Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Crack of Dawn

Headhunter 2317

The CFO is out of town visiting her mother. I have a huge honey do list to get done before Sunday but after a week of drizzle, tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and hot at least for MOST of the day. My buddy is coming over at 6AM so we can be on the water by 7:30AM after a stop at the Waffle House. Are we just idiots? Who else gets up this early? I would be interested to hear some of the early morning rituals. We've done some early stuff before but it's tough to do with the CFO here. To me, the feeling of an getting in the water early and of cruising across glass with the fog on the water is like nothing else.

I'd skip the Awful House in favor of a nice toasted bagel and be on the water by 7am.

Wish I had folks who'd go early, I'd gladly be on the water at 6:30am...wife isn't too keen on crack o' dawn runs.

The CFO is out of town visiting her mother.  I have a huge honey do list to get done before Sunday but after a week of drizzle, tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and hot at least for MOST of the day.  My buddy is coming over at 6AM so we can be on the water by 7:30AM after a stop at the Waffle House.  Are we just idiots?  Who else gets up this early?  I would be interested to hear some of the early morning rituals.  We've done some early stuff before but it's tough to do with the CFO here.  To me, the feeling of an getting in the water early and of cruising across glass with the fog on the water is like nothing else.

7:30 am ? guess you wern't in the military, when I was a slaom skier and living in a larger metro area if you were not in line ( yes in line) to launch @ 5:45 and be on the water by 6:00 am forget it , by 7:00 the water was crap.

Of couse that was 1990 (pre first Malibu) maybe because of all the slackers on the water, I could sleep in nowdays ROFL.gif

The CFO is out of town visiting her mother.  I have a huge honey do list to get done before Sunday but after a week of drizzle, tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and hot at least for MOST of the day.  My buddy is coming over at 6AM so we can be on the water by 7:30AM after a stop at the Waffle House.  Are we just idiots?  Who else gets up this early?  I would be interested to hear some of the early morning rituals.  We've done some early stuff before but it's tough to do with the CFO here.  To me, the feeling of an getting in the water early and of cruising across glass with the fog on the water is like nothing else.

Last weekend 6:30 every morning.

Every Friday before work 5:50am...there were 4 inboards on the lake by 7:00.

In Minnesota, you just have to wait until Sunrise (which is around 5:40 right now...)

Dave

my earliest was about 1 minute after official sunrise in mid july. we had the boat running and were on the dock ready for launch when the sun peeked over the horizon. When it peeked, away I went. that was the last morning of my single life. i'm not sure if i have ever cut glass like that since. most of the time it used to be 7 am every weekend. now i ski at a private site, so we go whenever and the water is always good.

That doesn't sound too bad. This summer my dad and I are planning on going a couple of days a week in the morning before work and my work will start at 7:00 a.m.

Go early and be done so you have your day to do other things. We go at 630am on the weekdays. I have my sets in and back home working by 8am.

Weekends are at 730am done by 930am or so.

If I had people to go at 5:45am, I would be there everyday without any question.

In IL, 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset are the ski hours.

Edited by martho

Are you kidding?? I have to drive a minimun of an hour and 45 minutes to get to any fresh water. So 6 am is not that uncommon, actually it is still sleeping in compared to the work week. Although I have the SF Bay and a brackish lagoon (1/2 bay water) within 10 minutes and it almost kills me that I "can't " put the Bu in it....... :(

Last weekend 6:30 every morning.

Every Friday before work 5:50am...there were 4 inboards on the lake by 7:00.

In Minnesota, you just have to wait until Sunrise (which is around 5:40 right now...)

Dave

Dave, where do you ski in MN?

Only time I see a 7:00 am or earlier run is if Edwin is at Table Rock. We can get some glass smooth water and come back to the dock to find the respective crews just getting ready.

Around here we like ski at the crack of 'oh-dark:30'. As in IL, MI law allows you to ski 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset. We usually each have our first set in as the sun is breaking over the treetops. 'Taint no better feeling! (Well, OK, maybe there is one better... ;) )

Sunrise to sunset here in NY. We hit the water 7:30ish during the summer season. Planning on a little earlier this summer, due to a new neighbor who comes out about 20-30 minutes later. At this point, BF is over and we sit and wait for his boat to go in and the lake to settle for slalom runs. (you should see the size of his hull Yuk.gif )

Dave, where do you ski in MN?

During the week we are on Bryant Lake in Eden Prairie...I go to various places west of 494 on the weekend.

Bryant Lake is a strange place:

In the morning it is all inboard boats skiing (except for us wakeboarding Tongue.gif ) with just a few fisherman off in the shallows. Everyone waits at one end and we run a rotation.

In the afternoon it is insane Crazy.gif with Wallies and jetskis everywere. It can be down right dangerous to even think about going on that lake.

Bryant even has a rule that requires a spotter...although it is not enforced in the early AM.

Dave

Joe,

I used to do it all the time when I was up on Lanier (you had to to get perfect water). Whenever my wife would get up early, we'd do it. And I had a great neighbor who would be out with my at the first crack of sunrise, too... Those were the days. If I could just find some people crazy enough to do that with me here in Charleston, I would go in a heartbeat. By no means are you crazy Crazy.gif

On that same note, don't take their crap on the Waffle House! Anyone west of the Mississippi and north of the Mason Dixon would never understand the importance of a well rounded WaHo breakfast! Tongue.gif

JZ

On that same note, don't take their crap on the Waffle House! Anyone west of the Mississippi and north of the Mason Dixon would never understand the importance of a well rounded WaHo breakfast! Tongue.gif

JZ

MORNIN'!!!!!

I was up at 4:45am this morning to be on the water at 6am! Lazy.gif

The water was butter, so it made it somewhat worth it, and I'm sure I'll be doing it again tomorrow. Crazy.gif

a brackish lagoon (1/2 bay water) within 10 minutes and it almost kills me that I "can't " put the Bu in it.......  :(

Marina Lagoon? I thought boats could still launch there?

I have to travel 1-1/4 hrs just to look at my BU. Cry.gif

Otherewise, when we camp 7:00 - 7:30. Hit the Waffle House on the way home, if you have to :)

a brackish lagoon (1/2 bay water) within 10 minutes and it almost kills me that I "can't " put the Bu in it.......  :(

Marina Lagoon? I thought boats could still launch there?

I have to travel 1-1/4 hrs just to look at my BU. Cry.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------

Otherewise, when we camp 7:00 - 7:30. Hit the Waffle House on the way home, if you have to :)

San Mateo/ Foster City Lagoon. You can see a little of it from 92 and used to be able to see it from 101, until they build the sound walls. You can boat, ski,and ride in it, just not MY boat... It is not much different than the bay itself except usually glass.

You do get sympathy for the drive to see your baby... I'm looking out the door into the garage right now..... (fade to dream...)

Tongue.gif

There is no too early. IF you can see where your going to land its fine--and maybe even if you think you can see where your going to land.

We road last year until 1030pm behind the lights(I know it illegal etc..) and were up at 530am back behind the boat. If its glass, we must ride..

EW

We went this AM at 7. The fishermen were turning laps by 730am. This was the first time in 3 years we have had rollers from the fishing boats. Usually they like to sit in one place Crazy.gif

When we go for clean water, we are on our way by 6:30, a quick stop at the carry-out for some ice and a coffee, and off to the ramp by 7 or so.