Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Agriculture stations boat check

NvBoarder

Today in the Reno newspaper they where talking about the new agriculture station that is opening on I-80 and that California will be stopping all Veichles with boats and jetskis to check for quagga and zebra mussels. Now I am happy to hear that they are trying to do something about this problem but stopping acouple boaters a day that might travel on a main road past the station isn't going to work and is a waste of time. Mad.gif

My biggest complaint is that the two hour trip to bullards or the three hour trip to Oroville will now take longer god nows what they will want me to do. Looking at it I can handle as I drive by real slow but if I have to stop uncover the boat wait 20 minutes for some $5.00 an hour flusy to crawl all over my boat I won't put up with.

Just thought I would let the crew know about this so they wouldn't be stunned when they had to pull over at an agriculture station. I havn't found out how much fun this is going to be yet but I will Saturday so I will keep everyone informed as I find out more.

Original Article

http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?...90345/1047/NEWS

That's sucks in a way but how would you suggest the inpection take place to take minimal amount of time?

Dontknow.gif Where are they coming from? Why not stop boaters at that lake and check their stuff before they leave.

I say let them knock themselves out. That's one less thing I gotta check now. We all got letters from the CA dept. of boating and waterways asking us to check our hulls.

That's sucks in a way but how would you suggest the inpection take place to take minimal amount of time?

Dontknow.gif Where are they coming from? Why not stop boaters at that lake and check their stuff before they leave.

If I came from an out of state lake then whom would check it? You'd have to rely on other states to do it when they may not have anything setup to deal w/ it. Most of the contamination isn't from within rather from lakes outside the state. I think if they have a line(s) just for boaters would be better than trying to mix in w/ regular autos.

I say let them knock themselves out. That's one less thing I gotta check now. We all got letters from the CA dept. of boating and waterways asking us to check our hulls.

My friend got a letter from CA stating that he had an 'i' in his registration numbers and they didn't like that any longer. Thought it too hard to read. So they issued him a new set of numbers. This friend of mine purchased Domed Numbers so to meet the regulation he'll have to strip his numbers and buy new ones. That blows!

Yeah I'm not sure what the answer is just fustrated and wanted to vent. I clean my boat everytime when I get home and don't have anything on the hull of the boat but with that said I'm not sure what I am looking even looking for. Whos to say there not in the ballast tanks? How big are they?

My friend got a letter from CA stating that he had an 'i' in his registration numbers and they didn't like that any longer. Thought it too hard to read. So they issued him a new set of numbers. This friend of mine purchased Domed Numbers so to meet the regulation he'll have to strip his numbers and buy new ones. That blows!

What's this got to do with agriculture checks Dontknow.gif:lol:

Edited by stewart

Dontknow.gif What's this got to do with agriculture check :lol:

Nothing. :) Pete was just griping about CA and it made me think about it.

Dontknow.gif What's this got to do with agriculture check :lol:

Nothing. :) Pete was just griping about CA and it made me think about it.

Oh. But wait, Pete's boat never leaves his house...... so I doubt he will ever have to worry about zebra mussels ROFL.gif

I wonder if they could develop a test to determine, such as the strips you use to test a spa or swimming pool. If they find you are carrying them then what? if there a way to eradicate them bleach, fire, corona...?

I wonder if they could develop a test to determine, such as the strips you use to test a spa or swimming pool. If they find you are carrying them then what? if there a way to eradicate them bleach, fire, corona...?

Public Asked to Help Halt Spread of Quagga Mussel

DFG Opens Toll-Free Information Line (866) 440-9530

Contact(s):

Troy Swauger, DFG Office of Communications, (916) 654-2096

SACRAMENTO - The invasive Quagga mussel has been discovered in California and the public is being asked to help prevent its spread. A public toll-free number, 1-866-440-9530, has been established for boaters and anyone involved with activities on lakes and rivers seeking information on the invasive and destructive Quagga mussels. The toll-free number is available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.

"With the discovery of the Quagga mussel in California last month, we are taking the necessary steps statewide to prevent their spread here," said Secretary for Resources Mike Chrisman. "It is critical that we enlist the public's help. Once the Quagga are established in a waterway, they will have significant environmental, recreational and economic impacts."

Although they range from microscopic to the size of a fingernail, they are prolific and attach themselves to any hard surface. In the Great Lakes area, Quagga mussels have covered everything from boat engines and steering equipment to water transport facilities. They also wreak havoc with the environment, disrupting the natural food chain and releasing toxins that affect other species. Spread of the Quagga could result in millions of dollars in damage to water transport facilities.

Boats are the primary transporters of Quagga mussels. All boaters and anyone connected to freshwater aquatic environments should take the following steps to inhibit the spread of the Quagga mussel:

* Thoroughly wash the hull of each watercraft once it is out of the water, removing all plants and animal material.

* Drain any water through the vessel's hull plug, and ensure the area is dry.

* Ensure the vessel's lower outboard unit is drained and dry.

* Clean and dry any live-well aboard the vessel.

* Empty and dry any buckets.

* Any vessel traveling from Lake Mead or the Colorado River should remain dry and out of water for five days.

* Dispose of all bait in the trash.

A multi-agency taskforce has responded with surface and underwater inspectors to determine the extent of the Quagga threat. Quagga mussels were found in and near Lake Havasu and the multi-agency response team has increased monitoring and inspection locations. For more information on the Quagga mussel response, visit the DFG Web site at http://www.dfg.ca.gov/quaggamussel/

post-28-1184184398_thumb.jpg

Edited by stewart

If it's anything like the Ag check on HW 50, it will be closed most of the time and when someone does go through it, the "I don't give a crap" person working in there will just do a quick visual without you even needing to stop the vehicle. Our tax dollars at work. I'm guessing that some politicians' cousins work in these things and probably get paid six figures to do so.

That doesn't address how to get rid of them w/o getting it completely dry. The ballast tank/bags won't get dry nor will the water in the engine. So this concept of dring isn't totally affective, granted it's better than nothing. How do they know if you're vessle is infected is there a simple test? How do you clean it up other than dryinh it out? Cleaning is all fine and dandy but say I'm coming from the Colorado and then want to hit Shasta on my way home?

They did this sort of check the first weekend I took my boat out about 3 weeks ago. Had about 5 guys there handing out pamphlets and doing a quick look over of the boat. I thought it was a sherrif check and was dang glad I went out and bought my throwable floatation device just 2 hours earlier! Fingerwag.gif

They say these muscles can live up to 30 days out of the water. Also, if they happen to make it up the Columbia to the damn, it has a possiblity of shutting them down by plugging up the screens to the turbines. I've heard they are really bad on the Mississippi.

Edited by Helinut
If it's anything like the Ag check on HW 50, it will be closed most of the time and when someone does go through it, the "I don't give a crap" person working in there will just do a quick visual without you even needing to stop the vehicle. Our tax dollars at work. I'm guessing that some politicians' cousins work in these things and probably get paid six figures to do so.

Oh I agree the old station on I-80 was worse than that they had a sign that said have a nice day. I remember blowing thru it once doing 50 pulling the boat, a total joke. But now that they spent $22 million on a new station I'm sure they will man it for acouple months. Didn't Arnold stop all the inspections because it was a waste of taxpayers money last year?

They use a razor knife on soft ballast tanks. But don't be distressed you will be given duct tape to close up .The check station are manned by slalom skiers. Crazy.gif

But all bull aside my lake has zebra mussels along with three or so other evasive species and its not good. It can change your lakes in a couple of years. :(:(:(

It's really not that big of a deal. They've been stopping boaters in and around the Lake Havasu / Colorado River area since April. It's a two second interview. "Where were you boating? How long has it been out of water?" They hand you the flyer that Stewart posted and you're on your way. Personally, I can't figure out how that's stopping the spread of mussels but there you have it. Incidently, it didn't matter if I had declared my boat out of water for one day or one hour. It was the same process and I was on my way in seconds.

It's really not that big of a deal. They've been stopping boaters in and around the Lake Havasu / Colorado River area since April. It's a two second interview. "Where were you boating? How long has it been out of water?" They hand you the flyer that Stewart posted and you're on your way. Personally, I can't figure out how that's stopping the spread of mussels but there you have it. Incidently, it didn't matter if I had declared my boat out of water for one day or one hour. It was the same process and I was on my way in seconds.

Returning from Havasu back in April I got the same questions and information flyer. Then the inspector ran his hand along the underside of the hull, and walked to the back of the boat. He returned and asked if the boat had any other drain plugs besides the one in the rear and if I had removed them as well. I said I had and we were on our way.

In my opinion, the state knows there is little they can do to stop the spread of those mussels to CA lakes, other than making boaters aware.

We had the same treatment coming back from Parker. We were on our way in less than 30 seconds.

That doesn't address how to get rid of them w/o getting it completely dry. The ballast tank/bags won't get dry nor will the water in the engine. So this concept of dring isn't totally affective, granted it's better than nothing. How do they know if you're vessle is infected is there a simple test? How do you clean it up other than dryinh it out? Cleaning is all fine and dandy but say I'm coming from the Colorado and then want to hit Shasta on my way home?

Headed to Shasta from Colorado this summer. Guess we'll just plan for another few poker hands while waiting at the AG station. I'll bring along a couple of Red bulls for the inspector to see if we can this done before his/ her lethargy leads to another day on the calendar passing while getting the inspection completed. If we paid them more money would the inspectors lethargy and apathy go away. If so how much do we need to pay?