Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Zero Off

Rip6@36

I skied in the Angola Record this past weekend and they used Zero Off. This was my first experience with it and I thought it was a great pull. There are three skier choices "A", "B" and "C" each setting is a bit different around the target speed. I was told that a majority of the pros skiing this control are skiing "A". Obviously, the unit was in a SN196. They had both PP and Zero Off in the boat and I think they were using the PP to verify segment times. The second set was behind a MC197 with PP. I couldn't tell any difference and ran my average for the tournament.

I love the ease of use. Set the speed and go. No crew weight, no "R" factor, no wind adjustment, no KX/PX. Just idle through the gates and set the point and do the same at the exit gates and you are good to go.

Anyone else have any experience with Zero Off yet. I'm thinking my next boat will have it if nothing else to make it easier on the rookie drivers.

Anyone else have any experience with Zero Off yet. I'm thinking my next boat will have it if nothing else to make it easier on the rookie drivers.

If you want it next year I hope you like the new SKi Nautique, they will have first dibs on it and then the year after everyone else can have it in their lines. Nautique has rights to it for the first year, they already sent it to other manufacturers to have a look at it. I hear nothing but great things about the zero off.

They had both PP and Zero Off in the boat and I think they were using the PP to verify segment times.

yep. have to use an independent 'magnetic timing device', ie PP for this year, thats the rules.

I skied in the Angola Record this past weekend and they used Zero Off. This was my first experience with it and I thought it was a great pull. There are three skier choices "A", "B" and "C" each setting is a bit different around the target speed. I was told that a majority of the pros skiing this control are skiing "A". Obviously, the unit was in a SN196. They had both PP and Zero Off in the boat and I think they were using the PP to verify segment times. The second set was behind a MC197 with PP. I couldn't tell any difference and ran my average for the tournament.

I love the ease of use. Set the speed and go. No crew weight, no "R" factor, no wind adjustment, no KX/PX. Just idle through the gates and set the point and do the same at the exit gates and you are good to go.

What do the A, B and C settings do? Is that similar to KX? Are you saying that you felt that the speed control system didn't impact your ability to score?

Thanks for the report Rip!

There will be people who know a lot more than me so please chime in... The Nautique rep was at this tournament and I spoke with him for a few minutes about it. Essentially, the A, B and C settings change the way the speed is toleranced around the set point. So "A" will allow the speed to vary say -1.5 mph/+1.2 mph. B will change those limits to -0.5/+1.8 and C something else. These are NOT the actual tolerances, I'm only using these numbers as an example. It works a bit like KX/PX in that the speed control limits the variance when pulling or releasing from the boat.

I felt like the pull was very consistent behind the Zero Off boat. I skied the MC197 with PP at Normal and Zero on the KX/PX so essentially the switch was in the off position. I'd have to ski Zero Off a few more times to say it improved my ability to score, but it in no way hurt my ability to score. I heard nothing but good things from the other skiers on their impressions of Zero Off at the event as well.

Rip

What do the A, B and C settings do? Is that similar to KX? Are you saying that you felt that the speed control system didn't impact your ability to score?

Perfect Pass is going to be marketing their GPS-based speed control. They're slower to market because they won't want to introduce it until they're sure it can be retrofitted to their existing servo mechanism, therefore usable with any boat that can use the current Perfect Pass units, not just the ones with electronic throttle control, which would limit them to only 2005 boats and newer. The rumors get fuzzy, but Perfect Pass's system is supposedly available in a hybrid version that uses both paddlewheel and GPS to provide updating that's more accurate than what you can get with GPS alone.

Perfect Pass is going to be marketing their GPS-based speed control. They're slower to market because they won't want to introduce it until they're sure it can be retrofitted to their existing servo mechanism, therefore usable with any boat that can use the current Perfect Pass units, not just the ones with electronic throttle control, which would limit them to only 2005 boats and newer. The rumors get fuzzy, but Perfect Pass's system is supposedly available in a hybrid version that uses both paddlewheel and GPS to provide updating that's more accurate than what you can get with GPS alone.

If you think the PP interface is complicated now, wait until they try adding GPS stuff. If Randy is smart he will hire someone to design a new user interface that is user friendly.

If you think the PP interface is complicated now, wait until they try adding GPS stuff. If Randy is smart he will hire someone to design a new user interface that is user friendly.

Maybe. But I find the user interface on my boat (6.5) to be quite simple to navigate. I do find 6.5n to be a little busy and haven't felt at all compelled to upgrade. Note that I refer to Wakeboard Pro, not digital pro. I have no interest in slalom skiing and find the whole thing with magnets and timers to be baffling and pointless for my use. While I don't discount the importance of slalom tournaments to the marketing of speed controls, I suspect that Wakeboard Pro is a much bigger part of the market than the number of people who have access to or interest in taking their boat with skier through an appropriately equipped slalom course.

There will be people who know a lot more than me so please chime in... The Nautique rep was at this tournament and I spoke with him for a few minutes about it. Essentially, the A, B and C settings change the way the speed is toleranced around the set point. So "A" will allow the speed to vary say -1.5 mph/+1.2 mph. B will change those limits to -0.5/+1.8 and C something else. These are NOT the actual tolerances, I'm only using these numbers as an example. It works a bit like KX/PX in that the speed control limits the variance when pulling or releasing from the boat.

I felt like the pull was very consistent behind the Zero Off boat. I skied the MC197 with PP at Normal and Zero on the KX/PX so essentially the switch was in the off position. I'd have to ski Zero Off a few more times to say it improved my ability to score, but it in no way hurt my ability to score. I heard nothing but good things from the other skiers on their impressions of Zero Off at the event as well.

Rip

Thanks for the report Rip.

How ya been skiing?

Still working on that 35 off pass. I have a couple of 94s posted. Hopefully this weekend I'll break that 96 mark! I'd like to break 100 once before the season is out.

How about you?

Rip

Thanks for the report Rip.

How ya been skiing?

Edited by Rip6@36

4@35 means that you can complete the pass and you just loose concentration somewhere in the middle. That's great skiing for your first year of tourney's! Man, I wish I would have done that well. And you want to pick up another full pass to boot? Ambitious Rockon.gif

I broke the 102 mark last weekend and hope to continue that trend. I just got some warm water settings for my fin and my Monza and I are really getting along into the 103.5- 104 mark in practice. I'm having fun now!!!!

...you just loose concentration somewhere in the middle..

It's usually between 3 and 4 that I lose concentration too. It's only 16.95 seconds, how hard can it be?! Dontknow.gif

Hey Guys,

I skied on the new version that PP is testing this past weekend and the pull is very smooth. Eric, Randy and Gary are working to make the new version much more user friendly. The release going into the ball and the load coming out was extremely smooth and even.

Again, they know what needs to be accomplished and will get there.

I can't get into much of the technical stuff because, to be truthful it is over my head!

Cheers

Reggie