Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gorrilla Fin ripped off today!

Here is an update.

Got the boat back from the dealer today. The service department showed me the pics. Turned out that when they removed the only remaining gorrilla fin to repair the one that got ripped off a huge section of gelcoat came off exposing the fiberglass. Turns out there was a large air pocket above the gorrilla fins, dealer thought this was the cause of the fin to rip off. The whole area got removed and re-sprayed. They said the area's strength was compromised do to the airpocket, everything was totally warrantied by Malibu. It's all good now can't wait to hit the water again.

Here is an update.

Got the boat back from the dealer today. The service department showed me the pics. Turned out that when they removed the only remaining gorrilla fin to repair the one that got ripped off a huge section of gelcoat came off exposing the fiberglass. Turns out there was a large air pocket above the gorrilla fins, dealer thought this was the cause of the fin to rip off. The whole area got removed and re-sprayed. They said the area's strength was compromised do to the airpocket, everything was totally warrantied by Malibu. It's all good now can't wait to hit the water again.

Good to hear. Hopefully yours was just 'one of those things'.

Also hopefully the weather will improve so that you can hit the water again.

Here is an update.

I guess you're glad to hear there was a "flaw" and not just a random thing. That explanation makes me feel better.

Edited by superjet
My boat 05 vlx is flooded. I just had alot of water inside my boat (1.5 feet inside rear lockers) (8" behind observers seat storage area). I had used the boat about 12 hours prior with no problems. All 6 of my batterys were completely under water so the amps were actually on (I guess from the current flowing through the water). I now have water in my engine, water in the v-drive, 3 of my brand new JL amps are fried and my JL W7 sub is toast. I have NO idea how this happened. I finally got the boat out on the trailer and see no visible cracks or missing fins? I don't know what to do. Either put a claim in with my insurance or start by replacing all fluids and bring into the dealer?

Will this effect resale after bringing it to the dealer? I was planning on trading the boat in next year.

Wow, that sux!

I would go ahead and file a claim. It will end up at the dealer anyway. I don't think the insurance company reports it, but your dealer will have a record obviously......

Besides, this is a boat and things happen..... its not like you would be selling a car that was flooded out or something. Keep us updated on what failed.

Here is an update.

Glad to hear Malibu stepped up and warrantied it. Hopefully, you will never have a problem with that again.

Here is an update.

Glad to hear Malibu stepped up and warrantied it. Hopefully, you will never have a problem with that again.

Malibu was great about it, as well as the dealer. There was no muss and no fuss whatsoever which is nice when dealing with warranty stuff. I couldn't believe the pics they were nasty.

Here is an update.

Malibu was great about it, as well as the dealer. There was no muss and no fuss whatsoever which is nice when dealing with warranty stuff. I couldn't believe the pics they were nasty.

Please post the pics if you can. I think most of us out here would be very interested in them.

Sounds like yours might not have been from an impact, but logs etc are not the only thing that can happen. We were rolling along when thump, under the boat and then hard vibes. Shut it down, not leaking, get goggles and go for a dive. One blade of prop is bent over bad. No marks anywhere.

Come back, can't figure it out, then the wife sees it. A huge grass carp, easily 3 ft cut neatly in half floating a good 30 ft away. Cost me a prop on our 2 or 3rd time out on the new boat. could not believe it.

Holy carp!!!! :Doh:

Back to the OP.....That makes sense. If the hull was not defective it would almost have to take a hit on something to rip out a fin. Glad to hear your dealer is taking care of you!!!