Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Alternator replacement?

2002 Sunscape (325 Monsoon). 2 battery setup w/ perko switch (recent batteries!). The batteries are not fully charging but no problems running/starting so far. Isolating one battery (when not running) for the stereo (3 amps) runs down the battery in 20 minutes vs 2 hours previously. I'm going to Trinity Lake next week (for a week) so having the alternator rebuilt isn't going to happen. The problem is finding a new alternator. My dealer says they are no longer available. The alternator is Leece-Neville (manufactured by Prestolite). 51 amps (Sounds small but did do the job for us) Model 8MR2084K (has the 8RG2062 regulator bolted on). Anyone know where I can find the replacement (oem)? I wouln't be adverse to upgrading the output, but short of running a larger gauge wire to the starter, I don't have the time to do any other work prior to leaving. I've tried SkiDim but really couldn't get an answer as to whether their model is a direct replacement (I really don't want to "try it to see if it fits"). I would be open to another brand (Sierra? etc.) if I could be sure that it is a direct replacement for the original. Sorry if this is a little long-winded, but I figured throwing out all the info I had would give you out there the best opportunity to giving me the most meaningful advice. Thnaks for your help - Mike

I'm not too sure as to when you are leaving, but the place that I take my alternators and starters to have them done in one day Clap.gif They do them right in house. You may want to give it a try. Look for starters/alternators in the yellow pages and you may find someone that can do it within a day. Good luck and have fun on your trip!!!!!

Check the amps and voltage at the alternator and see what its putting out.

51 doesn't seem like enough to charge two batteries while running a bunch of accessories.

When I blew my Leece-Neville alternator (55AMP), I was able to replace it with a High Output alternator (70AMP) for about $170, but I can't find a link to the provider I used.. It bolted right in & didn't give me any problems what so ever over the 2 years I used it before selling the boat.