Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

broken Hard tank

Hello! this is my first post on the new site.

I need some help. I borrowed my good friends 03' VLX. When i was using it i ran into a little problem with the Ballast system. The hard plastic insert into the rear hard tank totally broke. It is right when the hose goes into the tank. One end is threaded and the other end allows the hose to connect.

So my questions are

1. Anybody know were i can get this part from, I do not want to go through my local dealer because the boat owner is not exactly happy with the dealer. anybody know of another source for the part?

I did find a part that was very close at GI joes for a livewell. It might work if i cannot find the real part.

2. THe peace broke and left the threaded part still screwed into the tank. anybody have any idea how to get it out. I really hope it does not have something on the inside that is holding it in there. THat is what the one i found at Joe's was like. If that is the case I really have no idea what to do.

SO any advice?

Welcome to the site Chadellt85!! I also would recommend checking out that other thread and a simple trip over to your local home building superstore. You should be able to find everything you need there.

JZ

I used a hacksaw blade to get mine out. Just saw a small slice into the leftover threads. Then once the blade has a "bite" start turning it.

I'll try to post some pics tonight. Good luck.

Thanks for all the help. I will be heading to home depot today. I think the 03 VlX only has two fittings on the top. and maybe two more on the back. SO that would mean i should get 8. Well thanks for all the help and it sounds like the tanks will be better that new after i replace all the fittings.

There are two on the top and one on the bottom - front and back - in other words the back side that you don't see has the same holes too.

Perfect oppotunity to pull the tanks and replace with sacs

Yep. You're buddy may even let you borrow his boat again if you do that. And, btw, the fittings were probably broken before you borrowed it.

I got what i needed at Home Depot. Thanks so much

So on the bottom of the tank(right where the pump goes to drain) there is an identicle fitting? I didnt seem to think it was the same. But if you guys think it is then i will go buy the rest of them tonight. I dont really have access to the boat till sunday and would like to have the right parts

The local boat mechanic told the owner that maybe he should go with brass. this seems like a bad idea to me. Those brass fittings cold mess up the plastic tanks right? and be more $

I did mine with brass cuz I just happened to have them at the slip.

Then I replaced the tanks with sacs the following weekend and have been escatic about my ballast setup ever since.

if yer just gonna redo the fittings go ahead and use plastic from Lowes Depot.

But get either the white plastic or the gray plastic - I think they are a bit more heavy duty that the black.

But all those will be crap in 2 or 3 years anyway.

Well I was going to post some pics, but I guess I can't. Let me know if you want me to PM the pics to you. I have several of the shots of the broken plugs and how I got the threads out.

Thanks for the offer superjet. I think I will be ok without the pictures. Thanks for everything everybody

In the sprinkler dept. of any home store they have a tool for removing broken sprinkler head threads. Looks like a "T" handle and a tapered "square" bit on the end. Same idea as an E-Z out. Push it in firmly and turn at the same time and you got it. ...mabbe a triangular file, if you've got one???

Just a FYI...i used the curved roofing knife so I wouldn't have to remove the tank or need a 10-15" area in front of the fitting to remove it. These are all good ways to remove the remains of the fitting. Fortunatly they are not in that tight.

Hey Chad, Brian and I ripped out the tanks for ya today and we ended up putting in my 540lb sacs. Brian is going to buy is own sacs for the back compartments now. The wake was HUGE today!!! It was really steep because we had no weight in the bow, but we are going to plum a sac in the later on. For everyone who has done this mod how much weight did you add to the bow?

OMG, you guys are out of control. I cant believe you talked him into replacing the tanks. well i guess that it is a good thing that the plastic broke. MOre weight baby! So should I return that stuff to home depot?

I would wait until he actually buys the new sacs....knowing him he could change his mind in a second. But if he does keep with the sacs, he will want those pieces so he can sell the tanks.

I put 440s in each trunk and that is plenty for my 23LSV.

And a 300 in the ski locker.

A 200 under the bow fill cushion and another 200 in the bow seat that can be shifted to the surf side.

That way skinny girls can sit in the bow - easier for the driver to keep an eye on.