Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Propeller Rotation

footncrazy

I am at my office and need to know the rotation of my propeller on a 2002 Response (Hammerhead engine) to order a new prop. Can someone help me?

Order it from a place that can tell you based on the boat you have... apparently you're ordering from the wrong place. Do they also ask you for your drive shaft diameter, and taper?

I'm pretty sure it is RH rotation

I agreed with the comments based on the shop should know what you need.

However, I think it is a LH. All the Response boats I know are left hand. I am fairly certain 2003-2007 were anyways.

I agreed with the comments based on the shop should know what you need.

However, I think it is a LH. All the Response boats I know are left hand. I am fairly certain 2003-2007 were anyways.

I'm not sure the spec's on my hammerhead... but here are the specs on the 2002 waterski mag test boat...

It had a 375 corvette engine (not the 365 HH).

13 x 11.5

boat Specifications:

Year 2002

Length Overall (Feet) 20

Displacement 2450

Fuel Capacity 35

Load Capacity 1145

Seating Capacity 9

Acceleration to 36 MPH (seconds) 4.6 seconds; 137.2 feet

Noise at 36 MPH 88 D 93 R

Noise at Idle 57 D 62 R

Test Engine Indmar Corvette LS-1 MPI EFI 375hp

Test Prop 13 x 11.5 Acme 3-blade

Top Speed 52.1

Thank you for your time, I was ordering online from TacomaPropeller and had no cross reference to Boat type.

Again Thank you.

learn something new every day, I was not aware that a prop was specific to the direction of the rotation. How does centurion manage to change the direction of the prop rotation (so the wake for surfing can be as good whether regular or goofy) if the prop is specific to the direction of the rotation?

Pretty sure all Malibus are LH. Think Nautique is the only RH manufacturer.

edit: found the Acme application guide. Notice the R and L in the prop specs. Nautique is the only RH manufacturer mentioned. And yes, if you see a RH prop it looks different. Dont they also slide the opposite direction in reverse too?

http://acmemarine.com/html/list.html

Edited by vette-ski
learn something new every day, I was not aware that a prop was specific to the direction of the rotation. How does centurion manage to change the direction of the prop rotation (so the wake for surfing can be as good whether regular or goofy) if the prop is specific to the direction of the rotation?

You sure about that? Sure you're not confusing the sideswipe switching with prop rotation?

As for vette's question, that is correct....a nawtank sucks to the left in reverse.

Pretty sure all Malibus are LH. Think Nautique is the only RH manufacturer.

edit: found the Acme application guide. Notice the R and L in the prop specs. Nautique is the only RH manufacturer mentioned. And yes, if you see a RH prop it looks different. Dont they also slide the opposite direction in reverse too?

http://acmemarine.com/html/list.html

I believe that the LH forward prop rotation is what makes the back end walk right when in reverse because the propr is then spinning to the right.

I was not aware that Nautique was RH rotation.

I don't see how it's possible to spin the prop in reverse and still go forward. If you look at a prop, it's kind of like a screw. So, you spin one direction, it "digs" forward, an the other direction, it "digs" backward.

Maybe you're thinking of how you can switch the exhaust from one side to the other on a Centurion? That wouldn't affect the wake size, though ...

Yes, all Malibus use LH rotation, and it's the LH rotation that makes the back end walk to the right in reverse due to the greater "effective pitch" of the blades due to the shaft orientation and the resulting paddlewheel effect.

Yes, all Malibus use LH rotation, and it's the LH rotation that makes the back end walk to the right in reverse due to the greater "effective pitch" of the blades due to the shaft orientation and the resulting paddlewheel effect.

This is known as "P-torque" in the aviation world.

And CC's will "walk" to the left because their props rotate opposite ours.

Kinda funny story here. We had a group coming for the weekend and I had the prop in the shop. I went to the shop to pick it up that morning and it wasn't ready. He had a prop there he fixed for a guy and he never picked it up. He told us we could use it until ours was ready. I drove the 30 miles back home and installed the prop while the boat was hanging on our lift. Dropped it in the water to test the prop out. Put it in reverse to backout of the slip and it went FORWARD!! WTH!!! It took me a second to figure out why this was happening, then we all had a good laugh about it. Took the prop the 30 miles back and ours was there ready so we were G2G.

How does centurion manage to change the direction of the prop rotation (so the wake for surfing can be as good whether regular or goofy) if the prop is specific to the direction of the rotation?

WHAAAT??? ROFL.gif

As mentioned, Malibus are LH rotation and you need one for a 1 1/8 shaft.

How does centurion manage to change the direction of the prop rotation (so the wake for surfing can be as good whether regular or goofy) if the prop is specific to the direction of the rotation?

WHAAAT??? ROFL.gif

hey, seems odd to me too. they call it reverse rotation (their website sucks). Google found a mention of it in an article:

Centurion Boats will host the second annual Spring Break Wakesurfing Championships April 20-22 at Lake Tulloch Resort in Copperopolis, California. The event, which is sanctioned and will be judged by the AWSA, will feature riders in five divisions: juniors, womens, masters, mens skim style, and mens surf style. This will be the first wakesurfing tournament in which the top surfers will be divided based on riding style.

Two fully loaded Centurion Enzo SV240s, one regular and one with reverse rotation for goofy footers, will tow the event. Prizes from H20 Audio, Inland Surfer, Awakesurf, The Walker Project, XBC and more will be awarded to the top three surfers in each division. The event will also feature a concert and a free-ride day for attendees.

Most inboard are LH rotation. Year's ago most were RH or reverse rotation. CC are still RH. Some of the CC guys seem to think CC invented it as a way to balance out a small inboard with a starboard wheel. Reverse rotation for foofy footers is a good one. I'll have to rember that one.

Ah ... I get it now. They just switched out the prop and changed up the transmission set up so that they could run one LH and one RH. I can't imagine that would make that big of a difference in the wake size. At least not enough of a difference to make it worth the effort! I definitely notice that our regular-side wake is larger than the goofy-side wake behind my boat, and while I figured that prop rotation might have a small effect, I thought the biggest effect was from the simple fact that we can't fit as many people on the starboard side as we can on the port side.

Oh well, I guess we succeeded in taking this thread way off subject! Rockon.gif

WHAAAT??? ROFL.gif

hey, seems odd to me too. they call it reverse rotation (their website sucks). Google found a mention of it in an article:

Centurion Boats will host the second annual Spring Break Wakesurfing Championships April 20-22 at Lake Tulloch Resort in Copperopolis, California. The event, which is sanctioned and will be judged by the AWSA, will feature riders in five divisions: juniors, womens, masters, mens skim style, and mens surf style. This will be the first wakesurfing tournament in which the top surfers will be divided based on riding style.

Two fully loaded Centurion Enzo SV240s, one regular and one with reverse rotation for goofy footers, will tow the event. Prizes from H20 Audio, Inland Surfer, Awakesurf, The Walker Project, XBC and more will be awarded to the top three surfers in each division. The event will also feature a concert and a free-ride day for attendees.

I've not witnessed a wake surf competition, but I would imagine that regaular surfers have the boat turn left in a circle. Couldn't "reverse" rotation mean that, goofy's go counterclockwise?

Most inboard are LH rotation. Year's ago most were RH or reverse rotation. CC are still RH. Some of the CC guys seem to think CC invented it as a way to balance out a small inboard with a starboard wheel. Reverse rotation for foofy footers is a good one. I'll have to rember that one.

My 90 Supra pulled left in reverse, and had a 1.23 gear reduction tranny (which is probably where the reverse rotation came into play?) I'm still getting used to docking the malibu after so many years of repetition, have to break the old habits with the tail of the boat.

My 90 Supra pulled left in reverse, and had a 1.23 gear reduction tranny (which is probably where the reverse rotation came into play?) I'm still getting used to docking the malibu after so many years of repetition, have to break the old habits with the tail of the boat.

CC engines actual turn backwards or what is refered to as reverse rotation. We had a 1980 Century with a 255 Merc engine, and a 67 Barracuda with a 210 Chrysler. Both were 1:1 DD boats with reverse rotation. They turned RH props. For some reason older inboards were built that way. Now regular rotation is more common. DIM offers both kinds of engines, but the reverse rotation engines are more expensive. I don't know why CC still uses them, although if you go to planet nautique and ask, you may find that they think there is a good reason for it.

CC engines actual turn backwards or what is refered to as reverse rotation. I don't know why CC still uses them

Actually, CC hasnt used reverse rotation motors in over 10 years. Any boat with the 1.23 tranny uses a standard (LH) rotation motor to turn a RH prop since the transmission reverses the direction of rotation. Older 1:1's didnt do that, so a reverse (RH) rotation motor was necessary to use a RH prop.

The commonly accepted theory behind the use of the RH prop is to counteract the weight of the driver. The torque of a RH propellor will cause the boat to list to the port. A LH prop will cause the boat to list to starboard, accentuating (rather than offsetting) the weight of the driver. Really its only applicable when the driver is alone in the boat, but it does have merit. I know a few guys who have switched to LH drivetrains in CC's and they list noticeably to the starboard. Of course, smaller boats are more suceptible to list due to prop rotation than larger/wider ones. This is probably why some of the new CC V-drives are starting to use LH props.

Any manufacturers that used the PCM 1.23 also used RH props (Supra, etc). MC also put a bunch of reverse rotation motors/RH props in their boats in the 70's.

Edited by TRBenj
I've not witnessed a wake surf competition, but I would imagine that regaular surfers have the boat turn left in a circle. Couldn't "reverse" rotation mean that, goofy's go counterclockwise?

I suppose that might depend on your definition of 'left' and 'counterclockwise.' As opposed to my definition of this Surprised.gif which is 'right' and 'clockwise.'

Crazy.gif

CC engines actual turn backwards or what is refered to as reverse rotation. I don't know why CC still uses them

Actually, CC hasnt used reverse rotation motors in over 10 years. Any boat with the 1.23 tranny uses a standard (LH) rotation motor to turn a RH prop since the transmission reverses the direction of rotation. Older 1:1's didnt do that, so a reverse (RH) rotation motor was necessary to use a RH prop.

The commonly accepted theory behind the use of the RH prop is to counteract the weight of the driver. The torque of a RH propellor will cause the boat to list to the port. A LH prop will cause the boat to list to starboard, accentuating (rather than offsetting) the weight of the driver. Really its only applicable when the driver is alone in the boat, but it does have merit. I know a few guys who have switched to LH drivetrains in CC's and they list noticeably to the starboard. Of course, smaller boats are more suceptible to list due to prop rotation than larger/wider ones. This is probably why some of the new CC V-drives are starting to use LH props.

Any manufacturers that used the PCM 1.23 also used RH props (Supra, etc). MC also put a bunch of reverse rotation motors/RH props in their boats in the 70's.

That make sense. So was the 1.23 tranny invented to save money on engines and still be able to use RH props, or is the reduction tranny spinning a bigger prop at a slower speed a good idea. I've never driven one. I know some guys have actually switched their CC single exhaust back to duals with Malibu tips and all.