Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fat Sacs

outdoors-maniac

I've just purchased two fly high 400 LBS each fat sacs to place on both sides of my engine box. These are the first fat sacs I have bought, and I'm having some problems with the width of the wake. It seems the only way I can clear the wake is to be going around 24 MPH and I just don't like going that fast the wipe outs have gotten pretty brutal, but if I don't go that fast the wake just seems to wide. Does anyone have any good suggestions of proper ballast placement for a closed bow 1987 malibu skier?

What does more weight in the front do? Would that make the wake wider or more narrow, steeper, or what? Also I have amps and speakers and what not under the bow... I could fit a small bow sac behind the speakers all the way in the front, but I have to have a friend climb up there to place the sac and I can't figure out how I would fill the sac in less I could rig some type of permanent tube to run out of the bow for filling and just leave the tube in the sac.. I know some of you have closed bows just trying to get an idea as to what to do.

again I do have 800 pounds of ballast in the middle plus people to place at various places in the boat just trying to figure out what else I can do to perfect this... I went wake boarding behind an 07 silver edition the other day and now I'm spoiled rotten!!!

Edited by outdoors-maniac

The general rule is the more weight you place forward, the narrower the wake will become since in essence lifts the stern while still placing more hull under water.

We do this all the time to give us a longer surf wave. With all the weight at the stern, the wave is tall but it shortens the sweet spot. So, we put ballast in the bow walkway and in the seats up front on whichever side we're surfing to give us more surfable area and a much larger sweet spot. The downside is you do lose some height.

Hope this helps.

Is your speed gps verified?

What is your rope length?

Is 24mph where the wake cleans up or just how fast you have to go to clear it at the rope length you are at?

Is 24mph where the wake cleans up or just how fast you have to go to clear it at the rope length you are at?

The speed is GPS certified, rope length is 65 ft including handle, and the wake will clean up at arund 19 mph and its real tall, but at that speed it seems like its as wide as the atlantic ocean.

If your filling the bags 100%, then 800# in the tail is likely too much weight in the rear....try filling them 1/2 way, slowing down to 21'ish and take the rope to 60ft. Provided FORM isn't the issue, you should clear it in no time, IMHO. Rule of thumb is 60/40 rear/front.

Hope this helps,

The speed is GPS certified, rope length is 65 ft including handle, and the wake will clean up at arund 19 mph and its real tall, but at that speed it seems like its as wide as the atlantic ocean.

Hmm, with that narrow of a boat you should have no problem with wake width unless there is something about that hull that is different. Weight in the front will make the wake a bit narrower, less steep and more solid. You might try a couple hundred pounds in front but more than likely it is technique. It's hard to say for sure without actually seeing the wake and your riding.............

Edited by Tracktor

I have an 86 skier. I too have a couple subs and amps up front as far as possible, and store my gear up there. With that said - there is no way I would add any weight to the front of the boat - it just rides way too low as it is. I do have a fat seat that I can put in the rear of the boat if there is only a couple of us going out, then have the passenger sit in front. The beam on this boat is 10 inches narrower that the Wakesetter you were referring to, so speed for speed I have to believe the VLX is actually WIDER but larger thereby making you travel farther. I think it is more of a technique issue as well, but again that is just my guess.

I have an 86 skier. I too have a couple subs and amps up front as far as possible, and store my gear up there. With that said - there is no way I would add any weight to the front of the boat - it just rides way too low as it is. I do have a fat seat that I can put in the rear of the boat if there is only a couple of us going out, then have the passenger sit in front. The beam on this boat is 10 inches narrower that the Wakesetter you were referring to, so speed for speed I have to believe the VLX is actually WIDER but larger thereby making you travel farther. I think it is more of a technique issue as well, but again that is just my guess.

I was curious if the seat worked in the back... I was thinking it was wayyy to heavy.. Do you have any other sacs for the engine compartment? How do you like your wake? I'm just trying to get the best possible wake that I can get out of my boat. And yes it might be technique as I am a beginner. I would just like to get a nice steep wake at around 21 or 22 mph.

I was curious if the seat worked in the back... I was thinking it was wayyy to heavy.. Do you have any other sacs for the engine compartment? How do you like your wake? I'm just trying to get the best possible wake that I can get out of my boat. And yes it might be technique as I am a beginner. I would just like to get a nice steep wake at around 21 or 22 mph.

IMO that seat plus 2 or 3 people in the front (including the driver of course) and it is a very good combo for me. It is a lot of weight, and you have to be very careful about your driving but it is doable. The wake has a nice transition and cleans up around 18 or 19 mph (with GPS) and 21-22 is good all the way back to about 80'. There is a large rooster tail that may or may not cause some issues with a short rope. What prop are you using? The stock OJ I took off couldn't handle this much weight very well, so now I am using an ACME 541.

Just keep working on getting the proper technique down and you will be fine with that boat for a few years at the least. I have pulled expert riders behind my boat and they have no problems pulling off almost all of their tricks. The smaller boat may actually help you since it forces you to get it right and not rely on a monster wave to get the air you need.

IMO that seat plus 2 or 3 people in the front (including the driver of course) and it is a very good combo for me. It is a lot of weight, and you have to be very careful about your driving but it is doable. The wake has a nice transition and cleans up around 18 or 19 mph (with GPS) and 21-22 is good all the way back to about 80'. There is a large rooster tail that may or may not cause some issues with a short rope. What prop are you using? The stock OJ I took off couldn't handle this much weight very well, so now I am using an ACME 541.

Just keep working on getting the proper technique down and you will be fine with that boat for a few years at the least. I have pulled expert riders behind my boat and they have no problems pulling off almost all of their tricks. The smaller boat may actually help you since it forces you to get it right and not rely on a monster wave to get the air you need.

What seat do you use in the back and what is the weight?

Going wake to wake is all technique. Your desire for a larger or 'better' wake will only make it more difficult for a beginner to make it across.

As others have said, shorten your rope, go about 21MPH and find some really calm water. It's much harder when it's choppy.

Practicing quickly going across your wake and taking the bumps with your knees - keeping your momentum going 'through' the wakes.

Get to your dealer and pick up some instructional DVD's. Once you have wake to wake down, you'll want to move on to the next level.

Good luck.

What seat do you use in the back and what is the weight?

I am using the B.I. Fly High seat. If you fill it completely, it holds about 1500 pounds.