Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

BI Boom for Response LXi

mlange

This is just an FYI for people that was more fitting to be posted in this forum rather than within the for-sale thread that already existed.

My problem is that I have an RLXi (ok, that's not really a problem). The real problem is that the BI boom for the RLXi, which is the Quad Contour boom, is machined to only come off the passenger side and I am dead set on having it come off the driver's side. For those of you that have a Universal Contour boom and have it machined to work both ways and are thinking... "why can't you just do the same thing with the Quad Contour boom?" I was thinking the same thing when I bought it. It turns out, though, that the machining and curve is done so that it is not completely symetrical like the Universal Contour boom.

BI will, however, custom bend a boom for you for an additional $100. They do all their bends in batch, though, so it all depends on when they are doing their next production run as to how long it will take. In my case, I'm stuck waiting 3-4 weeks.

Beman also makes a boom that is suposed to work off the driver's side as well as, I believe, ECI. I'm not a big fan of the way the ECI boom clamp works, so I'm staying away from that one. The Beman boom is available from Ron Scarpa's, but it's too pricey in my opinion. I'm sure it's available at other places, but I frankly couldn't find it after Googling for a bit.

Hope this keeps someone from making the same mistake I did.

Mike

You live in the area. Just walk into their facility with cash and tell them what you want. That's how my friend got his boom for a price I can't post on here... That's how I'm planning on getting a V drive boom in the next week or so. :)

That's basically what I'm doing, but they needed a deposit up front to commit to the work. I just wanted to let others know how they could go about it, too.

When it's done I'm just going to run in there and trade-in the curved section of my boom.

Interesting to walk in to that building and see Mike working hard behind a desk.

Mike

Just out of curiosity, what is so wrong with the ECI clamp? I've had 2 Agressor booms with lots of use and some pretty big boys too with NO problems. Very easy to set up/ take down and adjust for small ones/ tall ones. Are there safety issues? What's up?

You might check out the ECI boom to see if it will work in the BI clamp. I've never looked at one up close, but was once told (not a real reputable source) that the ECI would fit in the BI clamp.

Assuming the ECI mounting clamp is installed properly, there is no way it could ever release. Maybe some FUD (fear, uncertainly, and doubt) being spread by the BI guys?

I got my ECI from Peter at SWS...he's a hard core footer who can sell anything he wants. His seal of approval was good enough for me. And, best of all, he gets them undrilled and drills the boom for what ever side of the boat you want to hang it. Mine's on the driver's side, works great.

Sounds like I misunderstood the posts I read then.

Besides - gotta support the local company - BI.

So, Edwin, you coming up here for the Open?

Nothing wrong w. supporting the locals...would do the same if I didn't mind the clamp hanging there on the pylon.

Still TBD on the Open. I'd like to make the trip on up, don't know if the wife and kids are as excited to go as I am.

FWIW, this is my third season with a Skyjac boom. I sympathize with you about the driver's side, it's the only way mine has ever been mounted. Don't know about the ECI clamp, but the Skyjac clamp is tough. I'm 6'4", 235lb and have never had trouble with it. We pull footers front, back, and one foots both ways with no issue.

Once you guys pull from the driver's side, it's the only way you'll want to go.

I got my boom from an MBO member named Trace. Don't know if he still deals in them or not.

Support the locals if you want, but the BI boom is way too heavy and the clamp...well, they call that a clamp? And the height adjuster is an option? Oh yeah, that club looks good... The only reason in my book to buy a BI is for a V-drive. (Quad-V boom)

The ECI clamp is just fine - and it is the same as the Skyjack. Proper use (or reading of the instructions) might have been an issue, for I've never had an issue with it.

We also sell the Bemman booms. The RLXi not only needs a 14" contour, but it really should have an extension on it. The spray really comes out the side to keep it away from a slalom skier, but it can get in the way of using a boom.

The Bemman is a lighter boom and easier to mount and dismount on the boat - something that made it my choice for using with the ski school where it went on and off all day long by myself. It has a 4 hole adjustable clamp, which is fine, but I do like the infinite adjustability of the ECI clamp.

Booms are like boats, everyone has their personal choice. At the moment mine it Bemman. I can't stand BI and the ECI is too hard to get. Skyjack might be an option, but I haven't used one.

Peter.