Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Alcohol on the boat

denjoe

Addictedto6  Yep thats the web site I found my info on in the past.

I was hanging in the 5mph zone this last weekend and seen like 4 boat going over 10 and Mad.gif 3 jet ski's going at least 25mph.  Were are the cops when you want them.  Ranting.gif

Yea - like you'd never ride in the no-wake zone Biggrin.gif

Troy & I rode in the no wake zone, about 9.8 mph but we weren't creating a wake so it was no big deal! ROFL.gif

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stewart

• denjoe

• NorCaliBu

• RTS

Top Posters In This Topic

I could swear that I read somewhere that here in Oregon & some other states where a spotter is required when pulling a skier/boarder, that the spotter had to be under the legal limit as well as the driver. I can't find it now. Anyone know if this is true?

operator had better be in the low single digits.

Isn't low single digits straight trashed? I think if I blow a 1.2 I would be "lit up".

Biggrin.gif

If you blew a 1.2 I think you might be dead...

Naw...for the longest time 1.0 was the legal limit in a lot of states. The feds came up with .08 when MADD formed and started making a lot of noise about the problem of drunk driving. 1.2 would be fairly drunk but I think you're looking at something around .3 - .4 before you croak from alcohol poisoning.

EDIT: :Doh: Dang decimal put itself in the wrong place... Biggrin.gif ...that's supposed to be .10 and .12

Edited by NorCaliBu

I think you mean 0.10, not 1.0. If you're at 1.0 you are 12.5 times the legal limit (assuming it's .08). Your blood would be 1% alcohol, you'd be hurting for sure.

Assuming a beer raises BAC by .02 (which I'm not positive about, but it rings a bell) you'd need to drink 50 beers in an hour to get to 1.0. Not sure that could be done (but I've given it a shot a few times in my college days...)

1) I think you mean 0.10...

2) ...you'd need to drink 50 beers in an hour to get to 1.0.  Not sure that could be done (but I've given it a shot a few times in my college days...)

1) Yes.gif Thanks, I edited. :)

2) :lol: Me too but it usually end with... Vomit.gif

:)

If you blew a 1.2 I think you might be dead...

Naw...for the longest time 1.0 was the legal limit in a lot of states. The feds came up with .08 when MADD formed and started making a lot of noise about the problem of drunk driving. 1.2 would be fairly drunk but I think you're looking at something around .3 - .4 before you croak from alcohol poisoning.

EDIT: :Doh: Dang decimal put itself in the wrong place... Biggrin.gif ...that's supposed to be .10 and .12

Before I left AZ, they had implemented a fairly structured DUI law.

BASIC DUI: Impaired to the slightest degree by alcohol or drugs, can be less than .08. Same penalties as Per Se DUI

COMMERCIAL DUI: Body alcohol content above 0.040 and driving a commercial vehicle.

MINOR DUI: Under 21 years old with any alcohol in system.

PER SE DUI: Body alcohol content above 0.080 within 2 hours of driving; JAIL: 10 consecutive days in jail. The court may suspend 9 of the 10 days if you agree to get an alcohol and/or drug evaluation, and submit to treatment. Loss of license for 90 days, plus fines.

EXTREME DUI: Body alcohol content above 0.150 (extreme DUI) within 2 hours of driving; JAIL: 30 consecutive days in jail. The Court may suspend 20 of the 30 days if you agree to get an alcohol and/or drug evaluation, and submit to treatment. Loss of license 90 days, Ignition Interlock Device.

FELONY DUI: Say Bye Bye Cry.gif

The reason I am posting this is because many people go to Havasu, Mead and Mohave. But many don't realize that on lakes like Havasu, there 11 law enforcement agencies patrolling that lake. If an AZ sheriff, pulls you over, even if its in the CA side of the lake, you are subject to AZ jurisdiction.

Also, for you speeders out there, while your in your vehicle if you see a CHP in the AZ side, THEY can site you! There is a tri-state agreement which allows law enforcement from the various agencies 60 miles into the neighboring state. Just an FYI.

That said, I'll be in Havasu next week Yahoo.gif

I think you mean 0.10, not 1.0.  If you're at 1.0 you are 12.5 times the legal limit (assuming it's .08).  Your blood would be 1% alcohol, you'd be hurting for sure.

Assuming a beer raises BAC by .02 (which I'm not positive about, but it rings a bell) you'd need to drink 50 beers in an hour to get to 1.0.  Not sure that could be done (but I've given it a shot a few times in my college days...)

rts,

Not quite. It is more like this:

One beer is equal to about .02 bac, so if you have 4 beers in an hour, it would bring you to a .08 bac - DUI in most states. Also keep in mind you usually burn off (metabolize) .02 in one hour.

These are very general, and depend on many factors like weight, metabolism, alcohol content of the drinks, etc. VERY general, but it is 4-5 for most of us, not 50. After 50 I would look like this Crazy.gifROFL.gifSurprised.gifYahoo.gif

I said 50 beers in an hour to get to 1.0, not 0.10. Watch those decimal places... :)

Further research yields...

BAC 0.30 - Many lose consciousness

0.40 - Most lose consciousness, some die

0.50 - Breathing stops, most die

I am now quite certain you could never blow 1.2 on a breathalizer, as you would be dead, so unless they "sucked" some air out of your lungs to stick in the machine, it couldn't happen.

Alcohol and boats are a dangerous mix. Just this past weekend we had a drowning at a local lake. It was said that alcohol was involved and the victim was not wearing a life jacket. They guy jumped in and could not swim. Two adults on the boat jumped in and tried to save him and about drowned in the process. The law officals said that they were surprised that the 2 guys trying to save the victim didn't drown also.

A lot of people can probably handle drinking on the lake if everything is normal. BUT what happens when a problem arrises?

I saw a stat a few years back. Can't remember the exact #s but it is a huge % of drownings that are alcohol related.

Just this past weekend we had a drowning at a local lake.  They guy jumped in and could not swim.  Two adults on the boat jumped in and tried to save him and about drowned in the process. 

Can't remember the exact #s but it is a huge % of drownings that are alcohol related.

For sure Alcohol doesn't help... but diving into water without the ability to swim (or a lifejacket)- No.gif

Darwin is at work here, sometimes you just can't stop nature...

Just this past weekend we had a drowning at a local lake.  They guy jumped in and could not swim.  Two adults on the boat jumped in and tried to save him and about drowned in the process. 

Can't remember the exact #s but it is a huge % of drownings that are alcohol related.

For sure Alcohol doesn't help... but diving into water without the ability to swim (or a lifejacket)- No.gif

Darwin is at work here, sometimes you just can't stop nature...

Most people don't realize how difficult it is for a sober person to rescue someone that's drowning let alone if the "rescuer" has had a few. That's what the throwable is for.

Most people don't realize how difficult it is for a sober person to rescue someone that's drowning let alone if the "rescuer" has had a few.  That's what the throwable is for.

Which throwable, the anchor or the cushion?