Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Low Oil Pressure VLX

WaveMake'nLSV

I have read all the available threads r/t to low pressure, but this is kinda weird. Was in my buddy's 2002 VLX most of the day yesterday and many times, it flashed LOW PRESSURE WARNING on the screen at like 16-17 psi. This occurred nearly every time someone dropped and I had to go pick them up. The concerning part for me was sometimes running only 26 psi or so at 22mph pulling someone. A bit of history: The boat has 340 hr on it or so, but the motor was rebuilt about 150 hr ago or so due to some sort of valve/push rod issue. It has smoked at startup EVERY TIME since rebuilt and consumes a bit of oil...1 qt. every 20 hr or so. Just seems bizarre that (a) low pressure at speed and (B) smoking and using oil now. Dealer said it was normal. Crazy.gif

In direct contrast, my 2004 LSV with 5.7 Hammerhead 380 runs between 55-75 psi constantly...sometimes 80 psi when cold. I have read the threads on this as well, and although it DOES seem a tad high, I have had the boat sine 60hr and now have 130hr on the clock and it has done it ever since I have owned the boat. At least I KNOW things are being lubricated. Thumbup.gif

Is it probable that my buds Oil Pressure Sensor is bad? I know it is possible but it is PROBABLE? Anyone had this same LP issue and had it resolved by replacing the sensor? Dontknow.gif

I have read all the available threads r/t to low pressure, but this is kinda weird. Was in my buddy's 2002 VLX most of the day yesterday and many times, it flashed LOW PRESSURE WARNING on the screen at like 16-17 psi. This occurred nearly every time someone dropped and I had to go pick them up. The concerning part for me was sometimes running only 26 psi or so at 22mph pulling someone. A bit of history: The boat has 340 hr on it or so, but the motor was rebuilt about 150 hr ago or so due to some sort of valve/push rod issue. It has smoked at startup EVERY TIME since rebuilt and consumes a bit of oil...1 qt. every 20 hr or so. Just seems bizarre that (a) low pressure at speed and (B) smoking and using oil now. Dealer said it was normal. Crazy.gif

In direct contrast, my 2004 LSV with 5.7 Hammerhead 380 runs between 55-75 psi constantly...sometimes 80 psi when cold. I have read the threads on this as well, and although it DOES seem a tad high, I have had the boat sine 60hr and now have 130hr on the clock and it has done it ever since I have owned the boat. At least I KNOW things are being lubricated. Thumbup.gif

Is it probable that my buds Oil Pressure Sensor is bad? I know it is possible but it is PROBABLE? Anyone had this same LP issue and had it resolved by replacing the sensor? Dontknow.gif

Sorry, can't help your buddy, but -- I'd be interested in a discussion on my 380 HH -- I have the same engine in my 04VLX and starting pressure is 55 -- running to 75 as well under load? No oil loss and it is not "making" oil -- could we be waiting for a problem?

Seems to be concensus'd that it is OK. Was a bit concerned at first, and seems to be most high when (a) cold engine and (B) new oil. Most of the time I would say it runs 60-70psi on my HH.

Sorry, can't help your buddy, but -- I'd be interested in a discussion on my 380 HH -- I have the same engine in my 04VLX and starting pressure is 55 -- running to 75 as well under load? No oil loss and it is not "making" oil -- could we be waiting for a problem?

I have this problem on a regular basis... He should check to see what oil he is running... I have more issues with the pressure, if I don't run the 50w - I've been known to run 10w30 before, and it causes more warning horns.

I just add a quart :) and it seems to happen less fequently.

Hows the oil level read on the dipstick and are you checking it on the water? The reason I ask is because I had a situation once when the oil was changed, they drew it out thru the dipstick as usual but didn't get even close to getting it all, when they added the new, I was 2Q's too high. It smoked on startup, and when the revs were up, the crank foamed the oil and caused the pressure to plummet. The blow by caused 2 plugs to foul. once I removed the bonus 2 quarts, everything went back to normal. Yahoo.gif

This guy is as OCD as I am and does it all by the book...and the oil level is checked on the water as well, it is right on the money.

Hows the oil level read on the dipstick and are you checking it on the water? The reason I ask is because I had a situation once when the oil was changed, they drew it out thru the dipstick as usual but didn't get even close to getting it all, when they added the new, I was 2Q's too high. It smoked on startup, and when the revs were up, the crank foamed the oil and caused the pressure to plummet. The blow by caused 2 plugs to foul. once I removed the bonus 2 quarts, everything went back to normal. Yahoo.gif
This guy is as OCD as I am and does it all by the book...and the oil level is checked on the water as well, it is right on the money.

!! years, 450 hrs, nothing has ever needed to be fixed except the trailer and she still looks and performs like the day she came home from the dealer.

OCD pays big with boats!!