Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VLX - Monsoon vs Hammerhead

larrys

I have to confirm an order for a VLX in the morning. The only thing I am wavering on is the motor. In the past I have had 2 Hammerheads and an 8.1 in LSVs. And, I currently have a Monsoon w/cats in my '07 VLX. The fuel mileage is great. I didn't order the '07 so I didn't have a choice. But, my need-for-speed has me considering the new Hammerhead w/cats in my '08. I am currently running at less than 400 feet. I know in the higher altitudes, the Hammerhead will be more desirable. The VLX does have more bow rise then my previous LSVs. I wonder if more power will help with this?

What do you guys think?

If you can stomach the upcharge, Hammerhead all the way. I've driven a few of each & I couldn't go to a Monsoon now. But that's just me, I have the need for speed & power.

Thanks! What altitude are you at?

Also, did you get my PM about the transom pads?

If you can stomach the upcharge, Hammerhead all the way. I've driven a few of each & I couldn't go to a Monsoon now. But that's just me, I have the need for speed & power.

Thanks! What altitude are you at?

Also, did you get my PM about the transom pads?

The lakes that they frequent are about 2-3k in elevation typically.

Yes, I'm still catching up from my long weekend. Give me a day or 2 to get my bearings & I'll figure out what I've got left.

We boat anywhere between 500' up to 5k', most often around 2500'. The direct comparisons that I have are at 500' & about 2500' (I'm always careful about noting the prop sizes when making comparisons so you can be assured that that's apples for apples), & the HH is noticeably stronger, particularly when you load it down. That's where the HH really shines IMO. Our gas usage is around 5-5.5 gph for normal use & that would be loaded down for both surfing & boarding. It starts to really get thirsty the faster you push it, but generally we see that kind of gas usage to be the norm.

Both engines will feel rather similar without ballast, the HH just requires less throttle to get the same result.

Not a problem with the Monsoon, I have had in 3 different BU's. Also resale on the HH is does not seem to warrant the upcharge, considering.

• 8 months later...

Is the need for speed & power just for driving fun, or would you notice a significant difference in watersports performance? I've got an 07 VLX with HH, but am considering an 08 VLX with Monsoon. I use all factory ballast plus an additional 800 lbs in rear and 300 lbs in bow for boarding. HH holds speed fairly well with the OJ475, could I expect the Monsoon to do the same? Would I notice any difference pulling out for footing? Thanks for your input.

For wakeboarding the Hammerhead doesn't make much of a difference. Most of the power advantage you'll see with it over the Monsoon is at the top end of the power band, which isn't where you spend a lot of time pulling riders.

A prop designed for the low end from your manufacturer of choice makes a lot more sense IMHO.

I started this thread back in 07... I decided to go with the HH and do not regret the decision one bit! I still re-proped with an ACME 1235 and man does it pull out of the hole, even when loaded factory, wedge, extra ballast and large crew. If money is an issue the Monsoon will get the job done if re-proped. I say HH all the way!!!

I started this thread back in 07... I decided to go with the HH and do not regret the decision one bit! I still re-proped with an ACME 1235 and man does it pull out of the hole, even when loaded factory, wedge, extra ballast and large crew. If money is an issue the Monsoon will get the job done if re-proped. I say HH all the way!!!

Plus1.gif Those that have not experienced the HH 383 don't know what they are missing.

Is the need for speed & power just for driving fun, or would you notice a significant difference in watersports performance? I've got an 07 VLX with HH, but am considering an 08 VLX with Monsoon. I use all factory ballast plus an additional 800 lbs in rear and 300 lbs in bow for boarding. HH holds speed fairly well with the OJ475, could I expect the Monsoon to do the same? Would I notice any difference pulling out for footing? Thanks for your input.

Yes, I think you would. With the Monsoon you have to go down farther in pitch on your prop to achieve the same results that you get with the HH & you'll be sacrificing top end to get that hole shot. I think that skicrave is right on the wakeboarding issue, but the fact that you're asking about footin' is the deal-breaker to me.

That's a good point Tracy, for operating at both ends of the power band, you're right on, the Hammerhead will offer a noticeable improvement.

waterskimag tested the VLX with the Hammerhead and it had a top speed of 46 mph and Zero to 30 mph at 5.1 seconds. I am so glad the went back to posting test data again this year.

I don't. Unfortunately Malibu sent VLX's with Hammerheads to Waterski every year. The '05 and '06 had the Hammerhead. In '07, they didn't post specs.

However the '05 Sunscape 21 LSV with the Monsoon hit 45.3 mph on Waterski Mag's test and the '08 Sunscape 21 LSV hit 44.6 mph.

Since the VLX and 21 LSV have different hulls, they really aren't comparable for top speed between the 2 engines (The extra 60 hp in the hammerhead should get about 4 more mph).

I too just noticed the footing question. I went with the Hammerhead in my VTX for the same concern. Although the Monsoon in the VTX ran 44 mph, I felt it was cutting it too close for footing. My '96 Response with Monsoon runs a solid 47 mph with no footer in tow but does loose about 2 mph with footer and as such you barely have to back off the throttle when pulling footers. I felt the 44 mph was a bit risky considering that I wanted to foot. Spend $60k on a boat and not be certain I have enough speed to easily foot?!?!?

I don't. Unfortunately Malibu sent VLX's with Hammerheads to Waterski every year. The '05 and '06 had the Hammerhead. In '07, they didn't post specs.

However the '05 Sunscape 21 LSV with the Monsoon hit 45.3 mph on Waterski Mag's test and the '08 Sunscape 21 LSV hit 44.6 mph.

Since the VLX and 21 LSV have different hulls, they really aren't comparable for top speed between the 2 engines (The extra 60 hp in the hammerhead should get about 4 more mph).

Interesting. The Diamond hull should be a bit quicker because of the additional lift, but I don't think it's going to be THAT much faster, which means the Hammerhead only nets you maybe 4 MPH on the top end. Of course as you stated, for footing, that 4MPH is a huge difference and likely means the difference between pulling two footers at once or not.

I would assume (I know I shouldn't do that) the difference to 30 is much less because the impact of drag and top end power are just starting to be realized.

Of course all of that is assuming that the Monsoon vs. HH boats are equipped with the same props, running at the same altitude....I think it's very subjective & a very difficult argument to make either way based on that. My own experience with driving VLXs under as close to identical conditions as possible is that even with a bigger prop, the HH pulls harder out of the hole & has 1-2 mph on the top end when running a similarly smaller prop. If you prop it up with a 537 or larger, it's got a bunch more on the top end. With a 381 I've seen as high as 48 on the GPS running at close to sea level, up higher on our lakes I might eek out 47 if things are just right. The best that I've ever seen on any of the Monsoons that I've driven is 43 (under ideal conditions), regardless of prop. Prop them down like a lot of people do & that top end goes down in a hurry. That's just my own experience, so take it FWIW. (And before anyone says that their VLX goes 50 plus, you better measure that on a lake that has no current with a GPS. Speedos are notoriously generous on the top end & you cannot count on it for an accurate reading at WOT. Mine reads 55+ on the top end if that tells you anything. :))

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm supposed to take the Monsoon for a spin next week, with the same prop (OJ475 I believe) as I have on my 07 HH. I was hitting 46mph pretty easily, so we'll see what it does and go from there.

I too just noticed the footing question. I went with the Hammerhead in my VTX for the same concern. Although the Monsoon in the VTX ran 44 mph, I felt it was cutting it too close for footing. My '96 Response with Monsoon runs a solid 47 mph with no footer in tow but does loose about 2 mph with footer and as such you barely have to back off the throttle when pulling footers. I felt the 44 mph was a bit risky considering that I wanted to foot. Spend $60k on a boat and not be certain I have enough speed to easily foot?!?!?

Matt what was the elevation of the lake you were on , just wondering, Im at sea level and with me the wife and two kids got 46 on the GPS.