Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Speed Control

I have a 2001 Sunsetter DD. I bought in 2005. It has never had Accuski, PP, etc. I noticed under the dash there is an input for Accuski. After searching this website it appears that Accuski no longer exists. So my question is: What type of speed control will work? Are any compatible with existing input or does it require a completely new install? Per commnets on prior threads, I noticed that some new speed controls won't work with older boats...is that right?

I emailed Jon @ waterski america and am waiting his counsel, but was getting impatient.

Thanks for your help.

The MMDC under the dash is capable of accepting "add-on" modules for GPS, speed control, etc. Unfortunately those are no longer available (you can read previous posts on the pros and cons of the Accuski system).

Basically, if you want a system right now, go with Perfect Pass. If you want to wait for a while you can check out Zero Off. Both will provide good pulls, and Perfect Pass is a proven system that performs very well.

I installed Perfect Pass in a '01 Sunsetter LXI back a few years ago. It was about a 2 hr job and very easy. The system worked flawlessly the whole time I had the boat. There was a DIY guide that Skicrave posted on the old site that was helpful and the instructions that came with the PP were also very good. I'm not sure if the guide is still available online or not.

Hey it is still there. Perfect Pass Install Guide.

The pictures don't show up on my computer unless you click on them. The article was posted in '02 so there might have been a few changes to the linkages or displays since.

I installed Perfect Pass in a '01 Sunsetter LXI back a few years ago. It was about a 2 hr job and very easy. The system worked flawlessly the whole time I had the boat. There was a DIY guide that Skicrave posted on the old site that was helpful and the instructions that came with the PP were also very good. I'm not sure if the guide is still available online or not.

Hey it is still there. Perfect Pass Install Guide.

The pictures don't show up on my computer unless you click on them. The article was posted in '02 so there might have been a few changes to the linkages or displays since.

Thanks Ronnie!!

Did your Sunsetter have the digital or analog gauges? Mine has the digital...i would hate to give up my only analog speedometer. I was hoping there was someway to use the existing digital read-out...I guess not.

BTW - it does not tell you how many beers to drink before you start drilling thru the hull of the boat. Whistling.gif Man, I am going to be sweating bullets if I do that.

Basically, if you want a system right now, go with Perfect Pass. If you want to wait for a while you can check out Zero Off. Both will provide good pulls, and Perfect Pass is a proven system that performs very well.

Why would you have to wait for Zero Off?

Because avilability is unknown, and theres not a system at all yet for non-DBW boats.

I saw that in the other thread...what is DBW?

I heard that Zero Off only worked on newer boats with DBW (or Throttle By Wire) but I didn't find anything on their website that confirmed that.

You can always order a smaller guage 3.5" an install it below the ignition key where the Sony Remote goes on newer boats. That way you don't loose any of your current guages. That's what I plan on doing. If you can wait a few more months to let the battle between Perfect Pass and Zero Off heat up a bit, you may find that Perfect Pass will step up with a GPS enabled version before Zero Off builds the retro-fit kits for Non-TBW engines. That's the word on the street for the fall. THe Zero-off interface to the boat is a replacement for the E-Controls ECM (Engine Control Module) and I've heard that they don't have a working Malibu ECU unit yet - at least as of a few weeks ago. They do have units for CC (E-Controls is standard) & MC as a user installed option.

Edit: add last 2 sentences

Edited by weinrdog
You can always order a smaller guage 3.5" an install it below the ignition key where the Sony Remote goes on newer boats. That way you don't loose any of your current guages. That's what I plan on doing. If you can wait a few more months to let the battle between Perfect Pass and Zero Off heat up a bit, you may find that Perfect Pass will step up with a GPS enabled version before Zero Off builds the retro-fit kits for Non-TBW engines. That's the word on the street for the fall. THe Zero-off interface to the boat is a replacement for the E-Controls ECM (Engine Control Module) and I've heard that they don't have a working Malibu ECU unit yet - at least as of a few weeks ago. They do have units for CC (E-Controls is standard) & MC as a user installed option.

Edit: add last 2 sentences

That is good info. Please post pics of your install when you finish. It looks like we have the same boat.

I am thinking this might be a winter project. With out third child being born this spring, we won't be out as much this year. So as long as it is installed by next spring.

Thanks - I will take/post pictures. I got the idea from one of the guys at the MI Ski Clinic this spring (SkiSlut I think). Want to give credit where it's due. I think he installed a 5.5" guage in that location. Looks like the only difference between the 3.5" and 5.5" guages is the amount of filler space around the LCD screen (and the fact I don't think I can get one that says Malibu in 3.5" - but I haven't asked yet).

• 2 months later...
So what did you get in the way of speed control?

i don't have speed control yet. I am waiting on the Zero Off Retrofit...according to their website the last time I checked (about 2 weeks ago), they still did not have one. i am hoping it will be out soon; it would be a good winter project.

Has anybody heard anything from the rumor mill about Zero Off's package for older Indmar engines?