Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Question to all you hardcore slalom skiers out there...

spinxt

Recently I have stepped up my slalom skiing and really been concentrating on coming out of the turn, getting on edge and pulling hard through both wakes. I am a right foot forward skier. It seems when I'm cutting from the starboard side of the boat across to port (right to left), that the spray coming off the inside edge of my ski is hitting the side of my calf muscle (on my back foot) just above my boot. It doesn't bother me while I'm skiing, but I've noticed the numbness takes longer and longer to go away the more I ski. Does anyone else experience this?

Ski more. Toughen it up. Seriously, it will go away over time.

And try tucking your left knee further behind your right knee.

or buy the spray leggin (or its called something like that), cuz then we can really hassle you. one of the guys we ski with showed up with one of those ONCE, to this day he will never live it down Tease.gifYahoo.gif

They make a guard called "Spray Leg" that goes over your lower leg to keep that from happening. You skin will callous over time and you won't have the problem. But a spray guard may help if you don't ski a lot. You can pick on up at most of the watersports retailers.

You may find that you are skiing on the tail of the ski. Try to keep your hips more forward and your lead hip pointed in your direction of desired travel. In other words get your center of gravity balanced on the ski.

If you are pulling super hard you are working too hard and I suspect skiing on the tail.

When I let my hips drag I will get a bit of spray leg...my cue to wake up.

They make a guard called "Spray Leg" that goes over your lower leg to keep that from happening. You skin will callous over time and you won't have the problem. But a spray guard may help if you don't ski a lot. You can pick on up at most of the watersports retailers.

A guy I ski with from time to time has a permanent white mark (looks like a scar) on the side of his leg from this.

That part of my calf muscle gets sore at the beginning of every season. The guy with scar tells me its from bad body positon (he should know). Like others have said, just ski more. It will get better.

I tried one once. It didn't really help. Then I bumped up the boat speed and started skiing how I was supposed to instead of riding the tail so much. Haven't had spray leg in about 4 seasons now.

Have you had anyone look at where you have your binders mounted? If you are on the tail too much, try moving both binders forward so that you are more centered on your ski. One to two notches forward will make all the difference. Mapple helped me set up my six-am and the first go was too far back which was the recommended setting. What I got from this was that sometimes the standard setting is not best. Move it forward one notch and ski for a while. Then move it a second notch and see if you start to dial it in. You may end up going back a notch. I went forward two and never went back.

Edited by Moose
Pain is your friend.

Pain is weakness leaving your body Rockon.gifRockon.gif

I have the same mark on the back of my calf too. No idea what I'm doing different. It comes and goes.

It used to make my calves and shins sore but now they'er just hairless :blush:

Pain is your friend...it lets you know yer still alive.

Edited by gooddog

Thanks for all the replys folks....there is no way I can show up with my ski buddies with that sock thing.....they'd hassle me to the end of time. Especially since I got all over my one friend's case when he showed up with palm guards to go under his gloves. Whistling.gif It's actually not painful at all, more of a numbness. At any rate, I am going to try and move my bindings forward one notch. I've been told I'm skiing on the tail too much, and no matter what I do with my hips, it's not helping.

Crazy.gif

Do some actually see the spray leg as a symptom of a problem, or a form issue?

I don't know a single slalom skier running the course that does not get spray leg early in the season. I look forward to it every year - it lets me know I've been skiing & reminds me to get back out there.

Probably running too slow and the ski is sinking deep on the carve.

Wow, I hope that's not it....we'd have to go to 38mph :lol:

Next thing you know, you're bare footin'.

Someone at our lake, not to be named, especially since he is a family member, wears one. I wouldn't be caught dead in it. I just deal with it.

Someone at our lake, not to be named, especially since he is a family member, wears one. I wouldn't be caught dead in it. I just deal with it.

Tease.gif

my brother bought one years ago and wears it rarely now.. he's older and bigger but I get a kick out of teasing him about it relentlessly, to the point that he sucks it up and deals with the pain instead of dealing with my jabs... he has a neon purple one that he turns inside out to black (but the inside seem is neon yellow!!!)

just deal with it.. I always get sore in that area at the start of the season, it just means you are either not in perfect form and/or haven't built a callus up.

"sissy sock" - I love it! just another reason for wakeboarders to make fun of us!!!!

Edited by H20ski Dude

before buying my boat, i used to mt. bike several hours a week. talk about some nasty chips, gashes and scars on the lowers legs -especially on the side of the chainrings (they're not as forgiving as water)...it makes the chain spray feel like a sensual ma-ssage

before buying my boat, i used to mt. bike several hours a week. talk about some nasty chips, gashes and scars on the lowers legs -especially on the side of the chainrings (they're not as forgiving as water)...it makes the chain spray feel like a sensual ma-ssage

Funny you say that, I dumped pretty good on my mountain bike the other day. I have a nice gash on my right calf from my big chainring......you're right....makes spray leg feel like a massage.

Yahoo.gif