Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Garage Canopy???

05wake

I am getting an 05 VLX with the Illusion X on an Extreme trailer. I will have to store it outside but I am looking for a garage canopy to cover it. Can anyone suggest one?

Also does anyone know the height of the VLX on the trailer?

Thanks

If you don't get an answer on the height, I'll measure mine tonight. I have that exact boat/tower/trailer combo as well.

I've been meaning to get a measurement anyway.

• 5 months later...

I got mine from King Canopy with the extension legs. I had to lift up the canopy about 18". The top of the VLX on the extreme trailer is about 9'. I love having mine under the canopy.

If you want anymore information, PM me with your e-mail address and I can go over more specifics.

Good Luck,

Joe

• 3 months later...

Sorry to resurrect- but I meant to respond to this thread in November and spaced.

Thought some of you might find this helpful:

I purchased the 10 x 27 King Canopy from Costco for $170.

Wanted to elevate it so that I could fit my 2005 23 XTi under it w/o having to lower the tower everytime, which was a PITA on that model year tower. The trick with elevating it was to do it in such a way that it was stable. Decided to try and anchor the legs with steel piping/tubing.

Spent many weeks trying to identify steel piping/tubing that would serve as suitable "leg extensions" and ended up buying 8 units of 1 and a 1/4 (quarter) inch steel piping at Home Depot. I sunk all 8 legs into the ground at least 2-3 feet (this varied in order for them to all be level at the top), and then poured in 8-10 inches of concrete into each base.

I then inserted the canopy legs into each of the steel pipes and set them at a height of ~110-112 inches. I then drilled a hole all the way through each leg (canopy leg inside the steel piping) and inserted pins through each hole to keep them in place.

The greatest expense was the steel piping at ~$28 each.

This canopy structure is ROCK SOLID, and designed to allow the canopy material to yield in a high wind situation while --hopefully-- maintaining the metal structure in hopes of avoiding any damage to the boat. It has held up to high winds of 40 MPH and 8 inches of wet snow this winter and is still in great shape. We keep the boat in indoor storage through the winter, and have parked a truck under the canopy during the winter.

Pics to follow. PM me if you have any questions.

I spent a little more and got an all metal carport from Tristate Carports in Virginia. They make it any size you want and there are many color options. Mine is 12' wide by 31' long, 12' high in the center and closed on 3 sides. Cost was $2300 installed. The boat goes in nicely with the tower up. I tried to post a picture but the file size is too large.

They have local installers all over the U.S.

If you want a REALLY good shed for your boat, but without constructing a building or getting permits, look at Fred Sheds. Secure them with the supplied anchors and they'll weather any storm.

http://www.wemaketents.com/portablegarages.html

We bought some for use at the dealership, and then started selling them. We currently have boats stored for the winter in a 12x10x40, a 12x10x24, a 24x12x28, and a 24x12x68. (This big one has 12 Malibu's in it, on trailers)

Peter

Sorry to resurrect- but I meant to respond to this thread in November and spaced.

Thought some of you might find this helpful:

I purchased the 10 x 27 King Canopy from Costco for $170.

Wanted to elevate it so that I could fit my 2005 23 XTi under it w/o having to lower the tower everytime, which was a PITA on that model year tower. The trick with elevating it was to do it in such a way that it was stable. Decided to try and anchor the legs with steel piping/tubing.

Spent many weeks trying to identify steel piping/tubing that would serve as suitable "leg extensions" and ended up buying 8 units of 1 and a 1/4 (quarter) inch steel piping at Home Depot. I sunk all 8 legs into the ground at least 2-3 feet (this varied in order for them to all be level at the top), and then poured in 8-10 inches of concrete into each base.

I then inserted the canopy legs into each of the steel pipes and set them at a height of ~110-112 inches. I then drilled a hole all the way through each leg (canopy leg inside the steel piping) and inserted pins through each hole to keep them in place.

The greatest expense was the steel piping at ~$28 each.

This canopy structure is ROCK SOLID, and designed to allow the canopy material to yield in a high wind situation while --hopefully-- maintaining the metal structure in hopes of avoiding any damage to the boat. It has held up to high winds of 40 MPH and 8 inches of wet snow this winter and is still in great shape. We keep the boat in indoor storage through the winter, and have parked a truck under the canopy during the winter.

Pics to follow. PM me if you have any questions.

The pipe you were looking for is 2" muffler pipe. It has the same OD as the Costco "STOCK " 6' pipes, and fits into the footkits. Anchor that baby to the concrete, and your in business.

I cut mine to about 9', thus raising the center of the canopy high enough for the tower. Been on the side of my house for years, and all I do is replace the canopy thru Overtons every other year.

post-81-1141271110_thumb.jpg

Also, King canopy offered leg extension kits, that was the easiest for me. The leg extensions had 4 inch pads with holes to bolt to the cement.