Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How Often Do you Get On the Water?

meb885

Boat Usage  

185 members have voted

1. 1. How Often Do you Get Out On the Lake With Your Boat?

• Once a Week
    • 2-3 Times a Week
    • 4-5 Times a Week
    • 6-7 Times a Week
    • Dude, i have a 247, i Live on the water!
    • I Go When My Dad Gives me the Boat Key.
    • My Boats a Status Symbol, We Don't Use It
    • Couple Times a Month
    • never

Before the Munchkin was born I was out at least 6-7 times a week, sadly now only 4-5. Still not too bad. 800 hrs on an '04 LSV

Before the new addition to the family I'd go 5-8 times a month at least on my boat and others,I was even going to buy a new boat but now I'm lucky to go twice a month,at least until he's another year older and can take 6hr boat rides. Or the Wife let's me go by myself,which is rare. Innocent.gifDontknow.gif

I am averaging about 3 times a week right now. Usually Friday, Saturday, Sunday around 8:00AM and off by 10:00AM There is usually no one else on the river and its always smooth water Yahoo.gif

Before the new addition to the family I'd go 5-8 times a month at least on my boat and others,I was even going to buy a new boat but now I'm lucky to go twice a month,at least until he's another year older and can take 6hr boat rides. Or the Wife let's me go by myself,which is rare. Innocent.gifDontknow.gif

I'm in the same "boat" as you. I'm lucky if I get out 2-3 times a month. Hopefully, when the kids are a little older, I'm hoping to get out about once a week.

--Robert

Plus1.gif We need a "Couple Times A Month" option for those of us with those things called jobs and/or families that aren't lucky enough to have our boat parked on water. Tongue.gif

I ski twice a week after work with a buddy. Until last week, it rained every weekend in June. Went out with the family for the first time since our third child was born on May 23 (we went out a couple times before May 23 as well). Our 6-year-old picked up where she left off last season skiing. Yahoo.gif She can skied for 15 minutes straight. Clap.gif

Don't despair guys,

Once the kids get older it gets better and you have the added fun of teaching your kids to ski ,board, surf etc. There is nothing quite like watching your kids get up for the first time. It doesn't take long before their hooked and you find yourself on the water more.

Biggrin.gif

I hate to tell you, but it only gets worse. Soon your weekends and weeknights will be taken up with all kinds of sports activities, scouts, clubs or anything else your kids get into. I get out on average about once per week and I have to work to squeeze that in. Thank God for vacation days.

Plus1.gif We need a "Couple Times A Month" option for those of us with those things called jobs and/or families that aren't lucky enough to have our boat parked on water. Tongue.gif

Plus1.gif Yeah, not everyone lives on or near a lake/waterway Mad.gif

I like the 247 choice, I wish it was true Cry.gifCry.gifCry.gifCry.gif

I've read (but can't remember where) that the average boat owner only puts 35 hours on their boat a year. Those of us that can put more than that generally fit into one or more of these: lucky, single, have a spouse that enjoys it too, are self employed, have a job with VERY flexible hours, live on a lake, etc.

Our boat had it's third B-day over Memorial Day. We've averaged 80 hours per year. Some of the ways we rack those hours up are the week long trips we take. We just got back from a week on the water for a youth summer camp - we put 20 hours on it during the week.

I get out at least once a month during the year, but other than the week long trips we take to Trinity, Oroville, summer camp, etc. I'm lucky if I can get out twice a month.

If you look at this poll:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....st&p=103612

You'll see that the hours I reference above don't seem to hold true for the average Bu owner during their first year. I wouldn't doubt though, that it's close to 50 hours per year average. That would make your poll options to need some changing. :)

hard to get out on the water more than 1-2 times a week w/ work in way. can't figure out how to get around that. any ideas?

hard to get out on the water more than 1-2 times a week w/ work in way. can't figure out how to get around that. any ideas?

Are you getting out right now? If so, where? I thought everything was shut down.

When did you start working? Tease.gif

I hate to tell you, but it only gets worse. Soon your weekends and weeknights will be taken up with all kinds of sports activities, scouts, clubs or anything else your kids get into. I get out on average about once per week and I have to work to squeeze that in. Thank God for vacation days.

Yeah, I have a 14yr old too. It started like that when I had a jet ski and a buddies boat. He had soccer then baseball it took a lot of time plus at the time I was a single parent. So I bought him a dirt bike a snowboard and wakeboard and basically said now you have new hobbies. He was 8 or 9 at the time. I guess I'm a bit selfish,my Wife is still trying to fix that :lol:

It worked out pretty good for him and me.

Yeah, I have a 14yr old too. It started like that when I had a jet ski and a buddies boat. He had soccer then baseball it took a lot of time plus at the time I was a single parent. So I bought him a dirt bike a snowboard and wakeboard and basically said now you have new hobbies. He was 8 or 9 at the time. I guess I'm a bit selfish,my Wife is still trying to fix that :lol:

It worked out pretty good for him and me.

That's just plain brilliant! Thanks for the ideas :)

Frankly, I think I learned more about myself, my fears and abilities from my dirt bike than I did in 8 years of soccer. Looking at the face of a sheer dirt hill is scary, and having to get up off the ground and ride that bike home after a hard fall - that's pretty hard stuff.

Isn't that the truth. Thank God my kids are in hockey and all the lakes are frozen during the season so it doesn't impact the boating. That being said, we still only get out 1 a week.

I added the option but all the votes are gone! i have never posted a poll before....did i break it? admins? help? lol.... it still says i already voted

everyone re-vote? guess i shouldnt of tried to add a option?

I added the option but all the votes are gone! i have never posted a poll before....did i break it? admins? help? lol.... it still says i already voted

In adding another selection the numbers we're inadvertently deleted. I added a "never" category just for testing sake and the poll numbers remained the same. If I know which votes you or others had in which category I can correct the error.

I'm with the 2-3 times per week majority, but it is on the river, not the lake. :) We just got back from a day on the river. I didn't do so great, but my younger son cleared the wake for the first time on a kneeboard, and my daughter was going huge on backrolls, but not holding onto the handle. It was busy, but not too busy, although it was sure picking up by the time we left. I would probably get more time on the water if it didn't get so crowded during the 'peak' times. We tend to go early in the morning or on a weekday afternoon, like today. We usually get around 100 hours on the boat in a year, but in the past that has included taking the boat to our church's Houseboat Camp for high school kids, which has added around 25 to 30 of those hours or more. We aren't going this year for the first time in about 12 years. We have 30 hours on the boat so far this year.

Working second shift is great, we get to be on the water when most others are working Thumbup.gif

Now if only those retired fishermen would find another hobby Mad.gif

In adding another selection the numbers we're inadvertently deleted. I added a "never" category just for testing sake and the poll numbers remained the same. If I know which votes you or others had in which category I can correct the error.

Count me in for 2-3 times per week. ROFL.gif

I have found that going out at 5:30 a.m. avoids conflicts with most of the kiddies' activities. And the water is glass or near glass with no stinkin' wallies.