Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunsetter Help

Hello, I am new to the site and looking for some advice. I recently sold my Ski Nautique and am looking at 97-99 Sunsetters. Can anyone explain the difference in the LX and VLX models? Also, are there specific details I should look for on these models. I am seriously considering a 98 v-drive, less than 200 hrs, tandem trailer, interior is showroom condition, $18K. Does that sound like a good price?

The VLX is a V-drive (engine in the back) and the LX is a direct drive (engine in the middle of the boat). The LXi is a variation of the LX that has an extended trunk (the trunk is cantilevered over the hull so it has the same wet surface as the LX). Both are walk through boats with a bow playpen.

We love our 2000 Sunsetter LXi and wouldn't trade it for anything. I think it has a great ski wake and a fine wakeboard wake (for us beginners i.e. non-invert style riders). In my opinion it is one of the best all-purpose boats out there. We also looked at the v-drive and ended up with the d-drive because of the handling and smaller wake (for skiing).

Your mileage may vary based on what you want to do with the boat!

Hulls should be identical - they are both on the wake hull. See the hull chart in the Tech/DIY section. LX is a direct drive. VLX is a V-Drive.

Which engine? What options? Used in salt water at all?

Seems like a reasonable starting price if everything is in good working condition.. Nada guides avg retail is 18.6K without trailer. The NADA on the trailer is about 1.2K.

Edited by weinrdog
The VLX is a V-drive (engine in the back) and the LX is a direct drive (engine in the middle of the boat). The LXi is a variation of the LX that has an extended trunk (the trunk is cantilevered over the hull so it has the same wet surface as the LX). Both are walk through boats with a bow playpen.

We love our 2000 Sunsetter LXi and wouldn't trade it for anything. I think it has a great ski wake and a fine wakeboard wake (for us beginners i.e. non-invert style riders). In my opinion it is one of the best all-purpose boats out there. We also looked at the v-drive and ended up with the d-drive because of the handling and smaller wake (for skiing).

Your mileage may vary based on what you want to do with the boat!

I'll add that the Sunsetter LX is a better boarding and surfing boat (same hull as the pre 05 VLX's and current I/V-rides) and the Sunsetter LXi is a better ski boat.

Just this last weekend, I was finally able to get a good wakeboard wake out of our SSLXi. I was running 500lbs. midship, 500lbs. on each side of the engine, the wedge, plus 2 people in the bow, 2 in the back, 1 on the observers seat, and a driver. I was riding about 70ft. and doing 24mph. That was by far the best wake I have ever gotten out of that boat.

Hulls should be identical - they are both on the wake hull. See the hull chart in the Tech/DIY section. LX is a direct drive. VLX is a V-Drive.

Which engine? What options? Used in salt water at all?

Seems like a reasonable starting price if everything is in good working condition.. Nada guides avg retail is 18.6K without trailer.

Thanks, I thought the LXV was the v-drive but couldn't find any cofirmation. It has a 350 Indemar, freshwater only. I am leaning to the V for wakeboard & surfing. My brother had a 97 and it would throw a nice wake with a fat sack and a couple of 200# brother in laws.

In 99, the Sunsetter LXI went to the Diamond (ski) hull, while the LX remained on the wake hull. I seriously considered the 01 VLX because of the interior layout before deciding on a LXi for the improved ski wake.

What do you expect your primary use to be? Boarding, skiing, tubing (hopefully not), surfing, sky-ski?

In 99, the Sunsetter LXI went to the Diamond (ski) hull, while the LX remained on the wake hull. I seriously considered the 01 VLX because of the interior layout before deciding on a LXi for the improved ski wake.

What do you expect your primary use to be? Boarding, skiing, tubing (hopefully not), surfing, sky-ski?

Mostly boarding and surfing. Thanks for the info, I'll let you know if I close the deal.

Sounds like you're on the right track. The hull should be better for surfing/wakeboarding and the Monsoon is a proven motor. Hope it works out!

apk - I have a 99 Sunsetter VLX, and I couldn't be happier. If you don't ski much, then I'd say definitely go with the v-drive. With a trailer and in good condition, $18k is a steal.

Let us know what you decide on and how it goes.

If you never plan on skiing then the LX would be a better choice if not then the VLX is what I'd suggest. Add the wedge to the VLX and a couple of sacs and it'll prefrom nicely for wakeboarding and surfing.