Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Getting the most out of a VLX

natman29

so lately I have been dissapointed with our VLX. I've stepped my riding up behind two various tiges and I get behind the VLX and im not the same. Im not getting as much pop, not riding as consitent ect ect. I ride full ballast, no bow tank, and the wedge down (power) and about 21 mph 60 feet. I dont want to go any faster/longer because the wake will be worse. Adding extra weight right now isnt a option because Im on vacation. Oh and usually 4-5 people are in the boat.

Seriously you have to be kidding me. Try using bow ballast and no wedge, go to 70' then come back and tell us how you like it. If you're used to riding a different wake all the time of course you're going to ride differently until you get used to it. I've never seen a Tige wake that could hang with a VLX.

Throw a couple people in the bow. Full ballast, and wedge with no front ballast will likely make it back heavy and you need to have weight in the front before the wedge is effective.

Best of luck!

Seriously you have to be kidding me. Try using bow ballast and no wedge, go to 70' then come back and tell us how you like it. If you're used to riding a different wake all the time of course you're going to ride differently until you get used to it. I've never seen a Tige wake that could hang with a VLX.

I promise you the wake is not worse at longer rope lengths, in fact is better. All VLX's, IMHO require bow, center weight. As mentioned eariler throw a couple people out in front. I suck as a rider and can clear with plenty of room to spare at 70'. Also, if you have a power wedge, try adjusting it up a few clicks, this will add some lip or launch to the ramp.

i always ride with full ballast including front, and wedge at 1200 lbs. and i ride at 22 mph at 70ft and it is really nice wake.

I agree w/the bow weight. I can't give my VLX enough. The more you put in the longer rope you can ride, also the wake will be much more solid.

What they said.Biggrin.gif Just out of curiosity, why don't you use the bow ballast? With 4-5 people in the back, plus no bow ballast, it must point straight in the air when you ride. No wonder your wake is bad. Try the above suggestions and I think you'll be quite pleased. BTW, I ride 21mph @ 60' and my wake is clean and big with a small lip and a nice transition. I'm going to be moving back soon, but it's great right now.

Commented once already, but got something else to say Tongue.gif

On my LSV, I always start with just bow and midship and then maybe add the wedge. Rear ballast empty. You REALLY have to get the bow weighted in order to see any difference in the wedge and in some cases, maybe yours...I bet the wake would improve without the wedge. Only when I have SKILLED riders trying to do Tantrums, Roll to Reverts, Railies, etc...do I put rear ballast in.

Hope this helps...I promise that VLX will spank the Supra. Have heard from several people that weighted Supra's tend to throw really abrupt, sharp wakes and the transition isn't as good as our Bu's. But I am sure we are a "tad" biased. ROFL.gif

On my LSV, I always start with just bow and midship and then maybe add the wedge. Rear ballast empty. You REALLY have to get the bow weighted in order to see any difference in the wedge and in some cases, maybe yours...I bet the wake would improve without the wedge. Only when I have SKILLED riders trying to do Tantrums, Roll to Reverts, Railies, etc...do I put rear ballast in.

Hope this helps...I promise that VLX will spank the Supra. Have heard from several people that weighted Supra's tend to throw really abrupt, sharp wakes and the transition isn't as good as our Bu's. But I am sure we are a "tad" biased. ROFL.gif

Not to take away from your comments at all, but he said Tige's. :)

Putting it bluntly, working on technique will get you farther than any of the ballast will. I agree with the comments regarding the bow weight, but a good rider can ride & do well on anything. I used to know a guy that could do inverts off of a Barefoot Sanger's wake & if you know anything about boats then you'll know that that's about as small as wakes get.

Putting it bluntly, working on technique will get you farther than any of the ballast will. I agree with the comments regarding the bow weight, but a good rider can ride & do well on anything. I used to know a guy that could do inverts off of a Barefoot Sanger's wake & if you know anything about boats then you'll know that that's about as small as wakes get.

Very well said. In fact I've seen pro riders do back flips in the flats, so obviously ballast or extra weight is relevant to do anything special off the wake.

I ride 75' sometimes 80' @ 22 mph with only the center and rears (dont have bow), no wedge, and only 3-4 people in the boat and the wake is great. Recently we started adding weight to the front to reduce the bow rise (integrated bow sac) and firm it up a bit.

I totally agree on how sharp the Supra wake is, a buddy bought an 07' 20SSV and is major disappointed with it he can't believe the surf wave i can throw with my old girl(96'Sunsetter VLX) Rockon.gif

so lately I have been dissapointed with our VLX. I've stepped my riding up behind two various tiges and I get behind the VLX and im not the same. Im not getting as much pop, not riding as consitent ect ect. I ride full ballast, no bow tank, and the wedge down (power) and about 21 mph 60 feet. I dont want to go any faster/longer because the wake will be worse. Adding extra weight right now isnt a option because Im on vacation. Oh and usually 4-5 people are in the boat.

What aspects of the wake behind the Tige's did you like better? Was it bigger, steeper/rampier, firmer? Did you check speeds with a GPS? I think there is a distinct possibility that the Tige's speeds were different from your vlx. Were you using the same rope on the VLX or are you just taking their word that it was a 60 foot rope?

I used to know a guy that could do inverts off of a Barefoot Sanger's wake & if you know anything about boats then you'll know that that's about as small as wakes get.

Actually, there's a guy on our lake with one of those and it's about the most harsh wake I've ever seen behind a direct drive. Seriously. My friend's old Maristar V drive has a better slalom wake. However, I know guys who can do backrolls in the flats on a short board (trick ski) so I'd agree that it's not the ballast that's the problem.

OK well, we dont have bow ballast in the boat, never got it as an option because the dealer told us it wouldnt make a difference. The tige wakes were bigger/firmer and had a slight bit more lip. My riding is decent, I have backrolls, tantrums, 1's almost 3's, ect ect. My progressie edging was really good behind the tige, and so i stepped behind our vlx and was barely getting pop. Maybe I have to take time to get used to it. I like the idea of bow weight, so I'll try it out.

I'll be polite... You my need to change your approach/style to the wake a little. The VLX wake is very nice and forgiving depending on speed and ballast configuration.

I used to know a guy that could do inverts off of a Barefoot Sanger's wake & if you know anything about boats then you'll know that that's about as small as wakes get.

Actually, there's a guy on our lake with one of those and it's about the most harsh wake I've ever seen behind a direct drive. Seriously. My friend's old Maristar V drive has a better slalom wake. However, I know guys who can do backrolls in the flats on a short board (trick ski) so I'd agree that it's not the ballast that's the problem.

A friend of mine used to throw inverts behind our Polars 3 seater. He could also cut out in the flats and flip Crazy.gif I can't even do a flip on a trampoline :lol:

You cannot be serious. I find the Tige's wakes to be the exact opposite of what you describe. They are wide, washy, and have no lip. You should be at 70 ft and 22 mph depending on weight.

Check your speedo with a GPS. Mine was off by 3MPH and after calibration it made a lot more sense. Try 60' to 70' at 22MPH and you should be golden.

IMHO bow weight and center weight is what gives "meat" to the wake. It doesnt matter how big the wake is if you punch right through it. I would put everyone up front and/or midship and re-try it.

I would also suggest upping your speed and line length. We usually ride 80ft-85ft back around 24mph. The speed will make the wake harder and the line length will give you a softer landing, better wake, etc. rather than in short. I also agree the wake is better farther back.

You cannot be serious. I find the Tige's wakes to be the exact opposite of what you describe. They are wide, washy, and have no lip. You should be at 70 ft and 22 mph depending on weight.

I agree, I've rode behind the Tige pickle fork just two weeks ago in competition and hated it. Washy, and wide at 75' @ 22 it was horrible and was okay at 65' but still never real clean. No offense but if you have the bag of tricks you say you have, strectch out the rope, speed up the boat and GO BIG!!. I ride 80' @ 22 behind my 06 VLX and it is SWEEEET. This kinda reminds me of the boat poll questionaire of last year. Whistling.gif

i rode behind an rz2 and loved the wake. Big and not just lip. I just dont find alot of lip in the VLX.

1's 3's tantrums backrolls??? and you are even making the statement "I can't get use to the wake." I am going to do my best to say it nice BUT I CALL BS! If you consistantly stick those inverts and spins you would never be making a statement like that...My suggestion would be to sell your BU and buy a Tige then... Thumbup.gif

Edited by jessem