Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How do you get the courage?

WakeAndSnoWife

Not sure if this is off topic...

So I have been boarding for almost 4 years. I have watched the videos, gone to clinics, have a wonderful supporting wakeboarding husband....BUT I still have not been able to clear the wake. As you might have guessed, this is a little frustrating. Just wondering for anyone (boarders, skiiers, tubers Biggrin.gif ) How do you get the strength in yourself and the courage to just go for it, whether it is a jump, slider, whatever...I need some encouragement

Frustrated.gif

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WakeAndSnoWife

• WakeGirl

• WakeAndSno

• jklein

I assume you have a good vest, right? The next concern for me is my eardrums. You could get a wakeboarding helmet to protect your head as well as your eardrums. Where a one piece (or board shorts), tighten the vest, hold the rope low, and go for it.

If you have made it most of the way or have cased the wake, it is a much harder landing than on the other side.

GIT-R-DONE

It may or may not work for you...I just thought of this. Shorten the rope! Learn to go W2W with a shoter line and narrower wake. Then progressively make the line longer and longer.

Only thing I can think of.

Jay

My girlfriend deals with many of these same issues while wakeboarding. She gets frustrated when she feels she does not progress as quickly as some other people and will occasionally get scared but not really be able to explain what she is scared of. It helps her to think about the following things:

1. The reason to be out there at all is to have fun. If you find yourself worried about other things than having fun, take a second to relax, get a smile on your face and go back out and enjoy it

2. There is really nothing to be scared of. Even the worst fall you can possibly take isn't so bad.

3. Try to improve a little bit every time. Choose one thing you know you need to work on and try to improve it at least a bit every time you go out. If you need to work on cutting and edging harder, try to increase it jus ta bit every time you go out.

One other thing. When my girlfrined first started she didn't want to go any faster than 19 mph. It is VERY HARD to clear the wake at 19 mph even on the shortest rope and eventually she got up to around 21-21.5 mph and can clear the wake now. It can take a while to believe it but speed can often be your friend.

How do you get the strength in yourself and the courage to just go for it, whether it is a jump, slider, whatever...I need some encouragement

Frustrated.gif

They sell it in bottles.

ROFL.gif

You can do it!!!!

Wait for a real nice sunny day, no one around and just giver'.

You'll be just fine.

The wake wants you to clear it. So go do it.

Grit your teeth, and kick off that cork soaker.

Chaunce,

That really could be it. I go at about 18.5/19 but if I go faster I get scared. Maybe I will try that.

For all,

Is there something that you think about when you are going at the wake? My thought is Oh $@*%, which is probably not what I should be thinking Help.gif

How do you get the strength in yourself and the courage to just go for it, whether it is a jump, slider, whatever...I need some encouragement

Frustrated.gif

They sell it in bottles.

ROFL.gif

I tried wakeboarding while enebriated once. It worked out even worse than I thought it would. Crazy.gif

For all,

Is there something that you think about when you are going at the wake? My thought is Oh $@*%, which is probably not what I should be thinking  Help.gif

Just visualize landing on the downslope of the 2nd wake, and don't think about falling! Good luck!!!

Chaunce,

That really could be it. I go at about 18.5/19 but if I go faster I get scared. Maybe I will try that.

For all,

Is there something that you think about when you are going at the wake? My thought is Oh $@*%, which is probably not what I should be thinking  Help.gif

I consider myself to be pretty good but clearing the wake at 19 mph is tough. If I tried to jump my long rope length at 19 I probably couldn't clear it At higher speeds not only is the wake narrower but it is easier to get air off it when you are on edge.

It is intimidating at first to increase speed but well worth it in the long run. 21.5 isn't really that much faster than 19 in the grand scheme of things but it can really help with a wake jump. If it feels too fast at first, just remembr that its nothing compared to slalom or barefoot speeds.

Chaunce,

For all,

OK - I'm not too much into boarding, but can clear the wake normally. To help get over the speed thing, put on a ski ( skinny board with bindings, one in front of the other) and ski at 28 or 30mph for a while. Cross the wake and get used to the higher speeds, then when you get on the board (short fat sideways contraption) and the 20 to 21mph will feel slow. I know it sounds wierd, but you will get used to the higher speeds.

It's definitely a mental block. I had the same thing when I was first trying an invert last year.

You might try a couple of things that will help you get used to the progressive edge you're going to need.

Assuming you ride "goofy" (right foot forward) try these exercises:

1. from the curl of the wake on the driver's side, practice edging out into the flats. This will get you used to cutting and speeding up with your cut without having to actually hit the wake as you build up speed.

2. from the inside of the wake on the observer's side with a nice long rope, cut across the inside of the wake to the driver's side and jump off the wake into the flats. This will give you a bit of air and a bit of "air awareness" and an idea of what it feels like to land on the other side of the wake. You won't land in the curl, but it's still similar.

3. finally, take an easy cut from the outside of the wake on the observer's side and just pop up and land in the center of the wake directly behind the boat. This will give you a feel for what it's like to get a bit of pop off the wake and have a somewhat soft landing in the prop wash. Remember to keep the handle low and close to your hips and thighs pulling the handle into your hips and thighs as you leave the wake into the air.

good luck

Chaunce,

For all,

OK - I'm not too much into boarding, but can clear the wake normally. To help get over the speed thing, put on a ski ( skinny board with bindings, one in front of the other) and ski at 28 or 30mph for a while. Cross the wake and get used to the higher speeds, then when you get on the board (short fat sideways contraption) and the 20 to 21mph will feel slow. I know it sounds wierd, but you will get used to the higher speeds.

We don't do skis Crazy.gif

Thanks everyone keep the kind words of encourgement coming for my girl! She can do it!

JZ

I know and you know you can do it.

Follow Jklein's advice about getting used to speed and cutting.

Go a little faster and use a shorter rope and.......

The next thing you will post about is landing ever so gracefully in the flats.

Yahoo.gifYahoo.gifYahoo.gif

Have fun.

Edited by dlb

Right now its all in your head. You need to visualize yourself completing the jump. You know how to do it. You just need to let yourself. Its like in golf. If you say "don't hit it in the water", your brain says hit it in the water. Don't fixate on falling. Think positive. If you think you will fall, you will.

Good Luck

Don't look down!!!! You look down you fall down!!!! The one thing that helps is to look at the top of the tower. Shorting the rope helps a ton. This way the wake is smaller. DO NOT LOOK DOWN. Do not look at the water look up you will get a better height... If this doesn't work. Then drink more... Just have fun out there. Go to a Malibu Crew weekend someone should be able to help you out. Oh and you can bring your husband too. Biggrin.gif

Brad

PS.. Your husband is a lucky guy to have his wife 1. Like to waterski (wakeboard) 2. To be on this site with a bunch of PIA's like us. 3. Be able to up with us too Surprised.gif

ok, I'll get a little serious this time around.

How bad do you want to do it? There is a direct correlation between desire and results. It appears you want to do it: your asking for help and trying, at least we think you are trying, but we haven't seen you try.

There is a lot of good advise above, some points I would focus on would be boat speed, try increasing boat speed a little. Like up to 21 but perferably 22 - seriously... I know it's scarry, but in the grand scheme of things 19 vs 21 isin't going to make you hurt that much more! Try riding around at the higher speed, don't try jumping at that speed, just ride around and get used to the board, the wake, how everything is different at the higher speed, only once you become more comfortable at that speed should you attempt to jump the wake.

The short rope helps you clear both wakes for obvious reasons, but if you are having problems still I like to suggest a slightly different approach. Ride at long line! Add some sections and ride at 80+ feet. Here's why... right now, when you don't make it you are landing on a very uneven surface and are forced directly into the second wake - which is hard to ride on/over! If you lengthen the rope and ride at 80+ feet when you jump normally you land in between the wakes in the smooth stuff. You should not attempt to jump both at 80 feet, it just gives you a smoother landing strip until you get comfy jumping farther, it also lets you get used to riding at higher speeds (cut in speeds - not boat speeds - you should have already worked up to that above). Cutting in faster (not a lot mind you) will greatly help you make it above and over both wakes. When you get comfy jumping at the longer rope lenght and at the higher speeds then move the rope all the way in and try the same approach to the wake - yes it will feel different and yes you will have less time to cut into the wake. This is just another approach that helps people get past their fear of just going for it! Good luck!

All good info above. What I'd like to know is what she looks like when she's riding up the wake, JZ? My biggest problem is that if I don't concentrate on what I need to do to get across, I flatten out as I ride up the wake. In other words, I take the board off edge losing everthing that I've built up coming in to the wake & I usually end up casing the far wake which usually results in a spectacular wreck. If I really think about it & concentrate on what I need to do, I can easily clear it every time, & I ride at about 18-19. The biggest thing with the fear/"OH $@*%" is that you haven't cleared the wake, thus you don't know how much nicer & easier that landing is, & that there really isn't any "OH $@*%" that should go with it. The "OH $@*%" is for when you don't do what you need to do as you ride up the wake. That was my biggest hurdle.

I've actually been told that a small shot of tequila or vodka before a run can help the inhibitions go away. Never tried it myself because I might end up in traction, but it may work for you. Surprised.gif

I've actually been told that a small shot of tequila or vodka before a run can help the inhibitions go away.  Never tried it myself because I might end up in traction, but it may work for you. Surprised.gif

Well let's try it at Oroville we'll have plenty vodka for ya ROFL.gif

All good info above.  What I'd like to know is what she looks like when she's riding up the wake, JZ?  My biggest problem is that if I don't concentrate on what I need to do to get across, I flatten out as I ride up the wake.  In other words, I take the board off edge losing everthing that I've built up coming in to the wake & I usually end up casing the far wake which usually results in a spectacular wreck.  If I really think about it & concentrate on what I need to do, I can easily clear it every time, & I ride at about 18-19.  The biggest thing with the fear/"OH $@*%" is that you haven't cleared the wake, thus you don't know how much nicer & easier that landing is, & that there really isn't any "OH $@*%" that should go with it.  The "OH $@*%" is for when you don't do what you need to do as you ride up the wake.  That was my biggest hurdle.

I've actually been told that a small shot of tequila or vodka before a run can help the inhibitions go away.  Never tried it myself because I might end up in traction, but it may work for you. Surprised.gif

That's exactly the issue. Whatever it is is keeping her from holding the edge through the top of the wake. I'm not sure if its fear or what, but she is definitely flattening out. She is great at holding the edge from one side to the other when doing the wake crossing drill (absorbing the wake), but then flattens off when trying to jump.

If we could just get some more time on the water, she'd have it!

JZ

Yeah, that still tends to be my biggest problem, even though I know how much better it feels to land on the other side. One thing that people have a tendency to do is to try & "jump" as they get to the top of the wake, this may be the problem as well. For myself, my best crossings in terms of air & distance are when I just lock up when I get to the wake. It's amazing how the combination of line tension & edging will literally vault you into the air, & "trying to jump" actually diminishes these things.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Yeah, that still tends to be my biggest problem, even though I know how much better it feels to land on the other side.  One thing that people have a tendency to do is to try & "jump" as they get to the top of the wake, this may be the problem as well.  For myself, my best crossings in terms of air & distance are when I just lock up when I get to the wake.  It's amazing how the combination of line tension & edging will literally vault you into the air, & "trying to jump" actually diminishes these things.

When I went to ride the spot with Shapiro, he taught me to stand tall on the wake...but the fear takes over and I think I am standing but rather I am keeping my knees bent and absorbing the wake. I think I need to watch myself because I think that I am doing everything right when I'm out there, but obviously I'm not. That tequila idea might actually work...we'll have to try it at one of the WOW's.