Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Marina went to 87 octane

ilovetrains

06 LSV with 383 stroker HH. The Marina on my local lake has always carried 91 octane, or pre-mix. Well they upgraded their rental boats to run unleaded and now only stock 87. They got new pumps and everything.

I know you are supposed to run 89 or higher in the HH.

So how bad off am I? Should I start buying octane boost?

I would recommend octane boost, otherwise, if I recall about octanes...you may get pre-ignition (knocking) and decreased perfomance. The HH is going to be a higher compression engine, IIRC, so I think it *I* would comply with the minimum octance requirements by Indmar by whatever means I needed to. You could figure that a bottle of 104 octane might treat say 30 gallons...so if you put in 1/2 bottle to 50 gallons, it might make your octane in the low 90s. Haven't done the math, but you should be able to cut the 104 boost in such a way to (a) extend the life of a bottle of it and (B) keep the octane in the low 90s.

Hope this helps,

I used 87 octane for the first 50 hours before I read the manual :blush: and saw the octane post on here. Honestly, there hasn't been any difference since I switched to 89. The motor ran just fine on 87.

I used 87 octane for the first 50 hours before I read the manual :blush: and saw the octane post on here. Honestly, there hasn't been any difference since I switched to 89. The motor ran just fine on 87.

Plus1.gif

The octane boost is not a bad idea, just make sure to use the "expensive stuff", not the cheap alcohol with a label stuff. I wouldn't worry about it too much though & I sure wouldn't go home early instead of getting the marina gas.

i don't really think it makes a difference. i have the monsoon 340 with ext/cat and i use 91 octane. i started out using 89 but theen i figured for a tad more money make sure that it runs good and go with the 91, but i do not see any difference IMHO.

i don't really think it makes a difference. i have the monsoon 340 with ext/cat and i use 91 octane. i started out using 89 but theen i figured for a tad more money make sure that it runs good and go with the 91, but i do not see any difference IMHO.

Is 87 octane okay in the 310 HP Sportster?

Is 87 octane okay in the 310 HP Sportster?

Yes.gif

Has anyone actually read any info to be sure that octane boost works as intended?

Doesn't the HH have knock sensors? I think 89 would be best, but don't think you're going to hurt anything with 87. Seriously, if it knocks, you'll hear it, and you'll know Dontknow.gif

I run 87 octane in high everything I own and have never had a problem. This includes motorcycles that I race on a road track (and twist them up high enough to be bouncing them off the rev. limiters. (because I'm a fat a**)) and the rig I tow with that has a Ford V-10 that I wind up to 4.5K rpm.

edit: I forgot to mention, I do have a boat too. And, I run 87 in that also.

Edited by Pistol Pete

A few weeks ago there was a Primetime/Dateline/60 Minutes show that had the Car Guys (those radio dudes) on and they said anything but 87 octane was a complete waste of money. Forget what the manufacturers say, its just not worth it. I still can't convince my wife to use 87 in her Lexus, but I put it in there when I fill 'er up, and she's never noticed the difference.

I have always used 87 in my Monsoon. The manual calls for 89. The previous post was correct - only if you get pinging (pre-ignition) do you need a higher octane fuel in your boat/car/cycle. Most people believe that a higher octane = more power. Not True. A higher octane fuel merely helps control the "fire front" in the fuel burn. That pinging you hear when you floor your car in the passing lane means that you do need higher octane - but very few cars really need it. If you do not hear that pinging noise, ever, then use 87. If you do, keep going up in octane rating until it stops. That pre-ignition (pinging) is VERY hard on an engine, I will hasten to add. :unsure:

Edited by Gordo

I'm glad to see that we're all in agreement that higher octane fuels are doing anybody any good unless you've got pinging problem.

My echelon with the 5.7L 350 Mag Tournament Skier EFI chokes on 87... i have to use 89 or i end up stuck in the water between skiing sets or any other time i turn off the key....it won't restart for 15-20 min and knocks around 2500rpm..... 89 octane and i never have a problem...

now as far as land vehicles.... my tow vehicle (2000 blazer) does JUST FINE with 87, however my toy car... a 2006 Saturn Redline Coupe.....i have to use 91 or higher....most gas stations have 92 or 93 around here....guess i bought into that when i boght a supercharged car that uses full synthetic oil. lol.

My '97 Echelon with Monsoon ran great with 87, as did my '99 SSLxi with Monsoon. I haven't tried less than 89 in the new Monsoon yet, but most likely will try 10 gallon of 87 soon.

My buddies RLx with the Corvette engine hates anything less than 91. You could really tell the difference with it.

If you know it is not going to be used for a while, I would put octane boost or premium in it. If you are going to fill it, and use the majority of the gas, then 87 will not hurt a thing.