Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

23xti vs 23lsv

neill

I know this has probably come up before but we're still torn between two boats. IYO which will have the better slalom wake? Keep in mind, the wife skis at slower speeds and our son barefoots.

Thanks.

I know this has probably come up before but we're still torn between two boats. IYO which will have the better slalom wake? Keep in mind, the wife skis at slower speeds and our son barefoots.

Thanks.

the xti will have better slalom wake and the lsv will have better wakeboarding and surfing wake.

From a 21' XTI point of view, if she doesn't ski faster than 29 mph she will know the wake is there, and you'll have to learn how to short line ski. Mine seems to have the best wake at 28 off but we have to slow down the mph down a lot. You'll get more feedback on this one.

I skied behind a 21 XTI with the wakesetter hull and it seemed like hitting a wall crossing the wake. I have the 23LSV with the diamond hull and it is very decent at 32 and with a light load in the boat. At 34 it is very nice for a 23 ft boat.

The xti does not have a good slalom wake either.

Don't plan on doing any course worthy slalom skiing

I don't like it for free slalom skiing either. Not the best boarding wake either. I think it was noble idea on BU's part as a crossover boat, but I think it lacks better than average on both. I also do not like being separated by the engine.

I don't like it for free slalom skiing either. Not the best boarding wake either. I think it was noble idea on BU's part as a crossover boat, but I think it lacks better than average on both. I also do not like being separated by the engine.

OUCH!!

I have had great luck with mine. I guess I'm not as picky.

Although I can't speak to the 23XTI, I have found my 21 XTI is a great cross over boat. I think the wake is great for wake boarding, footing and free skiing. If you are a picky slalom nut that runs the course, this is not the boat for you....but then again a V-drive will not be any closer.

The seating in the XTI is great for watching the action when pulling people. It can't be beat. If you like to sit around all day and talk, the V-drive is what you want, but when pulling folks, your guests in the back will have to twist around to see unless they are in the observer seat. It's really what you want.

We have found that the wake is great for wakeboarding when using the wedge, MLS. I have pulled people that have been able to do tricks that I couldn't imagine are possible, including Rallies 30-40 feet into the flats, front and back flips. Although I lack the skill, the equiptment is not the problem.

I can forward you pictures of the wake pulling double footers, skiing, etc. Just PM me.

I don't know how the wake is on the 23, but that's my 2 cents on the 21 xti wakesetter.

I skied behind a 21 XTI with the wakesetter hull and it seemed like hitting a wall crossing the wake. I have the 23LSV with the diamond hull and it is very decent at 32 and with a light load in the boat. At 34 it is very nice for a 23 ft boat.

Yup, I have the same setup. V25 hull does not help, I'm still working on trying to find out what speed, rope length and weight balance I can set up to get the best wake out of it. So far what we have been skiing at behind the boat just feels brutal crossing the wake, I went out once when we bought it and I believe I was at 15 off @ 30 mph and the wake didn't feel to bad, but we only had two people in the boat. So far the boat seems very weight sensitive so it makes it really hard to go out wakeboarding and then turn around with the same amount of people and slalom ski. I have also noticed that with the bimini top up the boat also wants to lift up more in the front causing more weight transfer to the transom. My last option is to remove the top, drop people off on the shore while we do our slalom sets Dontknow.gif We'll work on that at the Norcal WOW and see what happens.

I have the 23xti and have to say, I absolutely LOVE IT! I'm not that picky of a skier but enjoy barefooting, free skiing and wake boarding. I looked at the 21xti and decided that the 23 would better fit my riding style (wife, kid, 2 other couples and 4 more kids). I don't know many boats that you could be comfortable on with 10 people, food, and drinks all day long and still be able to ski with NO problems. Is the wake something I'd try and run the course? NO, but that wasn't my goal, I wanted a boat that the entire family and several friends could enjoy and we do. If I really want to do some time on the course, I'll go to my dads and use his '88 skier.

OUCH!!

I have had great luck with mine. I guess I'm not as picky.

Although I can't speak to the 23XTI, I have found my 21 XTI is a great cross over boat. I think the wake is great for wake boarding, footing and free skiing. If you are a picky slalom nut that runs the course, this is not the boat for you....but then again a V-drive will not be any closer.

The seating in the XTI is great for watching the action when pulling people. It can't be beat. If you like to sit around all day and talk, the V-drive is what you want, but when pulling folks, your guests in the back will have to twist around to see unless they are in the observer seat. It's really what you want.

We have found that the wake is great for wakeboarding when using the wedge, MLS. I have pulled people that have been able to do tricks that I couldn't imagine are possible, including Rallies 30-40 feet into the flats, front and back flips. Although I lack the skill, the equiptment is not the problem.

I can forward you pictures of the wake pulling double footers, skiing, etc. Just PM me.

I don't know how the wake is on the 23, but that's my 2 cents on the 21 xti wakesetter.

I totally agree with you, so far the wake for boarding has proven to be very acceptable. With more ballast and wedge adjustment we can get much more, but for now it is more than what we need. We are not course skiers and probably never will with this type of boat, so what we are trying to do is find the best spot to cross the wake, the right speed and just go out and have fun. That's what it's really all about is having fun, unless your a pro, and then at that point there is only one boat for each type of sport and there is no substitute :blush:

I totally agree with you, so far the wake for boarding has proven to be very acceptable. With more ballast and wedge adjustment we can get much more, but for now it is more than what we need. We are not course skiers and probably never will with this type of boat, so what we are trying to do is find the best spot to cross the wake, the right speed and just go out and have fun. That's what it's really all about is having fun, unless your a pro, and then at that point there is only one boat for each type of sport and there is no substitute :blush:

68 hits it on the head with that statement. I have been very happy with my 23 xti (diamond hull). I grew up with a 19 foot I/O and spent years slaloming behind that boat and didn't know any better. I now have the xti and it is better than any I/O I've ever been behind so from my perspective it is a great recreational wake. I can then fill the mls, add wedge and have a big enough wake for anyone I board with. Dump one side and then you have a surfable wave that is good with a longer board. I really believe it's a great crossover boat which is good at all towsports, but maybe not great at any of them, if that makes sense. If you want great you have to get the boat that is built specifically for that discipline. Even those here who own vdrives add 750's to the lockers to make them better. My point is that you can also start adding ballast to the xti and get bigger and better also.

For skiing, you'll definitely notice a difference when you have a lot of people in that boat and also the fuel tank is right on the back of the boat so 47 gallons is approaching 400 lbs. The best ski wake for me is a clean boat, low fuel, and about 15-21 off.

My boat is definitely family boat and the seating arrangement doesn't detract from that at all. Often times we are out with at least one other family and the kids have their place and the adults can be in the lounge area. The engine separating the two isn't so bad at that point! Anyway, it's a great boat, I COULDN"T BE HAPPIER! Well, unless it was a 23 foot boat with an absolutely FLAT ski wake. Oh well, I'm glad I have friends with Responses for the course skiing! I never have seen the ski wake of a lsv diamond hull, but logic says the xti will be much better. Can't back that with experience though. Either way, you're gonna love you new Malibu!

You're welcome to PM me if you have any other specific questions about the 23 xti. I was going to start a 23 xti thread sometime soon with pics of the wakes because there really isn't much info on this site about it.

I have pulled people that have been able to do tricks that I couldn't imagine are possible, including Rallies 30-40 feet into the flats,

I have to call complete BS on this one.

I bought a 23xti in 2004 with the diamond hull and wakesetter graphics. Our family loved the boad and we actually really enjoyed the layout. I had a sunsetter lxi before it, so i had to adjust to the slalom wake. I only used it for open water skiiing at 34 mph, but thought the wake was pretty decent for a 23 foot boat and with the wedge and ballast filled, got a really nice wakeboarding wake.

We moved to Phoenix and found access to a course and actually skiid through the course a couple of times with the 23 xti. I realized to get serious, i would need to get a tournament slalom boat. So i sold half of the xti to my son-in-law in vegas and bought a response lxi with a partner in phoenix. My son-in-law wakeboards and loves the boat.

So if not for course skiiing, i was very happy with the 23 xti. My wife still misses that boat, but we use it for our lake powell trips, so we still get some time on it. It is a fantastic boat on big lakes like Powell. Great to cruise in, still get a very enjoyable slalom pull (even though i am getting spoiled by the response lxi), and everybody who boards behind it is very happy. So I think it is a great all around boat.