Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Newbie to surfin'

Charlie

This is my first year surfin' so I bought a CWB Ride (5'3") board. I can go ropeless for quite a while and have been trying to figure out how to do anything more exciting. I can't figure out how to do it. Is it the nature of the board? I have a decent wake in a VLX with 750 in the surfside locker, but still can't do anything other than carve up and down on the wake.

I'd buy another board, but I'm not sure if it is me or the board. Dontknow.gif

I wanna spin, but the board says no.

Whining aside... man that's fun and I don't spend near as much time at the chiropractor as I used to.

Charlie

I'm not really familiar with the board, but are you trying to spin it on the top of the wake by getting the fins out of the water a bit? Does it have removable fins? You might try shortening them up about a 1/4" at a time.

UW Skier - It does have some pretty serious fins on it. I think I'll remove a couple of them and see what happens.

By the way. I noticed you have a 2001 sunsetter and I have a 2001 wakesetter. Is there a difference or is it just a sticker. My boat says wakesetter on the side and sunsetter on the vin plate so I assume it is the same hull. I've been pretty happy with it so far. Just bought it a few months ago and have been using it a couple times per week.

I'll try to get that board up on the top and give it a spin.

Thanks,

Charlie

I'm not really familiar with the board, but are you trying to spin it on the top of the wake by getting the fins out of the water a bit? Does it have removable fins? You might try shortening them up about a 1/4" at a time.

Nope. Ours is a diamond. Yours is a wake hull. You won't have to work as hard to make a big wake as me. :)

I know your boat didn't come with a wedge. Are you only running the 750 for ballast? I'd suggest another few hundred pounds under the side seats (where the rear light is stored) and another 400-500 in the bow to really make that wake rock.

I'll have some wake pics soon from this weekend with 600 in the back, 500 under the side seats, and 500 in the bow, plus about 8 people. :)

UW - Yah, 750 in the locker and the factory MLS is all we are running. I've been thinking about adding more, but wasn't sure if adding weight on the "non-surf side" would help. That's it... roadtrip to Seattle Water Sports this weekend for more ballast. I really want to try some more weight... especially in the bow. Thanks, Charlie

Nope. Ours is a diamond. Yours is a wake hull. You won't have to work as hard to make a big wake as me. :)

I know your boat didn't come with a wedge. Are you only running the 750 for ballast? I'd suggest another few hundred pounds under the side seats (where the rear light is stored) and another 400-500 in the bow to really make that wake rock.

I'll have some wake pics soon from this weekend with 600 in the back, 500 under the side seats, and 500 in the bow, plus about 8 people. :)

Yeah, don't add weight to the opposite side of the boat. I think he thought you were surfing on the left side but it sounds like your a goofy so your on the right side. That 750 is perfect but adding more weight to the surf side is even more helpful. Definitely put weight up in the bow if you don't have built in ballast up there. Your boat has great potential to make a great wave for riding.

As far as the CWB Ride, it is a good beginner board that we have as well but not really made for spinning although it can be done. Take out just the rear center fin and leave the two sides on and that will make it looser for breaking into a spin. There are much better boards out there for riding, spinning, and popping off the lip that you will move up to.

Enjoy the surfing....it seems it's all I do now.

Update... I ordered a 440lb launch pad that should be here tomorrow. I'm going to put it in the bow and see what happens. I'll remove that center fin this afternoon and see how it goes. Thanks, Charlie

Yeah, don't add weight to the opposite side of the boat. I think he thought you were surfing on the left side but it sounds like your a goofy so your on the right side. That 750 is perfect but adding more weight to the surf side is even more helpful. Definitely put weight up in the bow if you don't have built in ballast up there. Your boat has great potential to make a great wave for riding.

As far as the CWB Ride, it is a good beginner board that we have as well but not really made for spinning although it can be done. Take out just the rear center fin and leave the two sides on and that will make it looser for breaking into a spin. There are much better boards out there for riding, spinning, and popping off the lip that you will move up to.

Enjoy the surfing....it seems it's all I do now.

My 2 fat sacs just arrived from wake space and i'm getting nervous. I'm off to the lake tomorrow to try surfing for the first time. 600lb up front with 750lb in the rear locker and maybe the wedge?? I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight!

Edited by Arkid

thread steal:

my youngest just started real surfing (i.e. we live less than a mile from the ocean, so she is on real waves). I told her she should try surfing behind our BU (I know the RLX won't really have much of a wake, and she will probably have to still use the rope). My question is, will she be able to use her regular ocean board for this (she has a small shortboard, i have no idea what or anything about it)?

thread steal off.

My 2 fat sacs just arrived from wake space and i'm getting nervous. I'm off to the lake tomorrow to try surfing for the first time. 600lb up front with 750lb in the rear locker and maybe the wedge?? I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight!

That should rock! How much VAB do you have? :)

I don't know why you couldn't use an ocean board. Might be limited in what you can do though. I feel limited on my 5'3" CWB Ride.

I've "surfed" with my 11' long windboard on a rope before so what the heck, whatever works. Gotta admit, we looked like some real hillbillies, but we had fun and thats what its all about.

My wife wants to ocean surf now that we have been doing it behind the boat. I'm too lazy to paddle that much though. Biggrin.gif

-Charlie

thread steal:

my youngest just started real surfing (i.e. we live less than a mile from the ocean, so she is on real waves). I told her she should try surfing behind our BU (I know the RLX won't really have much of a wake, and she will probably have to still use the rope). My question is, will she be able to use her regular ocean board for this (she has a small shortboard, i have no idea what or anything about it)?

thread steal off.

My wife wants to ocean surf now that we have been doing it behind the boat. I'm too lazy to paddle that much though. Biggrin.gif

-Charlie

she was out in the ocean for 2 hours wed, 5 thurs, and about 7 today. Paddling may suck, but I sat there and watched, and thought it about how much gas money I was saving Yahoo.gif

UW - How'd it go?

I put 440 in the front of mine this weekend and it made a huge difference. I filled the factory ballast in the center, put the 440 in front of that and 750 in the back locker. The wake goes out to the side of the boat more now and it is a blast to go back and forth rather than just riding right behind the boat. Now if I can teach my wife how to slow down prior to hitting the boat. She comes screaming forward and then can't hit the brakes hard enough. Our CRB "Ride" now has a flat spot on the tip of it, but the boat doesn't have a scratch!

By the way, what is VAB?

Charlie

UW - How'd it go?

I put 440 in the front of mine this weekend and it made a huge difference. I filled the factory ballast in the center, put the 440 in front of that and 750 in the back locker. The wake goes out to the side of the boat more now and it is a blast to go back and forth rather than just riding right behind the boat. Now if I can teach my wife how to slow down prior to hitting the boat. She comes screaming forward and then can't hit the brakes hard enough. Our CRB "Ride" now has a flat spot on the tip of it, but the boat doesn't have a scratch!

By the way, what is VAB?

Charlie

VAB = Voice Activated Ballast (People.....'Hey, move over there')

Bow ballast is underestimated in terms of effect but it's necessary IMO to really be able to retreat and advance on the boat. It gives you a nice long wave. Good to hear you have it dialed in! Sounds pretty close to my setup. I think I'm going to try without the wedge once and see how that works just out of curiosity.

Bow ballast is underestimated in terms of effect but it's necessary IMO to really be able to retreat and advance on the boat. It gives you a nice long wave. Good to hear you have it dialed in! Sounds pretty close to my setup. I think I'm going to try without the wedge once and see how that works just out of curiosity.

Ed Zackery

And about the wedge - we were training some new girls yesterday and pulled the wedge up and it made the wake a lot less steep - also took a good amout of size off it in general but made it easier for them to learn.

We had two VAB's and a driver. The bow weight did make it a lot longer wake too. That seemed to be the key to happiness because it is a game to see who can drift back, save it, and charge forward. Who wants to suck on the boat mufflers the whole time anyhow? Crazy.gif

Its a kick to drift back and then save it at the last minute. - Charlie

What a feeling that is!!!! I couldn't go ropeless though as I don't think that the wake is long or high enough. It felt like everytime I got in a good position I was almost on the swimstep so i'd back off then i'd need the rope again. My speed seemed fast too. Anything 11mph and under just produced wash. The wave started to form up pretty nice around 12.5+.

I think I need to add more ballast front and side??? Would this make the wave longer? Would this enable me to ride at slower speeds or am I ok at 12.5mph?

It didn't feel right being right up to the swim step.

post-1857-1184729047_thumb.jpg

I basically rode on the swim step too for the first few times out, but after jockeying some ballast around life got much easier. We found that as soon as a surfer is up, romp the boat up a little faster and then back out of it. The wake seems to develop quicker then. That could be specific to our boat, but food for thought.

Yes, a 440 bag in the front of our boat really seemed to lengthen the wake.

I've never been around anyone else that surfed so I don't know what the normal speed is. We started out real slow, but now go whatever speed we need to get a nice wake rolling over.

I pretty much bought our boat with the intent of learning to surf and my wife and I have been having a blast. Thumbup.gif

- Charlie

What a feeling that is!!!! I couldn't go ropeless though as I don't think that the wake is long or high enough. It felt like everytime I got in a good position I was almost on the swimstep so i'd back off then i'd need the rope again. My speed seemed fast too. Anything 11mph and under just produced wash. The wave started to form up pretty nice around 12.5+.

I think I need to add more ballast front and side??? Would this make the wave longer? Would this enable me to ride at slower speeds or am I ok at 12.5mph?

I think you'll find if you move that back foot forward on the board about 2 inches you'll stay up with the boat no problem with that wave. 12.5 is a little fast though. As Charlie mentioned, you can cruise up to that speed, then back it down a bit to get the wave to set up faster. I think you're on the right track though ballast-wise. More in the bow and more on the surf side should give you a nice wave shape. And don't be afraid of riding right off the platform when you're first learning. That's a good place to get a feel for riding ropeless before you really start to attack the wave.

If you don't have ballast for now, try having the driver make large circles while turning the boat to the surf side. You'll destroy the water for anyone else out there, but if you're in a cove with no other boats, that will give you a really nice wake at a lower speed. It will however shorten the wave up a bit.

I think you'll find if you move that back foot forward on the board about 2 inches you'll stay up with the boat no problem with that wave. 12.5 is a little fast though. As Charlie mentioned, you can cruise up to that speed, then back it down a bit to get the wave to set up faster. I think you're on the right track though ballast-wise. More in the bow and more on the surf side should give you a nice wave shape. And don't be afraid of riding right off the platform when you're first learning. That's a good place to get a feel for riding ropeless before you really start to attack the wave.

If you don't have ballast for now, try having the driver make large circles while turning the boat to the surf side. You'll destroy the water for anyone else out there, but if you're in a cove with no other boats, that will give you a really nice wake at a lower speed. It will however shorten the wave up a bit.

I tried to back down the speed but it just washed out even 1mph slower. I'm going to get one of those triangle shaped bow sacks that holds about 1000lbs up front and move the locker sacks over to the side and see how that works. Thanks for the tip about the rear foot. My wife had hers farther forward but she seemed to nose dive so I just moved mine all the way back so I wouldn't do the same.