Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Another (& hopefully last) boatlift question

MalibuNation

MalibuNation

Anyone replace their existing legs with longer ones? Lift is already in the water as I launched it last weekend. Maybe I’ll be bringing it back in. The deep end still isn’t high enough with the legs fully extended and the front legs as short as possible. It’s a 2003 aluminum Shore Station, 4000lb and 120” wide. I think it weights around 500 + or -. I don’t have the canopy on yet as I don’t want to add that weight until it’s in place correctly.

Since I have a steep drop off and muck I’m going to get longer legs just for the deep end. Called my bu dealer last night and got the owner and he has 72” legs which will replace my existing legs, he things the existing ones are 36”.

My question is how am I going to get the rear of the boat lift 6’ in the air to shove in the new legs?

Tilt it on its side?

Raise the lift (cradle) as high as I can and tie a lot of ropes the lower bracket/frame/cage at the deep end of my lift, run the ropes over the cradle and try to tilt it so the deep end of the lift is high in the air? Oh, have a lot of helpers with the method. This is the direction the feet can swivel.

I’ve got two “lift bags” I attached to the boatlift to get it in place to begin with. Attach one in front and back or on each sides, take it out to the lake and put the new legs in from under water – maybe with scuba gear?

Other ideas?

Thanks - Jim

Bucket truck/crane

This is the only way I have ever done it. If you have access to one or a friend who does, it is the only way to go. Even if it costs you $100 to have someone bring one out, it is well worth the money instead of beating yourself up lifting the thing.

MalibuNation

Boy I'd have to bring it back to the public access to do this. Maybe a helicopter - just kidding. From your response, maybe go deep, maybe in 20ft of water, and shove them up using scuba gear and my 'lift bags" to float my boatlift.

Bucket truck/crane

This is the only way I have ever done it.  If you have access to one or a friend who does, it is the only way to go.  Even if it costs you $100 to have someone bring one out, it is well worth the money instead of beating yourself up lifting the thing.

Edited by jchooper

that is a possibility. I can see the legs falling out of your hand and going to the bottom of the lake. Tie something to the legs so they dont end up MIA as well as the pins and/or nuts & bolts you are using to secure the legs.

The lifts are not that heavy, they are just big and awkward. You may be able to be creative and get this done.

How much space do you have between the plate on the bottom of the short leg and the bottom? Anyway you can fill that will cement blocks or other solid objects for this year and worry about the longer legs when the lift comes out in the winter?

MalibuNation

Yeah, I've thought about some solid blocks. If I go the scuba route I might need 2 people scuba diving.

Hmmm, maybe tie some ropes around some tree limbs and lift it that way, not sure if any of my trees are stong enough and they are catalpa trees, a soft tree.

Hey, where did "ballast buddy" come from for my name????

that is a possibility.  I can see the legs falling out of your hand and going to the bottom of the lake.  Tie something to the legs so they dont end up MIA as well as the pins and/or nuts & bolts you are using to secure the legs.

The lifts are not that heavy, they are just big and awkward.  You may be able to be creative and get this done.

How much space do you have between the plate on the bottom of the short leg and the bottom?  Anyway you can fill that will cement blocks or other solid objects for this year and worry about the longer legs when the lift comes out in the winter?