Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dead Battery

Headhunter 2317

Got to the lake yesterday and my brand new Blue Top battery was dead. I checked all of the possible swithches that I could have left on last Saturday when I put it up but none were on.

I think just to be on the safe side, I will disconnect the battery every time.

Any ideas on what could be draining it?

Edited by Headhunter 2317

you may want to put a multimeter in line with the battery to see if you are getting some stray current with all the switches off. I did this out of curiosity and found the only thing pulling amps was the stereo (I suppose it is to keep the memory in tact). It was only pulling 6 milliamps though, so I'm not worried about that draining the battery.

You say this is a brand new battery. Did you have this issue with your old battery? It could be a bad cell in the new battery and it can't keep a charge. Just a thought.

The Optima Blue Top is 3 weeks old. I took it back to Sears and they have it on a charger and they said they will test it when it's done. If something is wrong, they said I will get a new one no questions asked.

A very common culprit for drainage is the head unit. You could check for current flow with everything turned off, or just try unhooling the unit and see if you still end up with a dead battery.

I'm going to take the easy route of disconnecting the battery when I store.

If you are just going to unhook it, put a Perko switch in so you can just turn it to off to shut all power off.

The Optima Blue Top is 3 weeks old.  I took it back to Sears and they have it on a charger and they said they will test it when it's done.  If something is wrong, they said I will get a new one no questions asked.

What did the store say that was testing your battery?

Bought my boat last year useed and had the same problem. It WAS the head unit. Not sure why. I added a switch in the line to the stereo so I can positively cut the juice flow and the battery run down issue totaly went away. Do it!

Sears called me and said that the battery took a charge ok but they wanted to replace it for me just in case something was wrong with it.

THAT is customer service.