Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Broken Throttle Cable???

This morning after a few run on the course... put boat back on lift. Came back out later this evening and can't advance throttle. Will go into gear just fine... idle only, same in reverse. Got it back on lift and throttle likage won't move by pushing lever fwd or aft. If I push the lever fwd leave it fwd and push the linkage on top of the engine it will hold that throttle position until I pull throttle lever back to idle... which does move the throttle linkage on top of engine back to idle.... i'm thinking that I have a broken throttle cable. Is this easy to replace....Do you have to replace the whole calbing with tubing... or just the internal cable to linkage?

This morning after a few run on the course... put boat back on lift. Came back out later this evening and can't advance throttle. Will go into gear just fine... idle only, same in reverse. Got it back on lift and throttle likage won't move by pushing lever fwd or aft. If I push the lever fwd leave it fwd and push the linkage on top of the engine it will hold that throttle position until I pull throttle lever back to idle... which does move the throttle linkage on top of engine back to idle.... i'm thinking that I have a broken throttle cable. Is this easy to replace....Do you have to replace the whole calbing with tubing... or just the internal cable to linkage?

yes, your cable is broken.

easy to replace. if you already have the new cable (which is the cable and jacket), then attach it to the old cable at one end - and pull the old one out by the other end.

this will "thread" the new cable through your bilge along the same route as the old one.

if you don't already have the new cable - or you want to take the old one with you to verify length... then just tie a rope to the end of the old one - and pull the old cable out the same way as described.

leaving the rope in-place to pull the new cable through the bilge when you return.

I have had this problem a few times. I am guessing that the little brass barrel sacrew on the throttle lever has broken. Is that correct? Take the throttle lever screws out and move the throttle control out of the transom so you can see how the cable connects. There should be a little brass barrel screw on the end of the cable. They shear off because of wear. I just replaced mine. It has happened to me often enough I had an extra one in my tool kit. Let me know if that was the problem.

• 7 years later...

I had this happen on my boat yesterday. It isn't the brass fitting but the end of the piece opposite of the fitting about five inches down. There is a little clamped section and what looks like is where the cable end attaches. Can you confirm this will need a full replacement or can I just fix the broken end? On the 86 skier what length did you get or I guess will pull it out and measure with the rope trick.