Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Does the prop spin in natural?

I have always wondered if the prop completely stops when in Natural. Should I turn it off when somebody is getting in and out of the boat?

They will freewheel as the boat is coasting to a stop, but usually in water, the prop will not be turning in neutral. If it is, it's extremely slight.

Plus1.gif

They will freewheel as the boat is coasting to a stop, but usually in water, the prop will not be turning in neutral. If it is, it's extremely slight.

Plus1.gif

...and if it ever hit something, like a leg for example it, would stop rather than continuing to turn and causing damage.

In the water, if it does spin, it's very slow and shouldn't do any damage. I only say shouldn't because I've never tried it. But I do know when I run mine on the trailer something makes the prop spin, even in neutral. I can hear the strut bearing squeal due to no lubrication if you rev it up a little. I haven't yet tried to figure out how the transmission allows the output shaft to turn at all, but it does. Maybe because it is more like a neutral and not like "park" in a car.

From what I've heard, technically it should not be spinning in neutral. The only way it could be is the forward clutch plates binding due to warpage, a bad rebuild with incorrect clearances, or something else making them stick.

One big reason to turn the boat off when someone is getting in/out is safety. If you accidently bump the throttle in gear, the person could get hurt. The other reason is if the person is getting on / off the platform, they can / will inhale the carbon dioxide gases from the exhaust. We always have the engine off when doing both.

Depending on tolerances, the prop can slowly spin in neutral but not too significant, but also the exhaust exiting the boat will actually slowly move it forward since it is in the water.

One big reason to turn the boat off when someone is getting in/out is safety. If you accidently bump the throttle in gear, the person could get hurt. The other reason is if the person is getting on / off the platform, they can / will inhale the carbon dioxide gases from the exhaust. We always have the engine off when doing both.

Depending on tolerances, the prop can slowly spin in neutral but not too significant, but also the exhaust exiting the boat will actually slowly move it forward since it is in the water.

Its carbon monoxide