Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Submersible courses

DNA'er

Now that Accusink is out of the picture, are there any other manufacturers of submersible course systems? The local DNR here is starting to crack down on permanent courses and wants us to go to a daily pullout. Instead of going to a portable course, I would rather invest in a submersible system. Ease of use, speed of setup, gee-whiz factor and no jetski ball harvesting all favor going underwater. Anybody have the latest on this?

Check out E-Bay. We sold ours 2 years ago there. It was nothing but a PITA, should have been called Accustink. Just my opinion.

Edited by onamission
  • 1 year later...

I am considering installing a course as well. Like others, I don't think the locals on my lake would appreciate anything that resembled a permanent ski course. Sure, the portables can be installed in an hour or so..... but I don't want to go through that hassle each day I want to ski either. I've helped others put in & take out their courses. Messy.

Looks like a new company (Wallyskier) has bought the rights/patent for the former Accustink (I added the "t"), improved it, and now sells a version called the "WALLYSINKER".

http://www.wallyskier.com/wallysinker.aspx

Has anybody tried it.... heard about it..... etc.

If not..... I'm open to suggestions re the "best" (as in easiest to install/remove) portable course.

(PS. I'm not interested in Dr. Michael's bungee cord course.)

Thanks folks!

Doug, we can install and un-install our course in 20 minutes flat. It's a pretty minor inconvenience relative to the benefit having a course to ski in regularly. I'd seriously suggest you look into a portable course. Our portable ranks amongst the best money we've ever spent on ski equipment, including the boat! Feel free to PM me for any suggestions on using the portable. Ed at EZ-Slalom makes the best portable out there and he'll talk to you for an hour about portables if you call him- great guy.

Doug, we can install and un-install our course in 20 minutes flat. It's a pretty minor inconvenience relative to the benefit having a course to ski in regularly. I'd seriously suggest you look into a portable course. Our portable ranks amongst the best money we've ever spent on ski equipment, including the boat! Feel free to PM me for any suggestions on using the portable. Ed at EZ-Slalom makes the best portable out there and he'll talk to you for an hour about portables if you call him- great guy.

Sounds great. Understanding the differences between the available NON-submersable portable courses (EZ Slalom, Insta-Slalom, and Accu-Float... and any other on the market) will help. When I look at the web-based data, they all "look and sound" the same. Hearing from actual users will help me.

Thanks. I'll PM you.

Edited by doughickey

To M3: Thanks so much for the PM. Great info. Exactly what I was looking for.

You're really helping in my homework.

As for quick install/removal: I'm hoping my pontoon boat can take on that task..... to keep the mess out of the BU.

I just made contact with Ed at EZ Slalom. Great conversation.

I can kinda feel a course might be arriving with Santa soon. I just gotta be a good boy. Or a naughty boy.

(And do some convincing with my CFO)

Thanks.

Edited by doughickey

The bu will probably be the best deployment vehicle as the swim platform is crucial. Just buy some cheap rubber-backed rugs to cover the transom gel. The spool of line goes on the motorbox, and the pipe sections go on one side of the motorbox on the floor. It will be harder to deploy on the pontoon if you ask me.

Been doing a lot of thinking re "submersible" vs "portable". Same logic regardless of whether I build or purchase. As much as I like the idea of a submersible, I have to recognize the area of the lake it would be installed in is used a lot by other boaters during the day AND after dark for fishing.

a) Potential for technical problems. From a design/engineering perspective, having 22 bladders and 22 sand bags, 500+ feet of airline and connections and a pump..... it just has too many "break points" or areas that could go wrong or need adjustment.

B) New company: WallySinker has not been out for very long. Not a proven product. The feedback I've heard re the old Accusink doesn't sound positive either. Conversely, if I build it from scratch, I'll have my own set of technical problems.... let alone the time needed to build. TIME is even a more precious commodity for me. I'm not rich, but I have more money than I have time.

c) Potential for fishermen either purposely or accidentally causing damage. The area I would install in is used a LOT by other boaters. Many pontoon boats come to our end, throw out an anchor, and go swimming. If the sinkable course is submerged, they wouldn't be able to see it. Damage or injury could result. Just having 1 pontoon boat throw out an anchor ... get it caught on a bladder, pull up their anchor, puncture a bladder, etc etc etc. Fishermen troll (day and evening) a lot in my area of the lake. They WOULD get their lures caught on an underwater course. Losing a $10-$20 lure would be enough (in their minds) to investigate, then decide to "fix" the problem .... namely wreck the course. In a way, couldn't blame them for me causing a problem and loss of their lure. It's their lake too.

d) Not very "portable" if I need to relocate around the lake to spread out the "irritation" factor to other lakeside property owners and boaters.

I'm concluding it's a portable I need.

Edited by doughickey