Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rev Limiter

eubanks

So what does it mean exactly when you guys say that you "hit the rev limiter"? What actually happens? I hardly ever run WOT but have never noticed anything different when I have. Thanks.

At around 5250 RPMs, the engine ECM will cap you out and you hear it kind of go up and down around that RPM. You will not go any faster once you hit the rev limiter. On my boat, it happens around 43 mph with the OJ 475.

Mine hits it about 5200 rpm or so as well...2004 Hammerhead. It pretty much cuts the spark and it sounds like it begins to miss. Mine will only go around 40 mph at WOT and nearly empty. I have the midship full the other day and it would only go 38mph. But I know the boat has like a 16 pitch prop too. You want to make sure that you can hit at LEAST 5000 rpm at WOT, so if you can't...you need to down prop.

Mine hits it about 5200 rpm or so as well...2004 Hammerhead. It pretty much cuts the spark and it sounds like it begins to miss. Mine will only go around 40 mph at WOT and nearly empty. I have the midship full the other day and it would only go 38mph. But I know the boat has like a 16 pitch prop too. You want to make sure that you can hit at LEAST 5000 rpm at WOT, so if you can't...you need to down prop.

Bingo, it sounds like the engine is missing. If you drive it right & feather the throttle a little, you can keep it off of the limiter & gain a bit more.

If I can't get the engine to hit the rev limiter at WOT, then should I be going with a different prop? I have a vRide with the 320 and the stock prop (not sure what it is) and with all the tanks empty and a few people on board it will go to about 5100-5150 RPM but no rev limiter. If I fill the tanks up and have 4 or 5 people on board it will only get to about 4900 RPM. I bought an ACME 537 from the group buy a month or so ago and I'm not sure if that's the same as what I have on there stock or not??? Should I have gone with something different?

Thanks for the replies. I had just never experienced this. I'll have to pay attention next time I run WOT.

Depending on how you are propped, you may not be able to hit the rev limiter at WOT. You would either need a power adder on the motor or a prop that puts less load on the motor. I never hit the rev limiter with the 381 on my boat. Going to try out the 537 and see what happens.

Or the rev limiter will just never kick in. On our last boat I propped it down & was able to spin the engine to almost 5500 rpms with no limiter ever engaging.

jt,

Your boat probably came with the 537 on it. As far as re-propping, that's a subjective thought that the only correct answer for is "if you think so".