Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

prop turns in neutral

I just started my motor on a fake-a-lake for the first time today and noticed that the prop turned in neutral....I had problems starting the motor and traced it down to a bad neutral safety switch....when i replaced the switch it starts great and runs good but the prop turns, not just a little but at a good speed... is this right???

by the way this is my first inboard....

Thanks for any info you can provide,

Ken

Some do and some do not. However, the some that do, turn very very slowly. My RLX does not turn more than one revolution every couple seconds.

My buddy's PS190 turns quite a bit while in neutral on the trailer, but not enough to make the boat move while on the water.

Define "good speed"

Well its a 3 blade prop and its fast enough that you can't like watch one blade go round... it would definitely move the boat if on the water...

You should be able to have the cable adjusted to remove most or all of that movement. The prop should not spin enough to move the boat.

My old supra use to move in neutral. It turned out to be a warped clutch plate in the tranny. I eventually had it rebuit because it started slipping.

A lot of times when I'm running my engine on a fake a lake, I put a bungee around the prop blades. You definetely don't want that thing turning with no lube. Otherwise, if the bungee won't hold it, you defenitely need to adjust something to get rid of that rotation.

Transmission fluid has some viscosity to it, albeit not a tremendous amount. Still, when cold, and with a propshaft that has little to no resistance stopping it from turning, (like worn or well used strut bearings) the prop will turn in neutral.

Simply put a short 2x4 between the prop and the hull and turn the prop by hand up against it before starting your engine on a fake-a-lake. If the trannsmission fluid is HOT and it spins it in neutral, that is signs of a sticky clutch. But that is pretty rare. I've never seen a shift cable out on an inboard. The neutral detent is pretty obvious, and that cable doesn't stretch. If in doubt, just pop off the ball/socket on the tranny arm and move it manually.

Keep in mind, a newer or tight strut bearings will squeal like a stuck pig if you spin the propshaft dry.

pb.

Transmission fluid has some viscosity to it, albeit not a tremendous amount.  Still, when cold, and with a propshaft that has little to no resistance stopping it from turning, (like worn or well used strut bearings) the prop will turn in neutral.

Simply put a short 2x4 between the prop and the hull and turn the prop by hand up against it before starting your engine on a fake-a-lake.  If the trannsmission fluid is HOT and it spins it in neutral, that is signs of a sticky clutch.  But that is pretty rare.  I've never seen a shift cable out on an inboard.  The neutral detent is pretty obvious, and that cable doesn't stretch.  If in doubt, just pop off the ball/socket on the tranny arm and move it manually.

Keep in mind, a newer or tight strut bearings will squeal like a stuck pig if you spin the  propshaft dry.

pb.

Pete, partial hijack here: You may have just explained a situation that has just started occuring in my boat. I'd appreciate your comment.

I put my RLX in the water for the first time this season last Friday. Alll performed wel, but....

When I move the handle OUT of gear (from forward to neutral OR from reverse to neutral) I hear this low volume squeal from the rear of the boat that lasts for about 2 seconds. I starts out at a higher pitch.... then goes to a lower pitch. Sounds like something that is rotating fast just slows to a stop. I assume it's my prop shaft that's (in gear) and turning simply slows down and stops.... and it's my dried out stuffing box from the winter lay-over. I suppose it could also be my strut bearing... but that's under water. Could also be inside my tranny. Can't tell.

I've had the boat in the water twice, for a total of 4 hours... and it "seems" to be getting less noticeable... but that could simply be me getting used to it.

I don't recall hearing this last year.... but last year everything was new to me... so I wouldn't have picked this out.

Comments. And thanks.

Doug, you are likely correct, although it should totally disappear when the boat is in the water. If it continues, have it looked at. - You might also make sure that the stuffing box isn't cranked down hard, and the shaft is getting hot.

pb.

Doug,

That is most likely your strut bearing complaining. Does your boat stay in the water during the season? If you just put it in for the first time it may just be the bearing material inside is dried out from storage. Did it make that noise all day long? That material is slow to "rehydrate" once it dries out, you might try letting your boat just sit in the water for a bit and let the material get pliable again. If it doesn't stop it may be an indication that it is time to change the bearing.

You should be able to pop the gear cable off the tranny and make sure it's sitting dead on in the neutral position relative to the neutral safety switch. Maybe the cable just needs a bit of an adjustment.

Mine started doing that last year and it ended up that the planetary gear was staying engaged. It got progressively worse until I ended up having to replace the tranny. I hope that's not your issue.

Pete & Michael: Thanks for the advice and comments.

This was the first drop in the water this year... only in for a couple of hours.

Last summer, boat sat in the water almost all summer.... just pulled out every now and then for wipe and wax. Don't remember hearing it at all.

I'll keep an eye (ear) on it. Also, will feel the shaft to see if I'm getting a heat build up.

I hope it's just my boat trying to tell me it needs to live in the water more.

Thanks guys!

(Sorry for the hijack)