Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Throttle noise

Our new 2005 LSV throttle level has been squeaking a fair amount when putting it into gear and also when moving the throttle forward to accelerate.

It looks to be greased well but maybe it needs so more? What is the best way to take it apart and what should we be putting on the throttle?

Try spraying some silicone lubricant where the throttle lever attatches to the throttle housing. Mine was sqweaking when I first got my boat and the silicone took care of it.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggetions. I called the dealer and he said to try and get some WD40 in there. I thought I would have to take the throttle level loose, but when you move it in gear, a little hole opens up on the top that you spray down into. A little WD down in there and problem fixed...at least for now! Yahoo.gif

Thanks for the suggetions.  I called the dealer and he said to try and get some WD40 in there.  I thought I would have to take the throttle level loose, but when you move it in gear, a little hole opens up on the top that you spray down into.  A little WD down in there and problem fixed...at least for now!  Yahoo.gif

WD40 is wonderful for fixing squeeks, but it is a solvent, not a lubricant. A solvent will accelerate oxidation and only helps the noise temporarily. Once the oxidation starts, your throttle is likely to get stiff or unpredictable. A silicone based or oil based lubricant will be better. I keep an old-school oil can around with 5w30 for these things.

If you want a proof statement of how this works, spray a metal shovel head with WD40 and leave it in the garage for 2 or 3 days. It will be rusty. The same treatment with silicone or oil will prohibit the oxidation.

Our new 2005 LSV throttle level has been squeaking a fair amount when putting it into gear and also when moving the throttle forward to accelerate.

It looks to be greased well but maybe it needs so more?  What is the best way to take it apart and what should we be putting on the throttle?

To get the throttle lever off is fairly easy, it is just bolted on.

Peel of the "Morse-branded" plastic cap with a knife or a small screwdriver.

Inside the lever you'll see a hex-bolt that holds the lever.

Take it off and you can clean it and apply whatever you want.

I'd suggest vaseline. Biggrin.gif

Have fun!