Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Alcohol on the boat

denjoe

All,

What is the Ca law for Alcohol on your boat? My understanding is, that there is no open container law forbidding open beers, just the driver can't be above the legal limit. Is that true?

Joe

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stewart

• denjoe

• NorCaliBu

• RTS

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes.

You can drink all you want but, the driver can't blow over the legal driving limit. (.08 ?) BTW, it's the same offense as driving a car.

One other thing to think about is ,technically, any skier or person behind the boat can't be over either.

Edited by Pistol Pete

I believe Georgia's law is the same. Does anyone know for sure?

BTW, I read a terrible story today in Trailer Boats magazine about alcohol and boating.

here (ohio) it depends if you are in a "park" or "state land" Vs. something like the Ohio River, which is totally different.

alot has to do with you and the interaction you have with the officer

(oh yeah, have all your other stuff READY, fire ex., ins. card, title, PFD's)

in Oh they MAY confinscate the boat if the owner is drunk and behind the wheele. They cannot confinscate the boat if the captain (not owner)is drunk.

Yes.

You can drink all you want but, the driver can't blow over the legal driving limit. (.08 ?) BTW, it's the same offense as driving a car.

that helps me out a little considering i'm almost 21 and there is usually an extreme amount of beer aboard(i'm never "the drunk guy" mind you. i have to be the responsible one.)

someone told me it was no open containers and i got kinda scared. but a trip to havasu, the parker strip, and the lower river quicly debunked that theory.

Alcohol blurs your judgement. Whether it's the driver, the person getting pulled, the spotter, or anyone else on board.... I don't like being an a lake where others have lessened their abilities to make good decisions. Accidents (I hate that word... because so many "accidents" are avoidable) happen real fast. No need to have alcohol be one of the contributing factors.

Yes.

that helps me out a little considering i'm almost 21 and there is usually an extreme amount of beer aboard(i'm never "the drunk guy" mind you. i have to be the responsible one.)

someone told me it was no open containers and i got kinda scared. but a trip to havasu, the parker strip, and the lower river quicly debunked that theory.

Good thing you don't live in Florida. Here, the law is .08, same as a car, IF you are over 21. If you are under 21, there is a "zero tolerance" policy that states if you blow .02 (basically ONE beer), and are under 21, you face the same penalties as someone 21 or older being over the .08 - this applies to cars and boats.

On the chain of lakes I boat on, there is not an open container law, but the lakes have "concentrated" law enforcement (i.e. the Sheriff's department, Freshwater Game Commission(State Law Enforcement), and the Coast Guard Auxillary are all out at the same time), so it's best to keep the drinking to a VERY moderate level.

Plus, I'm with the others who say there is not a lot of room for such activities on the lake. I feel you are too far away from help, should the need arise, and it's best to have your wits about you at all times.

All,

What is the Ca law for Alcohol on your boat?  My understanding is, that there is no open container law forbidding open beers, just the driver can't be above the legal limit.  Is that true?

Joe

You have a run in with a ranger Joe?

I don't drink, but ALWAYS assume the guy behind my wakeboarder is plastered and doesn't have the judgement skills to see them when they fall down. Kind of like always assuming a gun is loaded. Keep the person in the water safe.

At our local lake here I think you can't have an open container within 200 feet of shore (empty's ok). Other than that the (0.08) rule applies.

I don't really bring any booze on my boat, but I have to admit it is nice to have one cold beer at the end of the day when the last ride is done.

Ya, the lake implemented that rule after a couple alcohol related drownings. I like the rule and believe that it keeps my family a little more safe out there from the idiots. Just one more reason not to go out on a holiday or weekend.

At our local lake here I think you can't have an open container within 200 feet of shore (empty's ok).  Other than that the (0.08) rule applies.

Good to know. I thought Folsom went completely dry...I'm typically with you jklein, just a cold one at end of day.

At our local lake here I think you can't have an open container within 200 feet of shore (empty's ok).  Other than that the (0.08) rule applies.

I don't really bring any booze on my boat, but I have to admit it is nice to have one cold beer at the end of the day when the last ride is done.

Or is it that your boat cant be touching the shore away from the park area's?

Think of this also. .08 is the law for class C drivers but for class A it's .04 Shocking.gif

Think of this also. .08 is the law for class C drivers but for class A it's .04 Shocking.gif

D-GOOSE - you're right (at least per this web site).

http://www.folsomlakemarina.com/alcohol.html

D-GOOSE - you're right (at least per this web site).

http://www.folsomlakemarina.com/alcohol.html

The shoreline alcohol is prohibited as enforced by the State Parks while the waterways are patrolled by the Department of Water Ways. You can drink on state lakes in a boat just not on shore. The entrance to Folsom and others say no alcohol hoping people will think this everywhere. BTW it's up to a water cop if you're too intoxicated not just the .08. Water ways have alot of interpretation.

Same at Lake Ray Roberts - almost totally surrounded by state park and no alcohol is allowed in the park but no such rule on the water.

In our party cove we raft up and watch knuckleheads getting busted drinking on the shore.

Same in AZ (0.08) on or off the water.

I rarely have any beer on my boat. If there is, it is somebody's that I'm taking with me just for the ride and they are not driving on of off the water.

I agree with Doug and chathamsolutions.

All,

What is the Ca law for Alcohol on your boat?  My understanding is, that there is no open container law forbidding open beers, just the driver can't be above the legal limit.  Is that true?

Joe

I don't drink, but ALWAYS assume the guy behind my wakeboarder is plastered and doesn't have the judgement skills to see them when they fall down. Kind of like always assuming a gun is loaded. Keep the person in the water safe.

Andy,

No, I have not had any run-ins nor am I a heavy drinker. But, I am not against people on my boat having a couple of beers in the sun. I am a very, very responsible boat driver & owner, but I would be lying if I said I have never had a beer on a boat after a good ski run.

Joe

Guest J-Ro
All,

Joe

Andy,

No, I have not had any run-ins nor am I a heavy drinker. But, I am not against people on my boat having a couple of beers in the sun. I am a very, very responsible boat driver & owner, but I would be lying if I said I have never had a beer on a boat after a good ski run.

Joe

Wow, someone who is responsible enough to not need the govt or other people telling him how to live his life (ie "No one should drink on the boat its dangerous blah blah").

All,

Joe

Andy,

Joe

Wow, someone who is responsible enough to not need the govt or other people telling him how to live his life (ie "No one should drink on the boat its dangerous blah blah").

J-Ro,

Laws are created to protect the stupid and irresponsible. While I am confessing, I have gone out and had a few drinks then driven my car. Man am I a rebel. Either way I am responsible, and I know when I have too many.

Joe

Hey Joe,

We'll be riding on the Delta on Saturday, and yes we can have beer on the boat.

Stewart,

Thanks for the invite, unfortunately I have to help my in-laws close their family business this weekend. Which means, moving crap and listening to a bunch of Italians complaining. I would much rather be out with you guys. After you get back from your big trip, lets definitely hook up.

Joe

yes we can have beer on the boat.

Thumbup.gif I like beer- and on the boat, I'm all about underachievin.. and my C- beer reflects that quality not-at-work attitude.

I'm all about moderation (right guys..) at least if I'm going to be driving, or walking across J-Ro's boat..

Addictedto6 Yep thats the web site I found my info on in the past.

I was hanging in the 5mph zone this last weekend and seen like 4 boat going over 10 and Mad.gif 3 jet ski's going at least 25mph. Were are the cops when you want them. Ranting.gif

Addictedto6  Yep thats the web site I found my info on in the past.

I was hanging in the 5mph zone this last weekend and seen like 4 boat going over 10 and Mad.gif 3 jet ski's going at least 25mph.  Were are the cops when you want them.  Ranting.gif

Yea - like you'd never ride in the no-wake zone Biggrin.gif

Addictedto6  Yep thats the web site I found my info on in the past.

I was hanging in the 5mph zone this last weekend and seen like 4 boat going over 10 and Mad.gif 3 jet ski's going at least 25mph.  Were are the cops when you want them.  Ranting.gif

Yea - like you'd never ride in the no-wake zone Biggrin.gif

it is ok to ride in the no-wake zone as long as you have one of those small wake VLX's....right Joe?