Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu maintenence

I asked malibu about various products for maintenance and here is the email I got today:

Hi Randy, there are two things I tell the customer when they ask how to take care of your boat.

1) Wash monthly or more frequently, depending on use. Use a mild dish washing soap and lukewarm or cold water. Rinse your boat with fresh water and wipe down immediately to avoid water spots.

2 ) Wax the boat hull and deck after every three of four outing to decrease water frictions and to lessen the potential for staining or spotting the gelcoat surface. In cases where the original gelcoat shine cannot be restored by waxing, hand buff the surface using any commercial compound. Be sure to apply several coats of wax over the area that has been polished.

These are products that we use 3M Finesse - IT 2 finishing material part number 05929 3M ultra performance paste wax part number 051131

There's really nothing wrong in waxing the bottom of your boat, all this information I have been telling to our customers way before Babe's products came out. I personally haven't tried Babe's products I would just use what I'd mention above. Thanks,

Jorge Martinez

Malibu Boats

Customer Service

direct regarding maintenance:

Well that would pretty much kill the reasons to moor the boat on the water. I think I will stick to what I have been doing. It works for me.

From what I hear, dishwashing soap strips the wax. No wonder they are recommending a wax job every 3-4 outings. I'm anal about keeping my boat super clean and I wouldn't wax that often.

Dishwasheing detergent does strip the wax off. You need to use a PH balanced soap. Any good car wash soap will be PH balanced so that it does not strip the wax.

Dishwasheing detergent does strip the wax off. You need to use a PH balanced soap. Any good car wash soap will be PH balanced so that it does not strip the wax.

PH balanced...I thought that was for women's deodorant?? Biggrin.gif

I use Meguires boat wash, their RV and gelcoat polish if needed then wax. I only wax every 3-4 times out. Typically out every other weekend. I might try using dish soap before the next wax...

Hey, speaking of horses. When does Guy Coward retire? I WONDER what his parting gift will be? (when I was there a couple of years ago he told me that he hadn't owned a boat for a few years. No time..)

Edited by Faceplant409

I usually dry the boat in the parking lot, then when I bring it home I use Babes "Bright Boat" to remove any spots. I do not wash it and I haven't hard waxed it to date. I plan on it prior to my week long trip.

Joe

Okay, according to Malibu's website all 2005 boats will be provided with some Babe's products. Has anyone with a newly delivered 2005 received any of the Babe's products? I didn't get squat.

I don't wash the boat that often because I wipe it down after every use. However, whenever I do wash the boat, I wax it. I probably do it about two or three times per season. I put about 100 to 120 hours on per year and I trailer.

After each time out on the lake, I spray it down with 50/50 ratio of vinegar and water in an old windex bottle and wipe it down clean. I usually wipe down the seats and do a quick coat of 303 on the vinyl.

It's worked for me for about 6 years. My boat looks better than when I bought it. When I got it there were a few patches of oxidation on the dark green areas that get the most sun (above the rub rail). Once I rubbed those out, they've never come back.

Okay, according to Malibu's website all 2005 boats will be provided with some Babe's products.  Has anyone with a newly delivered 2005 received any of the Babe's products?  I didn't get squat.

When was your boat shipped? They were only offered after a certain ship date. Worst case you might contact Malibu as they have all of the marketting samples that Babe's churned out.

JZ

Okay, according to Malibu's website all 2005 boats will be provided with some Babe's products.  Has anyone with a newly delivered 2005 received any of the Babe's products?  I didn't get squat.

I got a babes welcome kit with mine. Delivered 5/25.

Edited by wakeace

When was your boat shipped? They were only offered after a certain ship date. Worst case you might contact Malibu as they have all of the marketting samples that Babe's churned out.

JZ

I picked up my boat on May 5. Definitely after the March 8 press release.

Edited by FijiRob

The EagleOne wax as you dry works great. We just use it every time we go out and wipe the boat down. It has taken the place of the douche mix, vinegar & water, that we were using. It seems to keep the boat much cleaner.

Edited by maliboo

Waxing every 3-4 outings would mean almost weekly for me. Even if I could come up with the time I doubt my arms and shoulders could handle the abuse. I try to wax 3-4 times per season.

I wipe down after every use. How easily the boat wipes down is a pretty good indicator as to whether it's time to wax or not.