cub keep coming into our camp last year but he was forgetful that I had my lab who was ready to rip him a new one. the sound of a running scared cub is priceless and the look on my dog when he came back with his tongue out was better. our neighbors told us the cub had jumped on their cooler trying to get in it. most of the bears are more scared of us than they are of us.